No Relegation from Premier league....at least a possibility (1 Viewer)

albatross

This possibility has just been raised again on Radio 4.

With a take over of Everton by american owners for 200+ million there may well be 14 foreign owners in the Premier League. Under the rules I believe that this enough for for the two thirds majority required to push through rule changes if they worked together. i.e. no relegation.

Given that most of these new foreign owners are simply money people, with experience in american sports which is a closed shop coupled with then fact that they have little empathy for the english game and traditions , just a desire to get a big return surely its a real possibility.

Villa are proof enough about what relegation can do you their investment, up for sale but because they are red hot favourites for relegation potential new owners are steering well clear (or only offering a fraction of the asking price)

More TV money (approx 3Billion) is from the far east who are mainly interested in seeing Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal and not Crystal Palace Vs Bournemouth, could the rest of us could be out in the cold?

ConnorDevine

The english game feeds on being competitive and the fact smaller clubs, i.e leicester can come along and completely change everything, our main appeal is that unlike spain, germany, italy, mid table teams regularly shock top teams, it keeps it exciting and makes the premier league the best in the world, I'm sure the FA recognise that taking relegation away would ruin this and therefore the tv money would drop hugely, negating the benefits.

Also if the asian market wants the big teams, they're never going to get relegated, so changing relegation rulings makes very little difference

Terry Gibson's perm

The english game feeds on being competitive and the fact smaller clubs, i.e leicester can come along and completely change everything, our main appeal is that unlike spain, germany, italy, mid table teams regularly shock top teams, it keeps it exciting and makes the premier league the best in the world, I'm sure the FA recognise that taking relegation away would ruin this and therefore the tv money would drop hugely, negating the benefits.

Also if the asian market wants the big teams, they're never going to get relegated, so changing relegation rulings makes very little difference

Not sure the fa can do fa about it just a bunch of old Blazers with next to no power.

albatross

I agree in that the points you raised are what we hold dear about our game and how it offers opportunity and diversity with the relegation and promotion. But these new owners don't give a damn about that and whilst you say it makes it exciting , that is for us english based supporters they will be thinking of the TV money. The NFL, NBA etc don't suffer in terms of TV income due to the lack of promotion and relegation. In fact they are all operating off the same budget to ensure that there is no continual dominance in terms of trophy winners.

diffrent system, different mind set but increasingly the same money

Gazolba

Anything could happen. The most likely thing is that the top few clubs will form a European super-league which will consist of clubs from England, Germany, Italy, Spain and France. This has already been talked about for many years. The question is would these clubs and countries then be excluded from other competitions like the Champions League and World Cup.

Terry Gibson's perm

I will be surprised if there is ever a European super league as the fans won't want it as all the teams mentioned are used to winning or being at the top of their leagues just imagine if Arsenal finished bottom every year soon get boring for them. My word the champions league is boring in the early stages next they will be saying lets invite the Chinese teams in to the champions league as they have all these highly paid players.

CJ_covblaze

This is the reason why I didn't want Leicester to go down last season and also why it'd be great to see them win the league this season. If they had gone down all 3 promoted clubs would've dropped and these questions would've been asked more and more. Them staying up and challenging for the title along with Watford potentially finishing mid-table and Bournemouth doing relatively well can only be a good thing.

Something else that should be noted is that Bill Kenwright is not only Mr Everton but also Mr English Football too I can't not see him allowing it to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread