No more Coventry city football club (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Given the seppalla interview and the sky sports feature I am interested to know what percentage chance people think there is of no more CCfc?

I really am at 50:50. I can see no reason why otium would continue funding the club beyond Christmas.

If this was the reality who would prefer CCc to do a deal over the Ricoh?

SkyblueBazza

Given the seppalla interview and the sky sports feature I am interested to know what percentage chance people think there is of no more CCfc?

I really am at 50:50. I can see no reason why otium would continue funding the club beyond Christmas.

If this was the reality who would prefer CCc to do a deal over the Ricoh?

What makes you so certain that Otium will still e here by Xmas?
They have said a lot of things..."We are here for the long haul" being one recent throwaway line.

Paxman II

It must be a Coventry thing to think of the negative aspects ahead of the good aspects all the time.

The football club have appointed a decent manager who is setting about building and using the academy for future growth and all things on the pitch are changing for the better.
The off the pitch antics are a disgrace but are fixable at the stroke of a pen if parties come to their senses.

So why so negative?

Sky Blue Pete

Reality! 50:50 is positive. How is it resolved? CCc deal on ricoh is the only way and it's not looking likely. Season ticket for last 24 years not seen a game this season.

Very sad

thaiskyblue

it must be a coventry thing to think of the negative aspects ahead of the good aspects all the time.

The football club have appointed a decent manager who is setting about building and using the academy for future growth and all things on the pitch are changing for the better.
The off the pitch antics are a disgrace but are fixable at the stroke of a pen if parties come to their senses.

So why so negative?
four little words ?

Kingokings204

How would it die if they sell?

They certainly wont liquidate it. CCFC will live on forever but right now it is going through an awful period. Owners come and go but club always remains.

RegTheDonk

Hypothetically, what would be the procedure? Would Otium have to go into admin (more points deduction I suppose) and then Appleton gets another payday?

ohitsaidwalker king power

It must be a Coventry thing to think of the negative aspects ahead of the good aspects all the time.

So why so negative?

There are some busy imaginative minds on here.?

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/37517-on-sky-sports-now?p=559211#post559211

Last edited:

Paxman II

King Power: For a day, just one day take an imaginative route and put yourself in the position of the owner of CCFC. Do it for a day. At the end of that day tell me what you would do to help save the club, make it sustainable and find a way to recoup all the investment you made? I'll be interested to see what you come up with...

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

King Power: For a day, just one day take an imaginative route and put yourself in the position of the owner of CCFC. Do it for a day. At the end of that day tell me what you would do to help save the club, make it sustainable and find a way to recoup all the investment you made? I'll be interested to see what you come up with...

I'll answer that I would take them 34 miles away playing in front o 2 to 3 thousand people reduce the prices to get them to go theres a good start

georgehudson

PAX, et al, 'bring them home' nothing more, so simple,
eradicate greed, we are talking about OUR club,
& not a Cayman outfit

I'm beginning to get past caring and the longer this sorry saga continues I along with most other Sky Blues are falling out of the habit of following the game.

SISU have stated that they will never return to the Ricoh unless they are able to purchase it. ACL will never sell to SISU so that leaves the building of this so called new ground which is unlikely to happen and even if it does will take several years.

How long are SISU prepared to fund the club with such abysmal gates?

What will the playing budget be under FP rules next season?

SISU have now found themselves up a cul de sac with no apparent means of escape and apart from distressing ACL into the sale of the Ricoh have few if any realistic options to pursue. They will also not wish the continuing bad press associated with this mess which will be having a negative effect on their core business.
I therefore fully expect them to be considering an exit strategy in the very near future, whatever that may be. We live in hope!

Paxman II

I'm beginning to get past caring and the longer this sorry saga continues I along with most other Sky Blues are falling out of the habit of following the game.

This is happening and I accept that. I have brothers who feel this way and have been season ticket holders for many years. However no matter what happens I guarantee if a Coventry City were back in Coventry everyone would drift back eventually.[/I]

SISU have stated that they will never return to the Ricoh unless they are able to purchase it. ACL will never sell to SISU so that leaves the building of this so called new ground which is unlikely to happen and even if it does will take several years.

A new build can be done inside a couple of years. Hell they build complicated mega cruise ships in less time! The fact you quote JS as never return to the Ricoh unless they purchase it is misleading. Business people will say all sorts of things but we don't really know what they or JS would really consider.

They already said they will fund it and have that in place for 3 years minimum. NOPM will have no effect.

What will the playing budget be under FP rules next season?
That's more difficult but they are building from within as they should and bringing through fantastic new players under Pressley, so who needs a big budget next season?

SISU have now found themselves up a cul de sac with no apparent means of escape and apart from distressing ACL into the sale of the Ricoh have few if any realistic options to pursue. They will also not wish the continuing bad press associated with this mess which will be having a negative effect on their core business.
I therefore fully expect them to be considering an exit strategy in the very near future, whatever that may be. We live in hope!

Yes they will seek an exit strategy in the longer term but clearly have accepted they will not achieve one soon. As for being in a cul de sac and continuing to distress ACL is pure fantasy on your part. What happens at CCFC will have no effect on their core business...we simply are not important enough.

Last edited:

TonyD

They already said they will fund it and have that in place for 3 years minimum. NOPM will have no effect.

How will it not have an effect? If you use the figure of £3m a year for stay away fans/NOPM, then 3 years will see SISU £9m worse off. Yes, they may be able to fund the shortfall but they will still be worse off than they could have been.

If I lost my main income I could utilise savings and other assets for 6 months, but at the end of that period I will not have any savings or assets left to pay my bills.

Astute

II only have two main problems with your thoughts Paxo.

We know that they bullshit a lot. Also how do you know we have lots of good youth players coming through that will be good enough straight away? Isn't that what helped us get relegated to division 3?

Spionkop

Paxo, it must be nice to live in your dream world.
Meanwhile back on earth.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful but in all this chaos and football misery you still cling to their bull.
Imagine Leeds United going to play at Bramhall Lane, or Spurs at Charlton, Liverpool in Manchester, Bristol City in Plymouth etc etc. It's not on. Unforgivable.
Those young players you speak of, quietly they'll be taking stock, thinking what a shambles this club is, playing in that pre-season friendly atmosphere in Northampton, they'll be thinking of moves elsewhere. Bettering themselves. At the moment we are in a spiral going down.
Yes of course that could be changed by a pen, as you say. But can you really see that happening? Those two faced Sisu bastards doing the honourable thing?
The only way to solve it, in the absence of sane thinking between Sisu and CCC, is for fans to stay away, starve them of the only thing they care about, money. NOPM, whatever you call it, is working. Relentlessly grinding them down. TWO overtures from Joy and Mark in past week. It won't wash. The winter is coming. It'll be a winter of discontent. Crowds may slip below a thousand at points. I really hope they do.
No shirt money.
No pie money.
No beer money.
No sponsorship money.
No advertising money.
No season ticket money.
No entrance money.
No away ticket money.
Just NO money for SISU.

thaiskyblue

Yes they will seek an exit strategy in the longer term but clearly have accepted they will not achieve one soon. As for being in a cul de sac and continuing to distress ACL is pure fantasy on your part. What happens at CCFC will have no effect on their core business...we simply are not important enough.
if were not important , why don't they just go then ?

Hobo

Every part of their business is part of the core business. If we were that insignificant they would have sold at a loss and walked away. I remember Seppala saying she regrets the investment. But I suspect they have invested so much they can't walk away at the moment. Everyone knows the sensible route is to buy the Ricoh...I doubt they have the money so they have tried to distress ACL to get it on the cheap. The move to Northampton is also trying to distress them further. I don't comprehend how you can say it is fantasy.

I think they probably are prepared to fund that until the end of the season (a guess on my part I know). However they might build a new stadium, but I don't see how that will give them a return or us much needed revenue....it requires too much investment.

You can accuse me of being imaginative. But I could equally say you are blind to all the possibilities here, because you are too content to take SISU at their word....a word that isn't even consistent.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Pax- I directly quoted you to create a circular reference to associated thread in which you reflected on how some on this forum have "imagination".
Politley your term of reference "stroke of a pen" might be equally optimistic and imaginative no?

Not withstanding and echoing many others- if you can make a reasonable case that substantiates the business logic for taking CCFC to Northampton even in the short term then please do so, there is not one ounce of logic to it. If as you implore I were the owner of CCFC with the interests of the football club as a fundamental premise- that would be my first strategic rethink. The fact that SISU will not, tells me all I need to know- all of Joys words in her interview with the CT re empathy for the fans is no more than political 'noise' in an effort to appease a few moderates- Sunday's attendance suggests circa 55 CCFC fans were convinced. 8-9000 remain steadfast.
Sorry Pax the move to Northampton is wrong on both a business and morale level - you know it as well I suspect.

Last edited:

davebart

regarding the new ground - we have had a study compiled by professional sports analysts.

A new ground will not make a club sustainable on its own and no amount of pies and chips can alter that. The ground has to generate income outside of the football. That means utilising the facilities on non match days and means the ground has to include other money spinning facilities. eg G3 pitches.

The main problem as I see it is that they have to be careful about any new ground outside the city. To get the most benefit from facilities you need to be in the middle of a large catchment area.

Not somewhere out in the countryside.

Thanks for your comments Pax my old mucker but I feel that I must take issue with a number of your assumptions:

1. Many of the fans will not drift back after any prolonged period of time as they will have lost the habit and found some other activity to occupy themselves on a Saturday afternoon.
2. JS will certainly not want to lose face by returning to the Ricoh unless a deal could be struck regarding ownership. JS states that they have been looking for an alternative stadium site for over two years. Your being very optimistic with your two year construction estimate particularly when they haven't even identified a site in the first place.
3. SISU will not wish to fund the club over the next three years without resort to any form of significant income. Charity is not in their nature!!!! NOPM may not have the total desired effect but will apply some pressure over financing arrangements.
4. Next seasons budget will dictate that we have to lose the majority of high earners which means most of our experienced players leaving the club. Your argument doesn't hold water regarding Pressley's ability to bring players in from within who would not have the necessary experience.
5.Agreed CCFC does not figure in the greater scheme of all matters concerning the world of SISU but the debacle in which they have embroiled themselves with over the past few years has shown a decided lack of judgment and financial acumen. It's the adverse publicity that they have received and will continue to receive which will be damaging and hurting them most. Who in their right mind would want to invest in a company which has been subjected to so much bad press.
6. SISU remain up a cul de sac and have nowhere to run so will want to cut their loses and disappear at the earliest opportunity.

Manchester_sky_blue

How would it die if they sell?

They certainly wont liquidate it. CCFC will live on forever but right now it is going through an awful period. Owners come and go but club always remains.

Sooner or later a "big club" will be liquidated. It almost happened with Pompey (and still might, far from safe) but it could easily be us given our present situation. You are right than in the past even failing clubs have been bailed out and allowed to carry on but the world is different now, even very very rich people are nervous about investing in anything thats even slightly risky.

In some ways it needs to happen, it could be the wake up call that all football clubs need to get their houses in order, id just rather it wasn't us.

sky blue john

All i know is week in week out ccfc is forcing Sisu's fund to put more money to keep the club afloat !!!!
But for how long ?
Remember no accounts have been filed which is a clear indication that they have not committed to future funding !!!!
My bet is if we are not sold or back at the Ricoh before the JR result Otium ccfc will be put into admin !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread