New players? Do we really need any (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

After seeing the norwich game i thought we dont really need many new players
Goalkeeper, we would obviously need a new one if westwood go's
Left back: hussey has been on fine form, brilliant going forward
Centre backs, turner mcpake craine cameron wood, all did pretty well last season
Right back: keogh great player good going forward, clarke getting better every game, looks good going forward
Left midfield: mcsheffers obvs good player, baker can also play here and hussey i think would do a good job here
Centre mid: clingan has been super recently, gunna if he stays is quality but if he goes then maybe we will have to invest in a new player, craine also great here and carsley is a good leader, deegan looked very good when he came on against norwich
Right mid: baker at times is like messi and at other times he gives the ball away trying to be messi when he should just pass, bell has been super recently geting forward well and working well with the full backs.
Strikers: king great player but i think he will go so we will need another goal scorer, juke has been in very good form recently, i can really see him bagging a few next year, eastwood, hasnt really ever played well for cov, platt can play well but he is never going to be a 30 goal a season player that will get us promoted.
So we don't need much investment on players as we have a good squad but there is gaps for improvment
Pusb

gouldberg

Personally I think defensively we'll be OK with who we have as long as the mentality is right. It hasn't been so much a problem of quality, more concentration. Our defence never seems to concentrate for an entire game. Look how well Ward has done at Norwich.

We need a goalkeeper (personally I think we need 2), a winger as to me Bell is now a central player and at least 1 striker. Other than that you are right, it won't take much. We may have lost Carsley but if (and it is still an if) Thomas comes back from Liverpool with a bit about him we could be in business!

kg82

Don't think we're going to get wingers as Thorn isn't playing with wingers, all the midfielders seem to share the responsibility of going out wide or playing in the middle. But we can't go on the assumption that players won't get injured, suspended or have a dip in form. So yeah, I think we need a few new faces, especially if King, Gunnar and Westwood go.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Centre back?? Really?? We seem to have a numher of players who can play here and a good job. My top 2 would he Turner and Crainie with Wood and McPake as back up, and Cameron go on loan! Keough can also play there and do a good job but i prefer him at RB because he likes goin gorward.

We still need a decent striker, irrespective of whether King stays or goes. Jukiewicz will be a star next year, but we still need someone else. I no we've got Platt and Eastwood but I dont believe either will cut it next season.

Midfield wise, with the system we are playing now, we just need back up players. Sheffers suits the system, but im not sure Baker cut it when covering hin! Maybe he'll do more next season. Also need an adequate replacement for Clingan should he have a period out injured. We've seen over the last 2 seasons how much we miss him when hes out.

bamalamafizzfazz

This is a good thread as it has quite surprised me how well equipped the team is in the instance that first choice players get injured. For me apart from the obvious gk situation we need cover for McSheffrey at the top of the diamond. I think we lost our attacking edge when he missed the last few games of the season. I wasn't at Portsmouth but I heard he was magnificent and his link up play was at the centre of everything. There are some players who I think may be able to deputise ie, Baker, O'Donovan or even Eastwood but these are not likely to pose as many problems as Sheffers does in that position.
After a GK I would make this the priority followed by another striker.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
I think centre back is our strongest position. As a manager would struggle to choose just two.

Hussey is amazing and we have a number of players for back up at leftt back. Cranie, Wood, Turner, Clarke, Deegan.

Striker, the only decent one we will have next season is Jutkiewicz so sign one up.

Keeper, obviously we need a new one. Ireland won't cope on his own (if he signs.)

Last edited:

Lord_Nampil

I think 3 or 4 and the way Thorn was speaking last night thats all i think will come in! I can see a few academy lads getting chances as well!

ajsccfc

Just to check, the question raised is whether the team that finished in 18th and is losing at least five members of the first-team squad already needs new players?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
They all have the ability. Wood and Turner both played at left back this season for at least 1 game. Deegan has the ability as he has played there before at Bohemians.

Sorry, I meant left back in my previous post, I edited it.

No worries! Did get a little confused!

They do have the ability, but id prefer them to play in their best positions. Otherwise we'd up with a repeat of Dowie / Coleman tactics of playing players in weaker positions. Especially Deegan. It'd be a repeat of Ozzy moving from CM to RB. OK, he was OK in the position, but he wasnt a natural!

mattylad

New Keeper (Joe Murphy please)
Back up left back (So Cranie does not end up there if Hussey is injured/suspended)
Right midfielder (Unless Connor Thomas stays)
Striker (think the Juke will come good but would like to see a speed merchant along side him)

Dan Griffin

just cause were passing the ball doesn't mean were gonna get instant promotion! Stuff like this always goes over our head and we get too excited then say the teams aload of shit when they don't perform. yes we clearly need new players, everyteam does. Joe murphy would be the most realistic replacement for westy, playing against same teams, just with a shitter side, will miss kierens aerial ability :( defenders: could get someone in on loan and whoever leaves I'm sure thorn will cover, he could always sign me! ;) Midfield: hopefully Thomas comes back with Gerrard carrol and suarez in his pocket, nah but aslong he stays he might aswell Be a new signing along with long with the first new sighting of deegan!:) so almost 2 new players, and maybe all this talk of Keith treacy? Strikers: if king goes we must sign a striker minimum. Hopefully a quick one, like ched evans...

Last edited:

Covstu

sorry did i just see Baker and Messi in the sam sentence!!?

I think we need to decide whether Hussey is right for the LB position as previous managers did not think so. We need a creative midfielder, we have Deegan, Clingan and Gunnar (to a certain extent) that are all defensive holding players we have no one who is driving forward from the midfield. We need a new right winger, Bell is not good enough in my book but maybe Baker can fill this role if we can sort his final delivery out. Oh and a new goalkeeper!!!

CovKingChris

Facebook User
I think we need to decide whether Hussey is right for the LB position as previous managers did not think so.

I rate Hussey as our best player out of the big 3.

We need a creative midfielder, we have Deegan, Clingan and Gunnar (to a certain extent) that are all defensive holding players we have no one who is driving forward from the midfield.

I think if Gunnar does sign a contract before the 19th, then we don't need a new CM. Clingan was a very defensive midfielder but seems to be doing a lot better under AT. Gunnar cam to the club as a defensive midfielder and that's his best position. But he has proved to be very versatile and can attack. And I wouldn't consider Deegan to be defensive, in fact I consider him to be quite an attacking midfielder.

ajsccfc

I'd argue against Clingan being a non-creative holding midfielder. He's much closer to being a deep playmaker than a hard-tackling spoiler type. As hesitant as I am to compare Coventry City players with top-class footballers, he's more our Pirlo than he is our Gattuso.

skybluesteve76

We need new players if we are gonna get out of this division! I base that opinion on our final league position and even tho we only lost two out of ten under thorn, we didn't actually win many. I think it was 14 points from a possible 30.

Marty

Defo need new players, Baker, Gunna, Bell, Eastwood, Platt, are not good enough and need replacing, players like Deegan, Hussey are still very much unknown, so wouldn't want to go into the season with them as first choice in their position, Would get rid of McSheffrey as hes a high earner and his wages would be better spent elsewhere and then the 5 that have now left. I have a feeling hes only going to the replace the big 2 + Gunnar, then maybe bring in 1 or 2 players.

covcity4life

i think we shopuld have offered carsley one more year at reduced wages

he could play clingan or gunnars role, he played well till injury

stevo_ccfc

Deegan is a box to box midfielder who likes to have a shot, and bell looks more than decent in the new formation.

Baker didn't give the same cutting edge as sheff, so maybe cover for that position is needed.

We need cover at left back, a keeper and an extra body in midfield.

Is love to see a pacey striker who can run onto through balls

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I reckon what AT will be looking for will be at least

one goalkeeper
one left back
two strikers

maybe a central midfield

assuming he keeps Clarke & Cameron and that Thomas stays. I reckon he has to plan that none of Gunnarsson, King or Westwood will stay and hope one does. Midfield seems better balanced in the formation we play but would guess cover is always welcome, although we dont score enough from that area. Defensive wise we seem to be ok and the goals against this season werent too bad in total and without silly errors could have been better. Think it is up front that we lack the edge, we still dont score enough goals one of lowest in division and if King goes we need a decent replacement - even if Juke does continue to improve

ccfc luke

I think we need a:

back up CDM in case clingan gets injured.
Good replacement for King and westwood.
back up for sheffers at the top of the diamond

pusbccfc

Just looking at the post that I wrote after the Norwich game, just thought I would bring up, how well we were playing at the end of the season.
Against Norwich king was the worst player on the pitch
We didn't have westwood
And gunna went off I think for deegan

WiTh turner and the other injured players back, not all doom and gloom?

Pigeon

First choice goal keeper.
Centre mid to play along side Sammy
2 strikers
Back up for Sheffs or Bell

Users who are viewing this thread