One more possibly (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Mark Robins
MARK Robins is looking to add at least one more player to boost his promotion chasing Coventry City squad in the transfer window.

The Sky Blues boss has hinted that he could be in the market for a striker but says it is not Jason Scotland, who is actively looking for a new club after being paid up by Ipswich.

It is understood that the 33-year-old made contact with the club this week but Robins said: “I am always interested in players, although there’s nothing in that one.

“There’s seven days left of the transfer window so maybe someone is trying to generate some interest but I can’t see that that would happen here and we’d probably need one or two out before we could bring anybody in.

“I’m not saying it won’t happen – although not for that particular player – because I have got my eye on someone and we’ll see what happens in the out department.”

Asked if he’s looking for a striker in particular, he added: “I’m in the market for good players; people who are going to help us in the run in. I wouldn’t like to confine it to a position.

“If I can get someone who can make a difference then yes, I’ll try to do it, and, generally, if I can get someone who is going to guarantee me goals then I’d be very, very interested.

"But we have to wait and see and like I say, if someone goes out it might just trigger something.”

Roy O’Donovan looks the most likely to follow Cody McDonald out on loan to free up wages.

“There has been a bit of interest in Roy but that’s just been a conversation at the moment,” said Robins who revealed that McDonald – who this week completed his loan to League Two Gillingham until the end of the season – is on a 28-day recall, and he’d have no qualms about bringing the 26-year-old back if he starts banging in the goals for the Gills.

“If he turns round and starts smashing goals in and it suits me to bring him back after 28 days then I may do that,” said the manager ahead of tomorrow’s trip to Preston North End.

“I have got to look after this football club as well as trying to help the player as much as I can, as long as it’s not to the detriment of us.

"At the moment it’s not so he can go out, but obviously he’s under contract to us beyond the end of the season so it’s in our interests to get him out to try to rediscover his touch.

“I have spoken to Cody and been honest with him. He’s going there to play and try to rediscover his goal scoring. He hasn’t quite done that here yet in the volume he did there before, but maybe if he can switch that on and come back and join in.

“But if he’s doing well there and we’re doing OK then he’ll remain there to the last game of the season. I’m hoping he does really well. We’ll keep tabs on him because he’s our player and it’s in both our interests to do well.”

Robins confirmed that McDonald would be available for the play-offs if City are in that situation at the end of April.

Speaking on his arrival at the Priestfield Stadium where he rattled in 25 goals in 41 league games two years ago, McDonald revealed that Robins didn’t want him to go to a rival League One club and says that he feels he didn’t fit in with the manager’s way of playing.

“The new manager’s formations didn’t quite suit my game and things didn’t work out,” he said.

“It was agreed that if the right club came in I could go out on loan. Mark Robins wasn’t keen on me going to another League One club so when Gills came in for me, then for me it was only Gills. It’s a great opportunity as they are obviously playing well and there was no doubt in my mind to help Gills get promoted.”

CovMatt1987

Id say striker is the area we probably need to look at. Defence looks pretty set now with Blair back - Midfield similar, with Bailey - we need another to add to the competition for Clarke and Elliott up front.

one or two out before any come in is the thing to look at there - if it is a striker coming in, id assume (as the article suggests) ROD would be one of the ones out. then probably a midfielder.

Gint11

Safe move by Robins actually. Could have just let him go but sending him on loan only, if he plays each week, gets match fit and starts bagging in goals again (yes I know League 2) then he can come back, get a 2nd chance and hopefully give us a push at the end. Otherwise if he doesnt hit it off at Gills then he can let him go.

stupot07

Safe move by Robins actually. Could have just let him go but sending him on loan only, if he plays each week, gets match fit and starts bagging in goals again (yes I know League 2) then he can come back, get a 2nd chance and hopefully give us a push at the end. Otherwise if he doesnt hit it off at Gills then he can let him go.

The only way we will get a decent fee for him is on the back of a good run. I very much doubt he will be here next season. Robins is saying the right things t keep the door open, but h's obviously not in Robins plans and has seen ROD and recently Wilson ahead of him in the pecking order.

Users who are viewing this thread