Oh Jeremy Corbyn (7 Viewers)

Grendel

There were protests outside the Labour conference the other week as well, I walked by them.

Lol

Grendel

A GMB taxi union protest is still a protest :D

The biggest protest was the dumb youth eu campaigners serenaded by Alistair Campbell.

Grendel

Yet more condescending of young voters. Remember that they'll hold the whip in your old age.

Good. They can fuck the economy up and escalate interest rates. I can then say I told you so as I coin in my interest and they sleep in cardboard boxes

Nick

Administrator
There were protests outside the Labour conference the other week as well, I walked by them.

Were they protesting about people thinking Corbyn is a footballer by singing a song about him and getting scarves? If so, fair play.

mrtrench

You do know that the definition of poverty used in these statistics is having income lower than 60% of median? Hence by definition, there will always be people in poverty unless the Gini coeff = 0.

Grendel

There are more than a million children living in poverty. Irrespective of your political allegiance that is a shameful indictment of our 'modern' society.

No that's drivel. The definition of poverty would be five star luxury in many countries. It's actually insulting.

Captain Dart

mrtrench

You imagine, can't you provide a graph or a report to support that.

I'll do some number crunching tomorrow. I'll be able to find the median wage and hence determine the income level at which poverty is defined in the UK. I can then also find out the benefits for a single-parent family and we should find that this is below the limit. It states in the report that children are more likely to be in families below that number and intuitively, a single-parent family would be more likely to be living from benefits. There were 1.9 million single-parent families with dependent children in 2016.

Families and households in the UK - Office for National Statistics

clint van damme

Considering Britain has more billionaires than ever before with an increasing share of the country's wealth, the assets per capita tells you very little about the average working man or woman.

What tells you a lot more is stories like this: Subscribe to read

agreed, which is why is OK throwing statistics out, but sometimes you need to step away from the calculator and have a look at what's going on in the real world.

mrtrench

OK, so this is what I found. The median wage is £23,556, so any family bringing in less than £14,133.60 per year is counted in the poverty stats. A person working full time on the minimum wage earns £12,194. They need a 16% increase in salary to get out of poverty.

The number of teenage pregnancies has been falling. The last data I could get was from 2008: 43,000 per year. Not all of these will stay as single parent, non-working for 16 years. However guessing that 75% do, that would mean 516,000 single parent families at any one time (or roughly half of the 1 million number of children in poverty quoted - I haven't checked this number).

I ran through the Gov Benefits calculator for a fictional 18 year old with a child living alone. They would get £9,365.20 per year.

mrtrench

Also found that the starting salary for a qualified nurse is £22,128 - close to the median.

Sick Boy

Also found that the starting salary for a qualified nurse is £22,128 - close to the median.

All well and good if you are in a relationship, but a single person renting and living on that in the south would struggle to survive.

Grendel

All well and good if you are in a relationship, but a single person renting and living on that in the south would struggle to survive.

Why can't they share accommodation? When I first bought a house over 60% was taken in mortgage alone.

Sick Boy

Why can't they share accommodation? When I first bought a house over 60% was taken in mortgage alone.

Im sure that the majority do. Even getting a room in a house will set you back 400-500 in some places, which is ridiculous.

I appreciate your mortgage point but at least you were able to invest in something for yourself. Is worked out over the last 1.5 years, we have forked out a combined rent of just short of 23k.

skybluegod

Strange that it always seems come near the bottom in terms of quality of life surveys.

Do you not think that is because people are spoilt? A lot of people don't truly realise how lucky they are, and what an amazing society we truly have. People with a 'low quality of life' in England, would probably be towards to the top in terms of 'quality of life' in other countries. Just because people aren't at the top of society, doesn't mean they have a poor quality of life, they just don't have the same as others.

skybluegod

Im sure that the majority do. Even getting a room in a house will set you back 400-500 in some places, which is ridiculous.

I appreciate your mortgage point but at least you were able to invest in something for yourself. Is worked out over the last 1.5 years, we have forked out a combined rent of just short of 23k.

Agree with that, somebody I worked with had to pay £400 a month for a bedroom in Daventry. Ridiculous, Although it then pissed me off that because he got a girl accidentally pregnant, he has now had the baby and the Council have given him a 3 bedroom house because he got his landlord to evict him so they had too. If you can;t support your family don't have one.

clint van damme

And sometimes, anecdotal evidence is not accurate as it is being used to political ends.

just like statistics. Do you think the official government statistics on homelessness will concur with those of a homeless charity for example?

mrtrench

Abuse of benefits has reduced. They used to be so high that some people chose it as a lifestyle. It's no longer a comfortable existence and so cases like this are less common. Having said that, I know a 16 year old girl who wants to get pregnant so she doesn't have to go to college and can move into her own place. Her parents are having none of it.

mrtrench

just like statistics. Do you think the official government statistics on homelessness will concur with those of a homeless charity for example?
Yes I do. Government stats are independent. Did you know that people in temporary accommodation are counted in homelessness stats?

Sick Boy

Do you not think that is because people are spoilt? A lot of people don't truly realise how lucky they are, and what an amazing society we truly have. People with a 'low quality of life' in England, would probably be towards to the top in terms of 'quality of life' in other countries. Just because people aren't at the top of society, doesn't mean they have a poor quality of life, they just don't have the same as others.

In no means am I knocking the UK, especially in terms of how tolerant we are as a society. I mean more in terms of the least holiday, long working hours etc. There are countries I'd rather live in in Europe where I would earn less but have a better quality of life.

A lot of people are overall materialistic, something which I have never understood.

skybluegod

In no means am I knocking the UK, especially in terms of how tolerant we are as a society. I mean more in terms of the least holiday, long working hours etc. There are countries I'd rather live in in Europe where I would earn less but have a better quality of life.

A lot of people are overall materialistic, something which I have never understood.

Fair enough, nope I'm not materialistic either, never have and never will be.
Fair enough on the holiday as well if that is what you want as a person, I personally don't care about that myself, I enjoy long hours, and I get bored when not working. But I guess that could be my age and once I settle down with a family that could all change.

skybluegod

Abuse of benefits has reduced. They used to be so high that some people chose it as a lifestyle. It's no longer a comfortable existence and so cases like this are less common. Having said that, I know a 16 year old girl who wants to get pregnant so she doesn't have to go to college and can move into her own place. Her parents are having none of it.

Agree it has reduced, but still, there are people that take advantage of it, and you have a case there of a girl who thinks it's a good choice. Like why ruin your life like that? live your life first before adding one to this world.

Sick Boy

Fair enough on the holiday as well if that is what you want as a person, I personally don't care about that myself, I enjoy long hours, and I get bored when not working. But I guess that could be my age and once I settle down with a family that could
Fair enough on the holiday as well if that is what you want as a person, I personally don't care about that myself, I enjoy long hours, and I get bored when not working. But I guess that could be my age and once I settle down with a family that could all change.

I currently get 28 days off a year which is not bad but do often work 10-12 days. I believe life is to live not to work but am not afraid to put the hours in if I have time to recuperate.

Users who are viewing this thread