Novak Djokovic (1 Viewer)

skyblue1991

Visa to Australia has been cancelled as he didn't meet visa entry rules regarding vaccination status and no proof of exemption

Interesting to see how this plays out, rules are rules so glad to see nobody is above the law

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Frostie

Think it was fairly obvious any exemption would be bogus (unless he'd recently tested positive). He's a renowned anti vaxxer & his wife shares stories on social media that claim 5G caused COVID... 🙄
The pair of them have some bizarre views on a range of topics tbh. I think they think science in general is faked.

SBAndy

Hilarious. Playing the victim like that. Rafa Nadal has put it best:

"I think if he wanted, he would be playing here in Australia without a problem," Nadal said, following victory at a warm-up tournament in Melbourne.

"He made his own decisions, and everybody is free to take their own decisions, but then there are some consequences.

"Of course I don't like the situation that is happening. In some way, I feel sorry for him. But at the same time, he knew the conditions since a lot of months ago, so he makes his own decision."

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

From a scientific perspective the rule doesn't even make sense, but they are the rules. I doubt he would have travelled without the green light so something obviously changed whilst he was in transit. Backlash pressure I expect.

Mucca Mad Boys

This episode also shows how ridiculous Australia’s COVID rules are.

On one hand, I’m glad Djokovic didn’t get to beat the rules because he’s rich and famous. On the other, if he doesn’t want to get vaccinated, that’s surely his prerogative.

80-90% of people have been vaccinated now and vaccinating people every 6 months is obviously not sustainable. Therefore, we need to just learn how to live with COVID now.

clint van damme

Is he being held in Guantanimo Bay?
You'd think so listening to his mum who's just been interviewed.

duffer

This episode also shows how ridiculous Australia’s COVID rules are.

On one hand, I’m glad Djokovic didn’t get to beat the rules because he’s rich and famous. On the other, if he doesn’t want to get vaccinated, that’s surely his prerogative.

80-90% of people have been vaccinated now and vaccinating people every 6 months is obviously not sustainable. Therefore, we need to just learn how to live with COVID now.

It's his prerogative to avoid vaccination, and it's Australia's to say that if you're not vaccinated without good reason (i.e. a valid medical reason), then you can't come in.

That's because the science behind vaccination reducing potential transmission, hospitalisation, and death, is remarkably well established.

Unsurprisingly then, governments and scientists around the world are doing their best to encourage their citizens to get vaccinated.

Unfortunately people who post opinions as fact on twitter, Facebook, and even football forums, now seem to be given similar weight to those with actual expertise.

That's a real problem, because the irony is that many of people who shout loudest about the need to get back to normal and "learn to live with Covid", are the ones pushing back against the simplest and best way of bringing it under control - vaccination.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's his prerogative to avoid vaccination, and it's Australia's to say that if you're not vaccinated without good reason (i.e. a valid medical reason), then you can't come in.

That's because the science behind vaccination reducing potential transmission, hospitalisation, and death, is remarkably well established.

Unsurprisingly then, governments and scientists around the world are doing their best to encourage their citizens to get vaccinated.

Unfortunately people who post opinions as fact on twitter, Facebook, and even football forums, now seem to be given similar weight to those with actual expertise.

That's a real problem, because the irony is that many of people who shout loudest about the need to get back to normal and "learn to live with Covid", are the ones pushing back against the simplest and best way of bringing it under control - vaccination.

- Tested before travel, therefore at lower risk of passing the virus than a vaccinated and untested person.

- Young and healthy, and statistically the chance of him taking up a bed in a hospital is virtually zero.

- More likely to have symptoms and therefore more likely to notice and test, therefore increasing the chances he will isolate.

Sure, you can argue from a moral stand point that he shouldn't be above the rules, and I agree. However, the science is not really on side about this policy whatsoever. Remember, you can still transmit the virus when vaccinated. Same for the covid passport scheme. Makes no scientific sense to do it without allowing negative tests.

Mucca Mad Boys

I’m certainly not against vaccination - I’ve had all 3 jabs. I’ve encouraged any friends and family to get their jabs when they were hesitant.

COVID will be like the flu, a new variant every year and the Government will get to a point where it’ll offer annual boosters to targeted groups.

In the UK, we have achieved mass vaccination and 93% of the vulnerable group (over 60s) have been boosted too. So the need for restrictions in this country is pretty low. After all, imposing restrictions and lockdowns isn’t cost free, the increases in suicides and mental health has killed more people in my age band then COVID would have done.

Meanwhile, in Australia, their ‘zero COVID’ policy means they still have lockdowns, restrictions and stay at home orders active. Which is pretty draconian for a country that has a 77% fully vaccinated population.

Anyway, the philosophical point here is that people should be able to make personal choices for themselves. If they don’t want to do something that will benefit them free of charge, let crack on. They’re such a minority that they’re only putting themselves at risk rather than the majority people who have been vaccinated.

Despite the initial fears, Omicron is not as dangerous as forecasters first feared and we’re well below the ‘best case scenario’ of 3,000 COVID deaths per day. Hence the Government have started to relax a lot of the isolation periods and restrictions put in place on testing and so on. Even the SNP followed suit today.

Mucca Mad Boys

- Tested before travel, therefore at lower risk of passing the virus than a vaccinated and untested person.

- Young and healthy, and statistically the chance of him taking up a bed in a hospital is virtually zero.

- More likely to have symptoms and therefore more likely to notice and test, therefore increasing the chances he will isolate.

Sure, you can argue from a moral stand point that he shouldn't be above the rules, and I agree. However, the science is not really on side about this policy whatsoever. Remember, you can still transmit the virus when vaccinated. Same for the covid passport scheme. Makes no scientific sense to do it without allowing negative tests.

This was a political deportation in response to the uproar of him seemingly circumventing the rules behind vaccination initially.

Someone like Djokovic is literally at 0 risk of dying from COVID and has had it recently so has natural immunity to the disease. Does he need to be jabbed?

Personally, I’ve never knowingly had COVID and I’m ‘at risk’ (mildly asthmatic) so it made complete sense to have the vaccine. Some people just don’t actually it so mandating it is just not sensible when you have achieved mass vaccination.

Grendel

This was a political deportation in response to the uproar of him seemingly circumventing the rules behind vaccination initially.

Someone like Djokovic is literally at 0 risk of dying from COVID and has had it recently so has natural immunity to the disease. Does he need to be jabbed?

Personally, I’ve never knowingly had COVID and I’m ‘at risk’ (mildly asthmatic) so it made complete sense to have the vaccine. Some people just don’t actually it so mandating it is just not sensible when you have achieved mass vaccination.

No Vaxx does of course not believe in any vaccines, any science and that Covid is caught through 5g

Alan Dugdales Moustache

His mum says he's being kept a prisoner.
Perhaps his internet's a bit slow.

duffer

I'm sorry mate, but the science absolutely is on my side. People have a bigger chance of catching it and transmitting it if they aren't vaccinated, even if you're a famous tennis player - that's why the rule is in place.

It's given that if you want to reduce the transmission and effect of a hugely communicable and dangerous disease in a community then vaccination is the proven way to do it. Smallpox, TB, polio, measles, etc. etc.

Individual risk of the impact of illness has nothing to do with it when you're considering what's best for public health. The point of vaccination is that it protects society as well as the individual so anything that encourages it makes good sense.

It may be a low risk of serious illness at an individual level, but a small proportion of a big number is still a large number. Hence almost 18,000 in hospital with Covid this week (about three times as many as last week).

wingy

It's fairly simple really .
If there was no consequence to have not taken up vaccination next to nobody would have taken it up and we'd all still be in last year's lockdown with no football no work and no pub .😟

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm sorry mate, but the science absolutely is on my side. People have a bigger chance of catching it and transmitting it if they aren't vaccinated, even if you're a famous tennis player - that's why the rule is in place.

It's given that if you want to reduce the transmission and effect of a hugely communicable and dangerous disease in a community then vaccination is the proven way to do it. Smallpox, TB, polio, measles, etc. etc.

Individual risk of the impact of illness has nothing to do with it when you're considering what's best for public health. The point of vaccination is that it protects society as well as the individual so anything that encourages it makes good sense.

It may be a low risk of serious illness at an individual level, but a small proportion of a big number is still a large number. Hence almost 18,000 in hospital with Covid this week (about three times as many as last week).

I think at the simplest level, Australia doesn't let in anyone meeting Novax's Covid status so didn't want to make an exception. That's all there is to it really.

duffer

I’m certainly not against vaccination - I’ve had all 3 jabs. I’ve encouraged any friends and family to get their jabs when they were hesitant.

COVID will be like the flu, a new variant every year and the Government will get to a point where it’ll offer annual boosters to targeted groups.

In the UK, we have achieved mass vaccination and 93% of the vulnerable group (over 60s) have been boosted too. So the need for restrictions in this country is pretty low. After all, imposing restrictions and lockdowns isn’t cost free, the increases in suicides and mental health has killed more people in my age band then COVID would have done.

Meanwhile, in Australia, their ‘zero COVID’ policy means they still have lockdowns, restrictions and stay at home orders active. Which is pretty draconian for a country that has a 77% fully vaccinated population.

Anyway, the philosophical point here is that people should be able to make personal choices for themselves. If they don’t want to do something that will benefit them free of charge, let crack on. They’re such a minority that they’re only putting themselves at risk rather than the majority people who have been vaccinated.

Despite the initial fears, Omicron is not as dangerous as forecasters first feared and we’re well below the ‘best case scenario’ of 3,000 COVID deaths per day. Hence the Government have started to relax a lot of the isolation periods and restrictions put in place on testing and so on. Even the SNP followed suit today.

We're nowhere near the levels of vaccination required to protect the country yet.

The disease doesn't just impact the very old or the infirm so just having high levels of vaccination there isn't particularly relevant. Unless there's high take up across the board, transmission will still be rife, and yet more variants likely.

Again, the best way of getting away from lockdowns is surely going to be to get everyone who can be vaccinated, vaccinated.

People who refuse to vaccinate based on some spurious, irrational, fallacious logic, need to see that it's just making it a longer, harder, path to normality.

SBT

How is this a big news story?

Man who hits ball for living not met entry requirements for country.

In what universe is this not a big news story? Don’t try and pretend you have a high bar for stories, you’re posting on a Coventry City message board.

Marty

Bit of a weird situation, seems it was told he would be allowed entry, but once arrived been told that he won't. Haven't got an issue with either Novak refusing to be jabbed or Australia refusing him entry, just seems they've publicly made an example of him to coerce the locals into being jabbed.

Scott Morrison is an absolute gimp anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread