On CWR this morning (1 Viewer)

Sub

CCFC stewards were asked to sign a bit of paper to say they will steward at 'you know where' (assume that means walsall) have refused to sign there majority rejected the offer. will be talking to a steward on radio this morning.

Sub

on the radio now, walsall not confirmed, no stewards in one complete stand signed the paper, personal opinion only way stewards can make protest to stop owners moving away from city(ricoh) never on mind to move away from Ricoh, fans get hurt, stewards are fans to. Stewards not happy to work under SISU's control (personal opinion of guy on the radio) wants whats best for club to stay at ricoh,

expert on radio, everybody pretty much do not think SISU ownership will lead to stable future, reason for why clubs have there own ground and dont share, no anchor, fans get fed up travelling for home games, be more fan backing if thought it was a a viable future for club.

Last edited:

Otis

Sisu are business men and women. They have no idea how to run a football club.

Business is all about two things, making a profit and customers. You have no customers, you have no business.

If Tesco wanted to put in place something which meant customers would be longer be able to get some of the products they wanted locally, the customers would be up in arms and Tesco would not implement the change.

Sisu are very much playing on the fact that we are CCFC supporters and the tie is so great between the club and the fans, that anything that is detrimental to the club is a real wrench and very much pulls at the heart strings.

We all have breaking points though and taking away the very thing we as fans love the most, i.e. the club, is totally self-defeating.

You take the club away from the fans, then there is no club. Any fool can surely see that.

letsallsingtogether

Well said Otis will be a sad day if we move away from the Ricoh!!!!!

SkyBlueSwiss

Is this then a further indication that Fisher actually meant what he said and we will not be playing at the Ricoh ever again? Why else go through what would be a total waste of time asking the stewards if they would work at a different ground? More obfuscation and misdirection?

NorthernWisdom

Is this then a further indication that Fisher actually meant what he said and we will not be playing at the Ricoh ever again? Why else go through what would be a total waste of time asking the stewards if they would work at a different ground? More obfuscation and misdirection?

Not necessarily.

Even if a negotiating tactic, you'd know full well there was a fair chance you'd have to go through with it, even if for a short time. Who, after all, is going to give you a great deal to stay if they don't believe you'll actually go?

SkyBlueSwiss

Not necessarily.

Even if a negotiating tactic, you'd know full well there was a fair chance you'd have to go through with it, even if for a short time. Who, after all, is going to give you a great deal to stay if they don't believe you'll actually go?

Negotiating tactic North?
Doesn't that thought disgust you? It does me. That football has been reduced to doing "business" in this manner is a sad statement of how finance is ruining our sport, even at our low level. That anyone can find doing "business" in this manner as fit and proper is not a nice thought. Still, for some, as long as they can sit in their seat at 3pm on Saturday, it is irrelevant what our owners do.

NorthernWisdom

Doesn't that thought disgust you? It does me. That football has been reduced to doing "business" in this manner is a sad statement of how finance is ruining our sport, even at our low level.

Yes it does.

Football at many levels disgusts me and has done for a number of years. Why do we talk about investments into clubs when they shouldn't be businesses, they should be clubs with custodians? What right do clubs have to be stock exchange entities, to talk of revenue streams and attempts to grow a business through marketing opportunities in foreign countries? Whatever happened to a football club being a conduit for local identity?

And at our level, why do we celebrate an investment fund taking over our club and celebrate their good business sense, when their only motivation is and has always been to make money? Why do we decide they know best and ask no questions, hear no evil see no evil until the shit hits the pan? Why do we accept it's all about the profit in the first place?

And now, why when looking for buyers for our club do we look for property developers looking to make money out of property development opportunities, rather than people who want to be custodians of our club? Isn't it sad that when talking about our football club it's reduced to whether or not Bruce Springsteen brings in revenues to turn us into a viable business? Why should that matter to a football club? the factit does is very sad, to me.

It's not about football anymore, it's about business and that makes me fall out of love with the game. That's not SISU's fault either, because they've just piggy backed on something we've all accepted, and continue to accept as long as we let the talk be about finance rather than football, investors rather than owners, businessmen rather than fans made good.

torchomatic

Negotiating tactic North?
Doesn't that thought disgust you? It does me. That football has been reduced to doing "business" in this manner is a sad statement of how finance is ruining our sport, even at our low level. That anyone can find doing "business" in this manner as fit and proper is not a nice thought. Still, for some, as long as they can sit in their seat at 3pm on Saturday, it is irrelevant what our owners do.

Agreed with your sentiments until your unnecessary dig at fans who want to support their team. I wish people would let fans choose what they want to do for themselves without being labelled as disloyal.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

simmouk

Administrator
That steward was me on the radio this morning. I hope I got my points across ok. There were a couple of other things I wanted to say but didn't get the chance - like the fact that in pre-match briefings we were constantly told the party line to tow was "it's business as usual" - that's the sort of BS that I couldn't stand any more. As a fan and an employee. I also wanted to say that it's 'easier' for me as a casual member of staff to take my own personal stand against it by not working and not being willing to work elsewhere - whereas with a lot of the full time CCFC staff who've been there for years who do support the club, what can they do? It's their full time job, they need to income to support families etc or whatever their circumstances. I feel sorry for them being forced to tow that line.

But the main thing I wanted to make sure that I put across was that, unless I was talking about something I knew for sure (i.e. no stewards from the stand I am on signed the sheet to indicate willingness) I was speaking from my own personal view and not for all steward or all fans etc.

We were also told that 'everything is in place' for ground sharing at Walsall although I don't know what that actually means - I assume it means that all the relevant paperwork has been prepared ready to sign on the dotted line. I can also only assume Walsall's manager saying it's not going to happen is either a)true or b) the ground share has been arranged over his head with the Tim Fisher equivalent at Walsall?

Someone asked me if going on the radio and talking about the situation as a steward would effect me working there i.e. will I loose my job for spilling the info, well the way I look at it, I'm personally not willing to work for SISU at The Ricoh or anywhere else anyway, it's my own choice, and as it's highly likely they'll be here at the start of the season, I don't see how it would effect me. The problem we face as fans with what's happening to the club is so much bigger, in my opinion, than Stewards' jobs.

Last edited:

Macca

Agreed with your sentiments until your unnecessary dig at fans who want to support their team. I wish people would let fans choose what they want to do for themselves without being labelled as disloyal.

I think it's a very good point. Football clubs / owners can do what they want to their fans because of the almost unique customer loyalty. It's why City have had this core support of about 10,000 throughout the 30 years I've been going. The football has got worse, the matchday experience worse and the cost in real terms increased but still we go. Very few other consumer groups like football fans

Dhinsa's_Millions

That steward was me on the radio this morning. I hope I got my points across ok. There were a couple of other things I wanted to say but didn't get the chance (like the fact that in pre-match briefings we were constantly told the party line to tow was "it's business as usual" - that's the sort of BS that I couldn't stand any more. As a fan and an employee. I also wanted to say that it's 'easier' for me as a casual member of staff to take my own personal stand against it by not working and not being willing to work elsewhere - whereas with a lot of the full time CCFC staff who've been there for years who do support the club, what can they do? It's their full time job, they need to income to support families etc or whatever their circumstances. I feel sorry for them being forced to tow that line.

But the main thing I wanted to make sure that I put across was that, unless I was talking about something I knew for sure (i.e. no stewards from the stand I am on signed the sheet to indicate willingness) I was speaking from my own personal view and not for all steward or all fans etc.

We were also told that 'everything is in place' for ground sharing at Walsall although I don't know what that actually means - I assume it means that all the relevant paperwork has been prepared ready to sign on the dotted line. I can also only assume Walsall's manager saying it's not going to happen is either a)true or b) the ground share has been arranged over his head with the Tim Fisher equivalent at Walsall?

Someone asked me if going on the radio and talking about the situation as a steward would effect me working there i.e. will I loose my job for spilling the info, well the way I look at it, I'm personally not willing to work for SISU at The Ricoh or anywhere else anyway, it's my own choice, and as it's highly likely they'll be here at the start of the season, I don't see how it would effect me. The problem we face as fans with what's happening to the club is so much bigger, in my opinion, than Stewards' jobs.

Great post and fair play to you for going on and speaking about it!

From a personal point of view I've been a Coventry City Fan since 1985 - taking the club anywhere else is fundamentally wrong and I won't be buying a season ticket or spending any money while SISU are in change. I will go to away games.

If SISU want to cut their nose off to spite their face not sell and take us under its all for the wrong reasons. The club is for sale its just they think they can get someone to give them all their cash back! Who is prepared to do that?!

dongonzalos

He didn't label fans as disloyal.

He said that despite what some owners do.
There are fans who don't care one bit what the owners are up to, they just care about getting a seat to watch football.

Some fans are annoyed with the owners action at the moment as they are starting to take seriously the threat to move ground.

This affects that particular fan personally.

Whereas before when the owners were refusing to honour contracts and conducting less than desirable business practices. It didn't matter as they were still getting to watch their team.

Some encouraged the owners actions saying they don't really care what the owners do to anyone else as long as it benefits the team.

duffer

That steward was me on the radio this morning. I hope I got my points across ok. There were a couple of other things I wanted to say but didn't get the chance (like the fact that in pre-match briefings we were constantly told the party line to tow was "it's business as usual" - that's the sort of BS that I couldn't stand any more. As a fan and an employee. I also wanted to say that it's 'easier' for me as a casual member of staff to take my own personal stand against it by not working and not being willing to work elsewhere - whereas with a lot of the full time CCFC staff who've been there for years who do support the club, what can they do? It's their full time job, they need to income to support families etc or whatever their circumstances. I feel sorry for them being forced to tow that line.

It took some courage did that - good on you and your colleagues for taking a stand.

It might not of itself put a stop to SISU's daft plan, but it's another barrier to cross, and another indication to them and the FL that what they're proposing is a really, really bad idea.

jesus-wept

Well said simmouk and respect to you. The stewarding of Walsall or wherever has to be a problem for Fisher (sisu) the main thing is they don't know for sure how many fans will go, could be less than a 1000 or 3/4/5000 + away fans and maybe a few locals and will they be peaceful. So it is likely there will be police at all the games, another cost to sisu. I would love a bit of a campaign from the Trust to the reguar Walsall stewards not to get involved too

SkyBlueSwiss

Torch,
I actually was not trying to have a dig at fans, I was having a go at the mentality in football that says they don't care how it happens as long as they can watch football.
I have arguments with my brother, who lives in Salford and is a Man Utd fan since 40 years. He does not care about English players or the England team as long as he can watch some of the best football in the world. As long as he can watch world class players every week, nothing else matters, and it is this blinkered attitude that I am indeed having a dig at.

hill83

If the stewards end up being the final thing that keeps us at the Ricoh are all the people slagging them off over the years going to love them now? ;)

Last edited:

wingy

If the stewards end up being the final thing that keeps us at the Ricoh are all the people slagging them off over the years going to love them now? ;)

Yes if we are kicking off at the RICOH in 5 weeks I will hand in the Coffin to them along with the Incendiary banners and Grandsons food parcel ,only buying Stadium produce from then on.:)

Noggin

There are many massive obstacles that come from moving us out of the city, the stewards not wanting to go is a very tiny obstacle, Don't get me wrong I'm supportive and grateful that they are taking a stand but ultimately I don't feel it makes it any harder for sisu to move us away.

Sky Blue Dal

That steward was me on the radio this morning. I hope I got my points across ok. There were a couple of other things I wanted to say but didn't get the chance - like the fact that in pre-match briefings we were constantly told the party line to tow was "it's business as usual" - that's the sort of BS that I couldn't stand any more. As a fan and an employee. I also wanted to say that it's 'easier' for me as a casual member of staff to take my own personal stand against it by not working and not being willing to work elsewhere - whereas with a lot of the full time CCFC staff who've been there for years who do support the club, what can they do? It's their full time job, they need to income to support families etc or whatever their circumstances. I feel sorry for them being forced to tow that line.

Well done lad!!!

Brighton Sky Blue

Of all of his 450 posts his 14 'likes' have all come from that one post. Coincidence? ;)

NorthernWisdom

There are many massive obstacles that come from moving us out of the city, the stewards not wanting to go is a very tiny obstacle, Don't get me wrong I'm supportive and grateful that they are taking a stand but ultimately I don't feel it makes it any harder for sisu to move us away.

Yep, agreed. The protest is symbolic more than anything else, as obviously they can get replacement stewards easily enough, times are hard on the job market!

But, it is one of the few symbolic protests that can be made from within the club itself, so for that it's got to be worth something more than most things we've heard so far.

simmouk

Administrator

I think you're right Noggin and to a point I think us being asked is merely ticking the box on the form under the 'things you must do in preparation to ground share' section - that's how I view the Fans Forums too - ticking the box to say they've consulted the fans.

I have been very grateful over the years to work for the club I support and it's given me many fantastic opportunities I wouldn't normally have like meeting/bumping in to former and current players and other CCFC figures, and of course working the concerts too and not forgetting the Olympic football (for which, we are paid by Compass - they (ACL/Compass) could and do get other 'event management staff' to cover some areas but it makes sense for them to employ staff who know the layout and operation of the stadium already etc) - all stuff I wouldn't get a chance to do - but I can't work there any more, it's not for me.

I know the general consensus is that Stewards aren't particularly well thought of, but I always tried to do my job from the fans perspective and when I had to enforce the stupid rules like 'no alcohol in view of the pitch' in the corporate boxes, I made a joke of it and spoke to the fans like people, explained I'm just doing my job and I need to be seen to be performing my job, in return they'd more than likely comply and maybe you'd have to gently nudge them once more during the game but that's it.

But when you're trying to tell a group of 12 people to sit down or not wander 1 cm outside their box with their pint glass, and we're in the middle of another transfer embargo and the rent hasn't been paid and we're loosing 0-2 at home and there isn't one positive to their day, and everything is "business as usual", and the club shop doesn't exist and no one knows where the last 3 home games of the season are going to be played, the last thing they want to hear is me being a jobs worth and ruining their day even more. That's why I can't work there any more.

Last edited:

lordsummerisle

Yes if we are kicking off at the RICOH in 5 weeks I will hand in the Coffin to them along with the Incendiary banners and Grandsons food parcel ,only buying Stadium produce from then on.:)

Don't do that, join the NOMP campaign.

#notonemorepie

You'll feel healthier and will force ACL back to the negotiating table.

#notonemorepie

simmouk

Administrator
Surely, the Walsall stewards can just earn double time?

That's what I would of thought. Similar to if another event (i.e. Olympic football or concert) takes place at the Ricoh, CCFC stewards are asked as they know the stadium. Again, I think it's ticking boxes. Unless Walsall have made that a condition of the ground share. Or if Walsall said they're Stewards would need to be paid more than it would cost for SISU to pay us to work there. Or the Walsall stewards have said they won't, to take a stand?

wozey

I don't see this as a stumbling block and neither will sisu, they are obliged by law to offer them to move if they refuse they just employ new people

Nonleagueherewecome

Leamington Pete

Well done for the interview, you came across brilliantly. Were you told by the club that everything is in place for a groundshare at Walsall specifically? On the radio you indicated that no one knew for definite where it might be but were assuming it was Walsall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Maniac

I think I understand what this thread is about. That's some achievement considering I have no idea what language the first two posts are in.

blueflint

Torch,
I actually was not trying to have a dig at fans, I was having a go at the mentality in football that says they don't care how it happens as long as they can watch football.
I have arguments with my brother, who lives in Salford and is a Man Utd fan since 40 years. He does not care about English players or the England team as long as he can watch some of the best football in the world. As long as he can watch world class players every week, nothing else matters, and it is this blinkered attitude that I am indeed having a dig at.

you will find torch over reacts to anything he disagrees with

simmouk

Administrator
Well done for the interview, you came across brilliantly. Were you told by the club that everything is in place for a ground share at Walsall specifically? On the radio you indicated that no one knew for definite where it might be but were assuming it was Walsall.

I can't remember the exact wording (which is why I stumbled a bit when talking about it this morning!) that was used when the matter of asking Stewards to sign the sheet was raised in the briefing, but yes as far as I recall we were told that everything is in place for Walsall. However I can't for sure remember if this was the official line or if this was the person who was telling us, adding their own info/thought. Sorry, rubbish answer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread