No to Hull Tigers (1 Viewer)

Monkeyface

Anybody seen the presentation video the NTHT guys did for the FA? Very good and explains exactly what a football club means to its community.

dadgad

Yeah, football as we knew it is being eroded to conform to the commercial model. Community means nothing to these bankers.

On another point. What a poor video. Only 1000 hits, Twist and shout said more, much more.

CJ_covblaze

Has anyone on here joined their campaign? I have and know a few other City fans that have. Only 2 quid. Get a wristband and a badge too.

CJ_covblaze

Got a link?

They're a really good bunch. I've been discussing with them and Cardiff about an identity (colours, location, crest and name) demonstration at some point in the near future. Fan organisations from other clubs are also very interested in backing us up and getting involved. http://www.citytillwedie.com

Last edited:

Moff

They're a really good bunch. I've been discussing with them and Cardiff about an identity (colours, location, crest and name) demonstration at some point in the near future. Fan organisations from other clubs are also very interested in backing us up and getting involved. http://www.citytillwedie.com

CJ, first of all cheers for all the work you are doing on this front, and secondly have the No to Hull Tigers group, and the Cardiff City group you have been talking to been made aware of the petition, and will they post the link on any of their forums to help us?
(Apologies if you had already done this)

CJ_covblaze

I'll make some calls.

Hobo

I signed this petition this morning the 3 quid bit is voluntary.

Stand up for football fans everywhere. Football represents communities.

skybluetom

Have a degree of sympathy with 'em of course but it isn't like the guy is proposing to move the club to another city (what kind of idiots would do that?). This bloke's money has got 'em to the Prem, take the money for now and just change the name when he leaves like to Cardiff fans are gonna do with their ridiculous red shirts.

JohnWH

Have a degree of sympathy with 'em of course but it isn't like the guy is proposing to move the club to another city (what kind of idiots would do that?). This bloke's money has got 'em to the Prem, take the money for now and just change the name when he leaves like to Cardiff fans are gonna do with their ridiculous red shirts.

This is my opinion on that:
Re-branding is a different concern than re-location, certainly. However, I won't go as far as to suggest that our concerns, as a Coventry City fanbase, are any more or any less important than the concerns of other fanbases for their respective clubs.
A shared concern for all is that there are owners of clubs that do not consult with their fanbases about major decisions that impact the perceived historical identities, or if those decisions are in the longer-term best interests of the club as a community institution.
Whether it is Cardiff City's Mr. Tan, Hull CITY's Mr. Allam, Coventry City's SISU/Otium, etc., there is the common theme of "owners know best" attitude in their stewardship of the clubs without taking into consideration that "Without Fans There Is No Football!"

skybluetom

This is my opinion on that:
Re-branding is a different concern than re-location, certainly. However, I won't go as far as to suggest that our concerns, as a Coventry City fanbase, are any more or any less important than the concerns of other fanbases for their respective clubs.
A shared concern for all is that there are owners of clubs that do not consult with their fanbases about major decisions that impact the perceived historical identities, or if those decisions are in the longer-term best interests of the club as a community institution.
Whether it is Cardiff City's Mr. Tan, Hull CITY's Mr. Allam, Coventry City's SISU/Otium, etc., there is the common theme of "owners know best" attitude in their stewardship of the clubs without taking into consideration that "Without Fans There Is No Football!"

I'd say our concerns are greater, we're playing 35 miles out of Cov and may well not exist in a few months times. Cardiff and Hull are mixing it up in the Premier League enjoying relative success. As I say I have sympathy with 'em to a point but most Cardiff fans accept they're gonna have to put up with the stupidity of Tan and his ideas for a relatively short time in exchange for watching a team that only a number of years ago they could've only dreamed of. You can change shirt colours and team names overnight; we could be without a club by the end of all this.

On the wider point of ownership though we need a look at the German model, English football is about a million miles from that though so it's a rather pointless argument as it stands.

Last edited:

JohnWH

I'd say our concerns are greater, we're playing 35 miles out of Cov and may well not exist in a few months times. Cardiff and Hull are mixing it up in the Premier League enjoying relative success. As I say I have sympathy with 'em to a point but most Cardiff fans accept they're gonna have to put up with the stupidity of Tan and his ideas for a relatively short time in exchange for watching a team that only a number of years ago they could've only dreamed of.

Tom, I truly respect your position. I would like to engage you further about a couple of your points.
Cardiff City and Hull City are "enjoying relative success" only for the moment. Their owners have shelled out a lot to bring their clubs from the lower leagues back to the top flight, and most of their fanbase is grateful for that. Yet, those clubs are not granted immortal or eternal status in the PL. Further, those fanbases are not entirely happy that their clubs' identities have been hijacked by, what ultimately is, temporary ownership.
I am glad that you sympathize with Cardiff, Hull, and others.
In fact, on the whole, we agree with everything. Coventry's issues are major, and we sympathize with other clubs and their frustrations with their ownerships.

But, I hope to get further clarification from your statement above... Is getting top-flight status worthwhile to put up with unwanted changes in the clubs identity?
What changes are these temporary ownerships allowed to impose on the clubs before the fans are allowed to stand up and say Enough is Enough"? Color changes? New mascots? New stadiums, relocation entirely? In my opinion, changes to identities without thorough and largescale involvement of the club's fanbase is a dangerous and slippery slope that I want all clubs to avoid.

Tom I respect you and value your opinions. I am not taking a dig at you in any way. I beg your forgiveness if you feel that I have hijacked your comments or twisted them in any manner.
Simply, in my own opinion, I like the epetition idea and it now has 8,000 signatories. Fans of all clubs deserve better treatment from their temporary owners. Fans are the true owners of a club and its identity. It is a terrible state of affairs where we, as Coventry City's true owners the fans, find ourselves. We should not be forced to play in Northampton due to the intransigence of our temporary owners and other parties. For the rest of the world to give a crap about us and our problems, we all need to pitch in a little deeper in our solidarity with other clubs and their problems.

JohnWH

Also Tom, I just saw your edit about the German model of club ownership. I am not embarrassed to admit that I have no idea how that works. What are the positives that could be borrowed to improve the English leagues?

CJ_covblaze

Also Tom, I just saw your edit about the German model of club ownership. I am not embarrassed to admit that I have no idea how that works. What are the positives that could be borrowed to improve the English leagues?

Every club has to be owned at least 51% by it's fans.

Users who are viewing this thread