Operation Premiership (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

[QUOTE="Sky Blue Harry H, post: 2823314, member: 1888

We all know there are a few flat earthers sprinkled around this forum
[/QUOTE]
You didn’t buy into the round earth conspiracy theory did you?

SBT

Update: You can’t realistically expect playoffs when you sell your best player with three weeks of the window left. Who knows how much more business we’ll do this window, but unless our replacements don’t take any time to settle in, and the rest of the squad doesn’t take any time to adopt new formation/tactics, I would say a playoff run isn’t on the cards.

Grendel

Update: You can’t realistically expect playoffs when you sell your best player with three weeks of the window left. Who knows how much more business we’ll do this window, but unless our replacements don’t take any time to settle in, and the rest of the squad doesn’t take any time to adopt new formation/tactics, I would say a playoff run isn’t on the cards.

Somewhat over dramatic - the club will have some replacements lined up - this cannot internally be a surprise

Chris1987

So here's the scenario. Cov get promoted .
How much do you think Doug would throw at keeping the club up bearing in mind how much he's ploughed back in so far and the fact that more spending is likely?
Gambler or prudent or something down the middle

Martin180

So here's the scenario. Cov get promoted .
How much do you think Doug would throw at keeping the club up bearing in mind how much he's ploughed back in so far and the fact that more spending is likely?
Gambler or prudent or something down the middle
I personally think we would continue the model we are currently using and sign some young players with a view to the long term . Obviously we would hope to stay up but building for another promotion push seems the most prudent way

Chris1987

Surely with the signings to date and what looks like another £15M to spend anything other than top 6 is disappointing?

pipkin73

I personally think we would continue the model we are currently using and sign some young players with a view to the long term . Obviously we would hope to stay up but building for another promotion push seems the most prudent way
Agree, just with better quality youngsters than we can afford now.

Reactions: vow

Martin180

Surely with the signings to date and what looks like another £15M to spend anything other than top 6 is disappointing?
I’ve backed us to go up automatically , only Leicester seem better as a squad than us . Yet we should’ve beat them
Southampton are going to lose the spine of their side , Leeds are just dreadful , Boro can’t score and others have either lost parachute payments or are in financial difficulties. Only wild card I can see is Birmingham City who have massive investment
The league isn’t as strong as some would suggest , last season it was definetly stronger and we still made the play offs

pipkin73

I get the thinking, but it depends on how long they take to click.
If they start to click and look as good as i think they can be by or before the start of November (as long as we are not too far behind) i think we can go on another run and hit the play-offs.

If they click earlier, i don't see why (with the quality of players i expect to come in with the Hammer money) why we can't push for top 3 or even autos. First signs are promising. PUSB

pipkin73

Absolutely, add to the young squad we have with established top end young players
I wouldn't say established as even it we went up i don't think we would afford the amount we need. Some established, some gambles, but the gambles would be on better quality players.

Martin180

Just looking at the window as a whole I don’t see why so many teams who know they are going to lose players wait so long to get the deals done ? We got Vik done early and it signalled a snowball of signings who we’ve had a few weeks to bed into the squad
It just seems that the likes of Southampton and others will be a few weeks behind , in terms of squad , when the window closes

Chris1987

Just looking at the window as a whole I don’t see why so many teams who know they are going to lose players wait so long to get the deals done ? We got Vik done early and it signalled a snowball of signings who we’ve had a few weeks to bed into the squad
It just seems that the likes of Southampton and others will be a few weeks behind , in terms of squad , when the window closes
And that then provokes panic buying and shit over priced last minute signings as per Chelsea over the last 2 seasons. We are probably lucky at having received so much dosh for just 2 players and the Maddison money . Apart from the parachute payments clubs this puts us in a unique position. I respect Vik as he made it plain he was gone early so the money became available very soon. Hamer was more protracted but a least he wasn't sold short and we have plenty of time left to complete the squad. Soton are playing a dangerous game imo

pipkin73

Holding on for the best price.

Southampton's players sales could vary by 10 million on an early sale where as ours were not far from what they could lose.

I'm sure if someone offered the money at the start they would take it and start their rebuild earlier.

Chris1987

Holding on for the best price.

Southampton's players sales could vary by 10 million on an early sale where as ours were not far from what they could lose.

I'm sure if someone offered the money at the start they would take it and start their rebuild earlier.
Financially they're not in a great position either

Alkhen

Pre season I thought we had no chance with the teams that came down but Leeds look poor, Saints will lose key players and we should have beaten Leicester.

We have a chance, we aren't gonna lose any other stars this window and we have cash for strengthening. Really hopeful for a good season

pipkin73

They could have sold Lavia for 30 million as early offers were, but they held on and got a value of 53 million.

I know they have debts but by holding on they got an extra 23 million.

That is a lot of extra money to rebuild the squad to go up with the talent they already have.

pipkin73

Pre season I thought we had no chance with the teams that came down but Leeds look poor, Saints will lose key players and we should have beaten Leicester.

We have a chance, we aren't gonna lose any other stars this window and we have cash for strengthening. Really hopeful for a good season
If they click quickly we have a great team with depth to the squad, for the first time i can remember. We could be in for a great season, we just have to allow the players time to gell.

Finham

Be surprised if we have £15m up front for Hamer, probably nearer £10-11m with the rest in add-ons?

Flying Fokker

Be surprised if we have £15m up front for Hamer, probably nearer £10-11m with the rest in add-ons?
Perhaps the deals we make will be the same? Given that most of the transfer market is set up this way it makes no difference. We still have £15 million gross. Spending the money wisely is the key.

ptr

Happens every year, everyone says it the strongest championship they’ve seen because of the teams that have come down. Fact is, not all these teams can be as strong as people think - they can’t all win each week.The league will always be a ‘anybody can beat anybody league’. One or Two teams run away with it and the rest is a free for all depending on injuries etc. Keep clean sheets and you’ve got a very good chance, exactly what we did last year.

hamertime

Because waiting an extra few weeks can generate several more million pounds more rather than folding and taking the first offer on the table. Unfortunately its a money business now, they would rather set the squad back than loose the millions.

shmmeee

Happens every year, everyone says it the strongest championship they’ve seen because of the teams that have come down. Fact is, not all these teams can be as strong as people think - they can’t all win each week.The league will always be a ‘anybody can beat anybody league’. One or Two teams run away with it and the rest is a free for all depending on injuries etc. Keep clean sheets and you’ve got a very good chance, exactly what we did last year.

Heard a commentator say “this seasons Championship is tough because you’ve got teams that have come down and teams that have got promoted”. That’s every years Championship!!

Hobo

There won’t be anything - I’d guess he will have the next two seasons to get promoted
This year is potentially a rebuild year, more pressure next season. But I still think King will view things in context of each seasons events rather than just league position.

I think he will equally keen to see the club growing off the pitch not just on it. If progress is being made I think he will be happy. Especially if we have sold another player or two for a multi million pound profit that gives the club further reinvestment funds (keeping his own hands from needing to go into his own pockets).

Johhny Blue

[QUOTE="SBT, post: 2831054, member: Who knows how much more business we’ll do this window, but unless our replacements don’t take any time to settle in, and the rest of the squad doesn’t take any time to adopt new formation/tactics, I would say a playoff run isn’t on the cards.
[/QUOTE]
You can say it but no-one will believe you.

Astute

Update. Teams near the bottom of the table after the first couple of months will end up near the top. Teams near the top will end up mid table or lower.

Look at what happened last season. 13 games in.

1 Sheffield United
2 Norwich
3 QPR
4 Burnley
5 Reading

9 Luton
11 Sunderland
21 Middlesbrough
24 Coventry

Out of the top 5 two were automatically promoted. The other 3 didn't do so well.

13 Norwich
20 QPR
22 and relegated Reading.

I'm happy with the start. Hardest game of the season first game and we could easily have got something. Cup game was what happens in football. Started to look better against Middlesbrough although the defence needs a little work.

Get the fitness levels to where they need to be and get the players to know how each other prefer to play and we have nobody in this division to worry us. Wright and Godden seem to have a good understanding already.

Hobo

Update. Teams near the bottom of the table after the first couple of months will end up near the top. Teams near the top will end up mid table or lower.

1 Sheffield United
2 Norwich
3 QPR
4 Burnley
5 Reading

9 Luton
11 Sunderland
21 Middlesbrough
24 Coventry

Out of the top 5 two were automatically promoted. The other 3 didn't do so well.

13 Norwich
20 QPR

I'm happy with the start. Hardest game of the season first game and we could easily have got something. Cup game was what happens in football. Started to look better against Middlesbrough although the defence needs a little work.

Get the fitness levels to where they need to be and get the players to know how each other prefer to play and we have nobody in this division to worry us. Wright and Godden seem to have a good understanding already.

It's very simple, it's where you finish not how you start that counts. It's like watching a long distance running race, the early leaders and pace setters often don't finish in the top three.

shmmeee

It's very simple, it's where you finish not how you start that counts. It's like watching a long distance running race, the early leaders and pace setters often don't finish in the top three.

Its also not an even playing field until halfway through. Our start to the season is much tougher than a lot of teams for example.

Hobo

Its also not an even playing field until halfway through. Our start to the season is much tougher than a lot of teams for example.
...and fixtures are a lottery as you can meet a team at a good time or a bad time regarding form injuries etc.,

Astute

Which could be to our advantage. Play the better sides before they get up to speed.

Next two games Swansea and Sunderland. One point between them so far. Good time to play them. Just beat Middlesbrough by 3 goals. Bottom with 0 points. And unlucky against an unorganised Leicester side.

Ipswich top and Plymouth 4th. Not been a good time to play them.

Flying Fokker

1 Sheffield United
2 Norwich
3 QPR
4 Burnley
5 Reading

9 Luton
11 Sunderland
21 Middlesbrough
24 Coventry

13 Norwich
20 QPR

Our last 5 game look interesting. I hope we are clear by then!

Users who are viewing this thread