Ostigard (1 Viewer)

KersleyDigs

I think people are going a little over the top with the rose tinted specs with Leo. Like we will never be able to get an adequate replacement! Some perspective, he was average first half of the season. Improved in the second. He got his head to a lot of set pieces and should have scored a lot more. He was the worst defender in our squad in terms of distribution. He was caught out of position a fair few times too. I loved his passion and attitude and his goals in the run in will live long in the memories of fans. I do also think those goals have skewed a lot of fans' opinions on how good he is/was. I would have him back, of course, but if you really think over the past season, he was decent, immense; no.

Last edited:

Esoterica

In many ways an old school, blood and guts, throw your body on the line defender which will have resonated with many older fans. A passionate, at times intimidating, 21 year old who improved more than any of our own defenders over the course of the season and has the potential to carry on that improvement again in both his passing accuracy and positioning. A bigger threat from set pieces than we've had for several seasons and started to convert those chances towards the end of the season. If we were in the unlikely position to buy him we could hone those flaws and he'd be the medium term replacement for McFadzean.

You're right he wasn't the complete package but ultimately, as a football fan, I enjoyed watching him and he entertained me much more than Rose and Hyam who I find pretty bland and timid.

Greggs

I think people are going a little over the top with the rose tinted specs with Leo. Like we will never be able to get an adequate replacement! Some perspective, he was average first half of the season. Improved in the second. He got his head to a lot of set pieces and should have scored a lot more. He was the worst defender in our squad in terms of distribution. He was caught out of position a fair few times too. I loved his passion and attitude and his goals in the run in will live long in the memories of fans. I do also think those goals have scewed a lot of fans' opinions on how good he is/was. I would have him back, of course, but if you really think over the past season, he was decent, immense; no.
he's the only bloke that could head it from corners/throw-ins. We are so much weaker without him.

fatso

Wtf???
He's younger than our own Drysdale, and yet light years ahead of him in every respect.
Hes still only 21 so a work in progress, but he improved massively over the course of the season, he's future captain material, and is now a premier league player!

Esoterica

The other thing that influences me is the transient nature and churn of modern football. All the players with the potential for significant growth that we sold after a half decent season like Wilson, Maddison, Bayliss, McCallum. It'd just be nice to go on that development journey with them for once, hope we can do that with O'Hare at least, but suspect he'll be gone this time next year.

Offhegoes

I think Rose has the potential to be our best all round defender. His distribution and bringing the ball out of defence is fantastic. Just needs to stay fit

Rose looked way off the pace, 2 own goals as well. His passing is good, and has pace, but I am not sure his defending is up to championship quality

Sky Blue Pete

The other thing that influences me is the transient nature and churn of modern football. All the players with the potential for significant growth that we sold after a half decent season like Wilson, Maddison, Bayliss, McCallum. It'd just be nice to go on that development journey with them for once, hope we can do that with O'Hare at least, but suspect he'll be gone this time next year.
If he is it will be because he’s had a great season

KersleyDigs

Says it all!
Honestly people on here would of cum in their pants if we'd of signed him, now it looks like it wont happen, they want to break him down.
Talk about fickle ?
Not fickle, just an honest assessment of his last season. Talking about how he isn't irreplaceable. Potential isn't relevant discussion in a loan player. We should be able to replace him as a first team player is the clear point.

rob9872

Most are missing the point imo and the hype is obvious.

We wouldn't be getting the same raw player we had 12 months ago. We would be getting a player who got used to the level, was vastly improved at the end of the season, a year older, a year more experienced, strong, pacey, reads the game well and excellent in the air. All the reasons we probably won't get him this time around!

Sick Boy

Most are missing the point imo and the hype is obvious.

We wouldn't be getting the same raw player we had 12 months ago. We would be getting a player who got used to the level, was vastly improved at the end of the season, a year older, a year more experienced, strong, pacey, reads the game well and excellent in the air. All the reasons we probably won't get him this time around!
If they're going to loan him out it would be to a mid to upper mid table Championship side to aid his progression further.

steve cooper

Both him and James will be big losses - the team we have now is weaker than the one that finished the season.
At the end of last season, once we finally had a near full strength squad they proved themselves to be a comfortable mid table team, winning 4 of the last 6. We are 2 or 3 players short of a team at least on a par with last season's which MR has repeatedly said he plans to address.
Obviously we are short of cash, as are most teams, but we never advertise the fact that we have funds to strengthen. If I remember correctly MR said there was no money available for the January transfer window, but somehow we found enough behind the sofa to get James here.

fatso

Not fickle, just an honest assessment of his last season. Talking about how he isn't irreplaceable. Potential isn't relevant discussion in a loan player. We should be able to replace him as a first team player is the clear point.
Of course potential is relevant in a loan, just look at how far Osti developed during his spell here.
We all want the Osti who we had at the run in of last season, not the one who was so raw at the start.
Not getting him is a blow, and Cranie (for all his talent and experiance) isn't the dominant aerial presence that Ostigard was.
No one is irreplaceable, but as yet, we ain't replaced him!

Hoofhearted

I think Rose has the potential to be our best all round defender. His distribution and bringing the ball out of defence is fantastic. Just needs to stay fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does that mean your looking at Rose through Ostigard tinted glasses in that case 🤔

steve101

If he ended up playing against us in the Championship this season, would you fancy any of our strikers against him, particularly in the air - I wouldn't. Would you fancy defending against him at set pieces - nope.

Greggs

Both him and James will be big losses - the team we have now is weaker than the one that finished the season.
And far more error prone with Sheaf and hamer playing together. I expect some hidings

shmmeee

To be fair I don't think the OP was saying that at all and I agree with their view.

I liked him and yes he has potential, but I feel people overlooked his weaknesses. I feel McCallum was far better, but didn't get all the hype because he didn't look as passionate and kick corner flags.

I think Osti would be best in the middle of the three where distribution isn’t so important. For me an ideal back three would be him, Rose (if he steps up) and a left footed Rose.

SBT

Fuck me. Despair on here sometimes.

Name me one, just one time Osti lost an aerial duel last season?

According to WhoScored he lost 1 in 3 of them https://www.whoscored.com/Players/369971/Show/Leo-Østigard

This kind of foaming reaction to what was a very measured opening post shows how warped people’s ideas of some players are. Ostigard is a good, promising player who finished the season strongly and would make our back line a lot better if we signed him again. But he’s not Franco fucking Baresi.

Saddlebrains

According to WhoScored he lost 1 in 3 of them https://www.whoscored.com/Players/369971/Show/Leo-Østigard

This kind of foaming reaction to what was a very measured opening post shows how warped people’s ideas of some players are. Ostigard is a good, promising player who finished the season strongly and would make our back line a lot better if we signed him again. But he’s not Franco fucking Baresi.

We'll just play Drysdale then, panic over

Users who are viewing this thread