Only two people to blame (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

I'm not defending Mowbray, the league position don't lie. If his cloth was cut considering he shown what he is capable of by getting us 8th position, then 50% of that blame lays with the board.

Agreed. It can't be a good environment to work in.

shy_tall_knight

Does anyone believe that his budget might have been reduced during the squad-building process, this is SISU the corporate team that thought our breakeven figure was a certain crowd level only to change it a few months later. We are a financially unstable company with uncommitted owners they make talk of a budget but not release all the funds, nobody knows but its not just TM's fault and MV will always be economical with the truth.

clint van damme

The reasons why some of last seasons better performers are no longer with us will probably remain with TM and MV, however, I wouldn't have thought they were all purely footballing reasons. As for the question of budget and how does S_T_K know that the CCFC budget is smaller than Bury or Rochdale. I don't know the answer to that but one thing that I can tell you quite categorically is - and I quote - "even Oxford are paying higher wages than us". I think that puts the financing issues into perspective. Of course, I don't know what Oxfords budget is either but football is of course very much a mercenary game where players and their agents will often look at the financial return rather than say, playing in a nice stadium of a club that were once in the Premier League.

Oxford made a few bob on that lad they sold to Leeds. Maybe there owners have the novel idea of re-investing the money in the team!

SkyBlueZack

He showed ambition. If he signed the players he wanted he would be lauded as amazing, but because he couldn't compete in terms of wages he's criticised. Would you have complained if we had signed top end league 1/lower end championship players? So what was he left with? Signing average players. You all seem to be experts on which type of player he SHOULD have signed yet no one mentions any names. Would be interesting to see who our fans wanted to sign.

He didn't get the players he wanted purely down to the money we could offer and we were outmuscled. Is that mowbrays fault?

Some of the fans opinions and comments are moronic, absolutely.

Ambition? He showed he didn't learn anything from the start of the year. He could of signed the players he wanted, any guarantees they would perform? Compete with wages? With who? Rotherham who are in the league above? Is it not being competitive or thinking a players isn't worth that? As mentioned before look at Bury and Scunthorpe signings, they weren't aiming for championship players. Then look at Sheff Utd who are throwing money at it every year, are they reaping the rewards? Or is it fine to fail if you throw money at it? Even if it put's the clubs future in danger. As is the scenario currently being played out at our club. Most fans wanted Ben Turner, but most would also agree it was wishful thinking and if a championship team offered him a deal we had no chance. Same with Kelvin Wilson. We didn't need to go after championship players. One of our best players, if not the best, last season was Chris Stokes. You know, that Forest Green reserve lad.

Perryccfc

Ambition? He showed he didn't learn anything from the start of the year. He could of signed the players he wanted, any guarantees they would perform? Compete with wages? With who? Rotherham who are in the league above? Is it not being competitive or thinking a players isn't worth that? As mentioned before look at Bury and Scunthorpe signings, they weren't aiming for championship players. Then look at Sheff Utd who are throwing money at it every year, are they reaping the rewards? Or is it fine to fail if you throw money at it? Even if it put's the clubs future in danger. As is the scenario currently being played out at our club. Most fans wanted Ben Turner, but most would also agree it was wishful thinking and if a championship team offered him a deal we had no chance. Same with Kelvin Wilson. We didn't need to go after championship players. One of our best players, if not the best, last season was Chris Stokes. You know, that Forest Green reserve lad.

So you agree that Mowbray should be criticised for going after players he thought would get us out of this league?

SkyBlueZack

We made a few bob on that lad we sold to Norwich...

Which has allowed the club to not record a loss subject to interest. As TF has said we're in an unfortunate position of having to sell players to fund operating costs. Like most league one clubs. To overcome that we need to increase income, primarily due to our situation is ticket sales. Of course the club could do more to bring money in through other avenues.

SkyBlueZack

So you agree that Mowbray should be criticised for going after players he thought would get us out of this league?

Yes. As I've said there is no would about it, it's a maybe, a possible. Nothing in life is guaranteed. He had a team who were top of the table at christmas and it fell away. Same as it did at Boro with TM twice before. Was the team good enough last year? We could have signed Messi and Iniesta who would play for free, still doesn't mean we would get promoted. TM had spent over a season in the league and was aware teams would be physical and attempt to bully his team out of their game. He did nothing to address this. How is that anyone's fault but his own?

Wheelfass

Oxford made a few bob on that lad they sold to Leeds. Maybe there owners have the novel idea of re-investing the money in the team!
We made a few bob on that lad we sold to Norwich...
That sums it all up nicely. So Mowbray and Venus between them may have made some uninspired signings and maybe some questionable tactical desicisions but infact there may be more than "Only two people to blame".

ccfchoi87

He showed ambition. If he signed the players he wanted he would be lauded as amazing, but because he couldn't compete in terms of wages he's criticised. Would you have complained if we had signed top end league 1/lower end championship players? So what was he left with? Signing average players. You all seem to be experts on which type of player he SHOULD have signed yet no one mentions any names. Would be interesting to see who our fans wanted to sign.

He didn't get the players he wanted purely down to the money we could offer and we were outmuscled. Is that mowbrays fault?

Some of the fans opinions and comments are moronic, absolutely.

He should've kept the decent senior players we had, he shouldn't have gone after unrealistic targets. He has admitted those players are currently in the championship. That's no sisu's fault

covcity4life

it was a risk. had we got the players we wanted we may be top far and away above everyone else and no fans would moan

it didnt pay off, but i cant bring myself to blame anyone for aiming high

SkyBlueZack

That boat set sail ages ago Tim, nice try.

Yeah! Let's all expect a Cayman Island hedge fund to fund a football club they clearly don't give a shit about even though we have lifelong fans who refuse to buy anything and fund the club.

This is not a dig at fans. Just being objective. Cue abuse still though.

SkyBlueZack

it was a risk. had we got the players we wanted we may be top far and away above everyone else and no fans would moan

it didnt pay off, but i cant bring myself to blame anyone for aiming high

Even if aiming high may leave us with a squad that is relegated? TM is an experienced manager. Without doubt he should of had a bit more about him than to leave himself short.

covcity4life

we wont get relegated, i am sure of that

squad is fine bar central defence imo. will probably buy someone there in jan

Perryccfc

Yes. As I've said there is no would about it, it's a maybe, a possible. Nothing in life is guaranteed. He had a team who were top of the table at christmas and it fell away. Same as it did at Boro with TM twice before. Was the team good enough last year? We could have signed Messi and Iniesta who would play for free, still doesn't mean we would get promoted. TM had spent over a season in the league and was aware teams would be physical and attempt to bully his team out of their game. He did nothing to address this. How is that anyone's fault but his own?

He did nothing to address this? He signed players that were experienced to help the younger players. Not great players but players who could handle this league in terms of physicality and because they weren't premier league level players he and they were again slated.

No matter who takes this job and who he signs are fans will still criticise and say it's not good enough.

As far as I can see it, Mowbray tried to sign players this summer that were more than capable of playing week in week out in this league and wasn't backed enough to achieve this. And the fans are so narrow minded they can't recognise this so they blame him and not the owners.

SISU brought us here so the blame lays with them. Not Mowbray or thorn or any other poor prick who picks up the mantle.

SkyBlueZack

He did nothing to address this? He signed players that were experienced to help the younger players. Not great players but players who could handle this league in terms of physicality and because they weren't premier league level players he and they were again slated.

No matter who takes this job and who he signs are fans will still criticise and say it's not good enough.

As far as I can see it, Mowbray tried to sign players this summer that were more than capable of playing week in week out in this league and wasn't backed enough to achieve this. And the fans are so narrow minded they can't recognise this so they blame him and not the owners.

SISU brought us here so the blame lays with them. Not Mowbray or thorn or any other poor prick who picks up the mantle.

Experienced players? Not the same as physical players which was what I was saying. Who is handling the physicality of this league then? The irony of you saying because they weren't premier league players when you're calling for championship players/players out of our league. I'm calling for us to look at non league players, why I mentioned Chris Stokes.

Yeah the fans will, that's football, are you new to the sport?

Capable of playing week in week out. Like Kelvin Wilson you mean, who had an injury record like Redas? Calling other fans narrow minded for not blaming the owners for a managers inabilty to see the obvious. TM on taking over wanted full control of the budget and team affairs. He got it, how can that be the fault of the owners if the team on the pitch isn't good enough.

SISU have brought us here. Doesn't mean that a manager can't be criticised for getting things wrong.

Perryccfc

Experienced players? Not the same as physical players which was what I was saying. Who is handling the physicality of this league then? The irony of you saying because they weren't premier league players when you're calling for championship players/players out of our league. I'm calling for us to look at non league players, why I mentioned Chris Stokes.

Yeah the fans will, that's football, are you new to the sport?

Capable of playing week in week out. Like Kelvin Wilson you mean, who had an injury record like Redas? Calling other fans narrow minded for not blaming the owners for a managers inabilty to see the obvious. TM on taking over wanted full control of the budget and team affairs. He got it, how can that be the fault of the owners if the team on the pitch isn't good enough.

SISU have brought us here. Doesn't mean that a manager can't be criticised for getting things wrong.

So Henderson wasn't a physical player?

Oh really so sign a load of non league players because it worked with stokes.

Fans would be over the moon if we signed 6 non league players in the summer. And you'd be the first to moan saying he signed the wrong ones.

Again, more moronic comments.

Nick

Administrator

Fans would be over the moon if we signed 6 non league players in the summer. And you'd be the first to moan saying he signed the wrong ones.

Why is it moronic? It makes sense to get the best of non league / League 2 rather than chasing Championship players with no backup plan.

We have nobody in the squad now who can give a good physical lesson, like we seem to get all of the time. Look at that Wimbledon striker who absolutely hammered our defence all game.

covcity4life

Why is it moronic? It makes sense to get the best of non league / League 2 rather than chasing Championship players with no backup plan.

We have nobody in the squad now who can give a good physical lesson, like we seem to get all of the time. Look at that Wimbledon striker who absolutely hammered our defence all game.

getting l2 players is also a risk. it could have lowered our quality

its a gamble that didnt pay off but your insistence that TM made worst decision of all time is ridiculous. he would have tried to ge tphysical ones in,. it didnt happen. hindsight is 20/20 in your case it seems

SkyBlueZack

I thought you were referring to Henderson, interesting really. How many games did Henderson, Hunt and Ramage play? Were they up to scratch? Or just a household name? There the sort of players you want to sign though? Didn't say sign a load of non league players. I said look at them, they would be better equipped them some players we have signed, permanently or loan.

First to moan? Like you are, for people daring to criticise Mowbray for misjudging the summer recruitment process. On your line of thinking it's SISUS fault TM couldn't get the players he wanted, does that mean last year's players and good form was down to them?

Resorting to calling people mornic because they don't agree with you and explain why, makes you look moronic, well done.

Nick

Administrator
getting l2 players is also a risk. it could have lowered our quality

its a gamble that didnt pay off but your insistence that TM made worst decision of all time is ridiculous. he would have tried to ge tphysical ones in,. it didnt happen. hindsight is 20/20 in your case it seems
not really, he said last season he saw we needed it.

It isn't hindsight if it was already known

SkyBlueZack

No I think he thought I'll try and get a former premier league CB (Ben Turner) or a CB who had played champions league football on a reported £20,000 a week? at his last employer (Kelvin Wilson). Surely it's blindingly obvious he was aiming too high.

JimmyHillsbeard

MV (in stark contrast to last season) apparently doesn't know where our budget falls in the league this season, as he confirmed on CWR on Fridays phone in.

My guess is that our budget is the same as last season whereas most other teams in league one have moved forward and increased. Which basically equates to a budget cut in real terms.

exactly.I'd be amazed if Bury's budget was anywhere near the level it was last year when they had Clarke, Hussey et al. But that too would be guesswork.

Users who are viewing this thread