New number one needed (2 Viewers)

BlueSkiesForever

There's a strong argument that the keeper is the most impactful position. It certainly isn't one that can be taken that lightly you can afford to have someone in there who drops a clanger every game.
Completely agree Clint, if we have a stronger defence then we give ourselves a more likely chance of not conceding shitty goals to Swansea or Huddersfield or QPR or Birmingham or Hull etc.

SBT

I really do think we need to buy quality this season. We should be looking to buy a LB, two CMs, a CB and a GK at the very least.
For every outfield position you’ve mentioned, I would choose to invest £2 million in even a backup option over a keeper every time.

If you can replace the likes of Latibeaudiere, Dasilva, Tavares, Kelly etc with a Torp/Saka/Thomas-quality player, just imagine how much better the side looks over the course of the season.

BlueSkiesForever

I think it's also hard to accurately judge defenders when they've got a keeper they don't trust behind them
Definitely, I personally don’t think either Collins or Wilson have the full trust of any of our defenders, and with Collins in particular I don’t see a lot of commanding going on, especially on a regular basis, it’s very much keep shape and hope nothing gets through. Some games Collins has been decent but he’s not consistently good, I’m just strongly of the opinion we need to improve quite a bit this season to put ourselves firmly top 4.

clint van damme

For every outfield position you’ve mentioned, I would choose to invest £2 million in even a backup option over a keeper every time.

If you can replace the likes of Latibeaudiere, Dasilva, Tavares, Kelly etc with a Torp/Saka/Thomas-quality player, just imagine how much better the side looks over the course of the season.

As Alex Ferguson said, a good keeper is worth 15 points a season, you're massively underpaying the importance of the role.
The outfield players are going to have to do something incredible if a keeper is gifting the opposition a goal every game.

BlueSkiesForever

I also agree we should be upgrading those positions, I think we need a couple of CMs, a CB or two, a LB and maybe another winger, I just also think we need a proper decent keeper.
But yeah I do agree we should probably look to sort the midfield and defence out first. Genuinely think it will cost a fair bit of money to get us to be a consistent quality side next season.

skybluecam

What pattern? A keeper that came up with the team, two keepers that cost £5m, a loan and a free. That isn’t a pattern, two of those cost a fair whack, three of those didn’t, there’s no correlation there. My point is we need to buy quality, if it costs £5 mil it costs £5 mil, if costs £1 mil it costs £1 mil. I’m not arsed where they come from we just need to be relying on better than Collins and Wilson. If we have a strong defence and a keeper that has a strong presence then you’d think we’d concede less goals, surely?
The pattern is they either came from league one or cost more than £2m.

There's no way we should or would spend £5m on a keeper lmao

We'll bring one in I'm sure but it's nowhere near as simple as you seem to think.

clint van damme

I also agree we should be upgrading those positions, I think we need a couple of CMs, a CB or two, a LB and maybe another winger, I just also think we need a proper decent keeper.
But yeah I do agree we should probably look to sort the midfield and defence out first. Genuinely think it will cost a fair bit of money to get us to be a consistent quality side next season.

Agree, a decent keeper isn't a magic bullet, there are other areas need attention.
But the idea we can sort them out and then we'll be ok persevering with jazz hands is crazy.

clint van damme

We'll bring one in I'm sure but it's nowhere near as simple as you seem to think.

Recruitment never is, regardless of the fees involved but it needs sorting.

skybluecam

Recruitment never is, regardless of the fees involved but it needs sorting.
Quite, but unless there is an experienced championship keeper we can attract on a free I think we'll end up with one inexperienced at this level, whether that is from abroad, league one or a young keeper from the prem, so there's no guarantee they'll immediately be better than Collins.

As I said before, it's only in the last 6/7 games Collins has dropped some clangers. If he could return to his previous form he's fine at this level.

shmmeee

There's a strong argument that the keeper is the most impactful position. It certainly isn't one that can be taken that lightly you can afford to have someone in there who drops a clanger every game.

Then why are Rotherham, who have what is recognised as one of the best keepers in the division, getting relegated?

BlueSkiesForever

Okay but it’s a bit of a strange pattern, not sure if that really means anything? I’m not having a go or anything, I just think we need a better keeper that’s it really.
But yeah I think £5 mil is too much for a keeper in the championship, something around £2-£3 mil for a keeper that’s better quality than Wilson or Collins would surely be an upgrade on our current situation.

SBT

As Alex Ferguson said, a good keeper is worth 15 points a season, you're massively underpaying the importance of the role.
The outfield players are going to have to do something incredible if a keeper is gifting the opposition a goal every game.
Can we really attribute 15 points solely to Collins, even over this insanely bad run? As horrible as he’s been the past few weeks, he still isn’t even close to gifting the opposition a goal every game.

clint van damme

Then why are Rotherham, who have what is recognised as one of the best keepers in the division, getting relegated?

Read post 430.
And it's a ridiculous argument anyway, you could just as easily say if attackers are so important why did the team with leagues top scorer only stay up on the last day?
It's over simplified nonsense.

skybluecam

Okay but it’s a bit of a strange pattern, not sure if that really means anything? I’m not having a go or anything, I just think we need a better keeper that’s it really.
But yeah I think £5 mil is too much for a keeper in the championship, something around £2-£3 mil for a keeper that’s better quality than Wilson or Collins would surely be an upgrade on our current situation.
I was responding to you saying we need to spend £1-2m on a keeper and not buy from league one. Which would've ruled us out of signing any of the top 4 keepers in the league this season.

clint van damme

Can we really attribute 15 points solely to Collins, even over this insanely bad run? As horrible as he’s been the past few weeks, he still isn’t even close to gifting the opposition a goal every game.

I'm not sure you've understood Fergusons quote.
And Collins has done more than most to derail our play off chances I the last month or so, but again, there are other factors, I'm not saying if we sign a topclass keeper all is rosy but we definitely need a big upgrade.

skybluecam

Johansson is overrated and not great with his feet. Not sure why everyone thinks he's one of the best in the division, easy to look good when you face so many shots and aren't expected to keep clean sheets. His psxg prevented is similar to Collins.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hmm, since the Wolves game:

Huddersfield-1
Cardiff-0
Leeds-0
Southampton-1
Birmingham-0
Hull-1
Blackburn-0
Ipswich-1
QPR-1

5 out of the last 9, so not every game, but still too frequent.

clint van damme

Johansson is overrated and not great with his feet. Not sure why everyone thinks he's one of the best in the division, easy to look good when you face so many shots and aren't expected to keep clean sheets. His psxg prevented is similar to Collins.

I agree, when we're playing well we can really dominate games, how would he perform when he has long periods doing nothing?
Though I'd bet his hands and feet wouldn't stop working!

Brighton Sky Blue

Which are you blaming on Collins? This is hysteria imo, neither of the goals were his fault.
It's not really 'hysteria', but I think he's at fault for the winning goal. He was also let off the hook arseing around at the back just a few minutes before then too.

BlueSkiesForever

I was responding to you saying we need to spend £1-2m on a keeper and not buy from league one. Which would've ruled us out of signing any of the top 4 keepers in the league this season.
Ah right, fair enough, like point taken but going forward I’m not mad keen on these stats about the top keepers having to either from lower leagues or be over £5 mil. Of course that’s true for this season but is that always going to be the case going forward? I somehow doubt it?

I think we just need to sign quality, if it costs £1.5 mil that’s fine, if it’s costs £4.2 mil that’s fine. The priority is to get someone that’s just downright good and doesn’t make errors. How we go about finding that player I’ve no idea but that’s personally what I’d be telling the management to be doing if I was Doug 😂

Brighton Sky Blue

Ah right, fair enough, like point taken but going forward I’m not mad keen on these stats about the top keepers having to either from lower leagues or be over £5 mil. Of course that’s true for this season but is that always going to be the case going forward? I somehow doubt it?

I think we just need to sign quality, if it costs £1.5 mil that’s fine, if it’s costs £4.2 mil that’s fine. The priority is to get someone that’s just downright good and doesn’t make errors. How we go about finding that player I’ve no idea but that’s personally what I’d be telling the management to be doing if I was Doug 😂
It's not as though they're deliberately trying to sign keepers who throw the ball into their own goal, but at the same time keepers who are good at commanding their box, shot stopping, and distributing the ball don't tend to be found at this level and certainly not cheap.

Brighton Sky Blue

I make Lati at fault for that one. He's averaging about a goal against per game himself.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Shouldn't be beat at your near post especially when it's not hit with any real pace. Though Lati did somehow let him get the shot away you're right.

skybluegod

'Sign good players' that's a novel concept!

SBT

I'm not sure you've understood Fergusons quote.
And Collins has done more than most to derail our play off chances I the last month or so, but again, there are other factors, I'm not saying if we sign a topclass keeper all is rosy but we definitely need a big upgrade.
I haven’t seen the Ferguson quote - when/where did he say it?

Hmm, since the Wolves game:

Huddersfield-1
Cardiff-0
Leeds-0
Southampton-1
Birmingham-0
Hull-1
Blackburn-0
Ipswich-1
QPR-1

5 out of the last 9, so not every game, but still too frequent.
Pretty awful - maybe even as bad as he gets his entire first team career - but still nowhere near as bad as people are suggesting.

Brighton Sky Blue

Pretty awful - maybe even as bad as he gets his entire first team career - but still nowhere near as bad as people are suggesting.
All other things being equal those clangers cost 4 points, Kitching booting it into his own goal cost another one and that's already half the final gap to the playoffs. I can see Clint's point even if I don't entirely agree.

skybluecam

It's not really 'hysteria', but I think he's at fault for the winning goal. He was also let off the hook arseing around at the back just a few minutes before then too.
Deflected shot from 6 yards out that goes in off the post? Incredibly harsh. He made some great saves that night too.

Users who are viewing this thread