Okay, turning the Thorn thing on it's head (2 Viewers)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Hmmm...I don't know how Poyet would cope with our squad.
But lets be fair that Brighton squad has probably less championship experience than our squad. On paper it is nearly the same squad that got them promoted apart from a few additions.

Astute

If we were not getting chances I would be worried. The chances we are getting are not from hoofing the baal up front like last season either. The more the players play together the more they will understand each other. We are not the worse team in this division. Whilst we are getting chances every game we will always have a chance of winning. You can look at AT's record as manager both ways. His team has only won 4 out of 17. Not good. His team has only lost 5 in 17. Not bad. Turn a few of the draws into wins and his record so far will look a lot better.

If we were not getting chances I would be worried. The chances we are getting are not from hoofing the baal up front like last season either. The more the players play together the more they will understand each other. We are not the worse team in this division. Whilst we are getting chances every game we will always have a chance of winning. You can look at AT's record as manager both ways. His team has only won 4 out of 17. Not good. His team has only lost 5 in 17. Not bad. Turn a few of the draws into wins and his record so far will look a lot better.

I will say one thing. The goals we have scored except for Bakers have been lucky and not really created by ourselves.

Goal against Palace – very lucky with defending and Goalkeeping error.

Middlesbrough – Sloppy goal with rebound falling nicely for the Juke

Derby – Dubious Pen.

kg82

I will say one thing. The goals we have scored except for Bakers have been lucky and not really created by ourselves.

Derby – Dubious Pen.

So? Who cares? They were goals, end of story.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Derby – Dubious Pen.
Baker's goal came from a long throw and poor defending as well. I agree with what you are saying, the football we have seen has been extremely poor compared to what we saw under AT last season. I still haven't seen what I would call a good performance yet this season.

Baker's goal came from a long throw and poor defending as well. I agree with what you are saying, the football we have seen has been extremely poor compared to what we saw under AT last season. I still haven't seen what I would call a good performance yet this season.

Dont upset people on here mate. They still living on last seasons performances under AT (Honeymoon period).

Astute

So the performance against Derby was not a good one? If not then you have not seen one for a lot of years.

SkyBlue_Bear83

So the performance against Derby was not a good one? If not then you have not seen one for a lot of years.
It was an average performance. The game could have gone either way but I would say we just deserved the victory. The performances at the back end of last season were 5x better than that.

stupot07

I do. 4 goals in 7 games is terrible regardless of how many chances we had. AT entertaining football has not delivered so far.

But that is many because individuals have not finished chances, AT can't do much about the quality of individuals finishing prowess. We had kings quality last season which took the pressure of juke - now juke's the main man and he is still young a raw - he could have easily bagged a hatrick against derby and should have scored the chance he made against Brum. ROD had a couple of great chances his missed and Cody could have easily score 2 against Ipswich.

Well that's my opinion isn't it, if you think they were of a similar to standard to last season then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Naturally I think my opinion is right and yours is wrong.

Exactly. I know they could agrue the team was better last season but i feel the entertaining football promised has not been delivered. If AB was still in charge they'd be uproar at the moment. People might not have liked his style but he got results before the injuries and suspensions occured at Christmas.

But that is many because individuals have not finished chances, AT can't do much about the quality of individuals finishing prowess. We had kings quality last season which took the pressure of juke - now juke's the main man and he is still young a raw - he could have easily bagged a hatrick against derby and should have scored the chance he made against Brum. ROD had a couple of great chances his missed and Cody could have easily score 2 against Ipswich.

Thats a fair shout but then again apart from Jukes miss against Blues we didnt create a thing. Derby chances only occured once they were pushing forward and leaving gaps at the back. First half we didn;t create much at all

SkyBlue_Bear83

Exactly. I know they could agrue the team was better last season but i feel the entertaining football promised has not been delivered. If AB was still in charge they'd be uproar at the moment. People might not have liked his style but he got results before the injuries and suspensions occured at Christmas.
I still think Thorn is the best man for the job and the only man for the job. I believe 100% we are better off with Thorn is charge than AB.

But there is no hiding from the fact that the performances have been a shadow of the performances from AT last season. People keep telling themselves we have been unlucky and results will come soon, the other argument being that we haven't been hammered by anyone. Well that excuse was well and truly squashed Monday night.

kg82

Well that's my opinion isn't it, if you think they were of a similar to standard to last season then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Naturally I think my opinion is right and yours is wrong.

They? We were only talking about the Derby match here and, although most performances were good last season under Thorn, they were not 5x better!! And for the question about which keeper made more saves... If we're going by stats we had 8 shots on target they had 7. We had 55% possession, 10% more than them where they obviously can't do anything because they haven't got the ball. So yeah, I think it was a decent performance. There's always improvements to be made, nobody's saying anything otherwise, everybody wants better, but what's the point in saying that performance was average when we beat a team in great form!

Last edited:

kg82

Hah, this says it all really. AB was terrible, nothing to do with injuries and suspensions. His style was awful and got found out withing 2 months. He had no answer. By the way, Thorns had a fair few injuries too.

I would rather watch us lose under Thorn than win under Boothroyd (which wouldn't happen anyway) - THAT's how bad he was.

Il Pirata

Brighton, like Southampton, have moment from last season.

We have as much momentum as a David Bell sprint.

kg82

Thats a fair shout but then again apart from Jukes miss against Blues we didnt create a thing. Derby chances only occured once they were pushing forward and leaving gaps at the back. First half we didn;t create much at all

Yep, we were definitely watching a different match. Derby were put under pressure, sustainable pressure. For 15-20 minutes. Nothing to do with them pushing forward!

SkyBlue_Bear83

They? We were only talking about the Derby match here and, although most performances were good last season under Thorn, they were not 5x better!! And for the question about which keeper made more saves... If we're going be stats we had 8 shots on target they had 7. We had 55% possession, 10% more than them where they obviously can't do anything because they haven't got the ball. So yeah, I think it was a decent performance. There's always improvements to be made, nobody's saying anything otherwise, everybody wants better, but what's the point in saying that performance was average when we beat a team in great form!
I don't think I mentioned anything about stats. I said it was an average performance but we just deserved to just win. Thanks for backing it up with those stats which show it was a close game. Derby had 10% less of the ball than us yet managed to hit the target nearly the same amount of times. I agree it was a decent/average performance not a good performance though, it could have gone either way until we got a lucky penalty.
I saw better performances at the end of last season notably against Watford who were a decent side last season and Reading who were nearly promoted last season. Maybe not 5x better but certainly a good distance better.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Overall I doubt we would do better under someone else - so no. Certainly AT has a good record in spotting players and has got a team spirit instilled. The area I think he needs to improve on is tactical awareness - when to change things and how - but that can be learnt over time. Unfortunately he has to learn quickly because we dont have much time. There will be pros and cons to any manager. The real problem at CCFC on the pitch is the depth of squad and its experience

kg82

I don't think I mentioned anything about stats. I said it was an average performance but we just deserved to just win. Thanks for backing it up with those stats which show it was a close game. Derby had 10% less of the ball than us yet managed to hit the target nearly the same amount of times. I agree it was a decent/average performance not a good performance though, it could have gone either way until we got a lucky penalty.
I saw better performances at the end of last season notably against Watford who were a decent side last season and Reading who were nearly promoted last season. Maybe not 5x better but certainly a good distance better.

The stats bit wasn't for you to be honest. My point with that was a question was asked, we had more shots on target. And like I've mentioned a lot, fire power has been a problem for us, I'm not denying that. And I really hope that problem is sorted soon. I'm not blind to the problems, I'm just not overreacting.

SkyBlue_Bear83

The stats bit wasn't for you to be honest. My point with that was a question was asked, we had more shots on target. And like I've mentioned a lot, fire power has been a problem for us, I'm not denying that. And I really hope that problem is sorted soon. I'm not blind to the problems, I'm just not overreacting.
Neither am I, I am not turning on Thorn calling for his head. I know it is going to be a long season battling relegation. I think we will just avoid it this season. People who are overreacting were the ones overreacting to one win vs Derby.
I just think the people who think we have played well this season are wrong. Imo there is no doubt that the standard of performance this season have dropped from the end of last season.
This is partly the owners fault as the squad is nowhere near as strong as last season.

Hah, this says it all really. AB was terrible, nothing to do with injuries and suspensions. His style was awful and got found out withing 2 months. He had no answer. By the way, Thorns had a fair few injuries too.

I would rather watch us lose under Thorn than win under Boothroyd (which wouldn't happen anyway) - THAT's how bad he was.

Oh come of it. We played Norwich that day when gunnar got sent off. Week before xmas and we were above Norwich. Gunnar sent off and late Holt goal did us, we outplayed norwich in parts and made them look average. After that we had suspensions and injuries plus no investment in the jan market.

After 18 games we were 4th. No ifs or buts

kg82

And yet we still nearly got relelgated!! Boothroyd was awful, I'll say that to anyone.

kg82

And that means in 16 games he went from play offs to just above relegation zone. I came out of one game we won under Boothroyd so frustrated with what I'd just witnessed. Horrible. Thorn needs time, he can not be expected to know everything and get things right straight away. As Coventry fans we should know that having a conveyor belt system for managers doesn't work. Players here trust Thorn and he needs time, I would really like to see him given time before fans jump on his back.

I agree the football was awful and I remember the cold nights watching shocking football. But his Start was decent. Let's hope AT don't become the same. I do want him to succeed but he's not as good tactical wise as we all think. So far he hasn't changed his formation once really. Teams will start to cotton on to the diamond and work round it like Ipswich did.

kg82

Agreed he needs to come up with a contingency. But he's a new manager, Bootroyd had been managing for years and didn't have a plan b!

By the way, those cold nights were the worst!

wingy

Can't help thinking that kings introduction upset the dressing room at that point ,no evidence JMO

Sky Blue Sheepy

Can't help thinking that kings introduction upset the dressing room at that point ,no evidence JMO
It certainly has been mentioned by some (articles on the Telegraph certainly hinted it once or twice) - we could use someone of his skill without the sex offender tag on him...

Astute

I werent his greatest fan but after 20 games we were in the playoffs. King and Gunnar suspended over xmas and it was never the same after that.

When teams played us once last season they had a much better idea on how to stop us. Considering we were in 4th after 18 games how many teams did we do the double on? If King and Gunnar were so important how did things not improve when they were back in the team? Did AB ever play a plan b? At least AT made changes to system before half time, although some say he did the wrong move. If he did not change anything some would have said he did the tactics wrong. When we are winning it will be down to luck to some. Most of us understand but he will still be on a hiding to nothing by some. He is doing well with the players he has.

Nonleagueherewecome

Ok, firstly im not saying for one moment we should sack Thorn, i’m just implementing that im starting to lose confidence in Thorn with some of his decisions and tactics. There is a Difference between sacking and losing confidence.
As you’re turning things on its head Otis.
Wasn’t Blackpool 2 years ago in a similar position. No money limited funds yet Holloway managed wonders and got promotion with what could be said a worse team than ours. So it can be done. With the right manager.

Charlie Adam alone cost more than we have spent since before the last January window. Even Blackpool that season look like billionaires compared to us. There hasn't been a side promoted from this division in 20 years with such poor resources. Survival to mid table is a realistic, stretching, target.

Users who are viewing this thread