Our Investment Potential (1 Viewer)

ClarkeZ

Here is my concern. With current owners and the set up of the club in the state it is in, we are going nowhere, fast.

Unless something fairly dramatic changes, a stroke of luck or we get an investor and new owners then I just cannot see a change to the past 25 years of mediocrity and failure. Here are some worrying statistics.

Since the cup win in 87 we have:
  • Finished above 10th place in a division twice. 7th in '89 and 8th in '06.
  • Been relegated twice
  • Lost ownership of a stadium
  • Been saved from administration by 20 minutes by SISU in '07
  • Been sent into administration in '13

Owner changes and investment, surely, is the only way to permanently stop the rot. Changing managers time and time again has got us nowhere. Mediocre scouting and signings hasn't helped. With a few exceptions we have produced very little of real outstanding quality. Ground up changes to our system, facilities and ownership of, or at least a share in, a ground is vital.

Chance of an investor? Slim but improving?.
Why would an investor come in, how can they expect to see a return from this club. We are in an area (West Mids) with the lowest Gross Disposable Household Income in the UK (2013). The city is looked down upon countrywide as a concrete hole, there's really very little the city has had going its way.

However, the city has started a bit of a revival of late. Money is being pumped in, the centre is up and coming, new shops, restaurants, bars etc. Coventry University is improving spectacularly and will continue to grow. The student population is superb and getting better as the university attracts higher prospects and pumps more money into the economy.
Coventry is in the running for city of culture of the year also, that would have an enormous impact too. All of this will help but its certainly not enough on its own!

Wasps, as much as we can debate whether or not they should be, they are here. They are undoubtedly aiding the local economy also. The community will probably benefit in ways, the sporting climate of the city has and will change if their success within British and European rugby continues. As it grows into the city, hopefully so does the prospect of CCFC being taken over, even a business link between the two clubs might be of interest.

I, for one, just cannot see it happening though. I just never, ever, want to go back to Crawley on the last day of a season, 30 minutes from League 2. That was enough.

AFCCOVENTRY

There is no new investment potential for the club. Some Premiership let alone Championship clubs are struggling. To find the right investor or buyer.

Until this club gets back to the Championship at least and has a long term deal arranged to rent at the Ricoh or start building a new stadium, nothing will happen.

But a new owner is a dream at the moment.

skybluesam66

it depends if sisu try to cut their losses, and write off most of the debt
if sisu decided to say sell the club debt free for maybe £15m - then their maybe an investor
Trying to get all of their loans back and there wont

Sisu would only do that if they have given up on getting us back up the leagues, but if as supposed that they are no longer funding the club - there is little benefit to doing that. so unless they feel they have just had enough, the only way they are going anywhere is if we get out of league 1 (in either direction)

fernandopartridge

The local economic indicators are less relevant that the club's historic support levels. The support is poor for a city of its size. Compare with Leicester where household disposable income is the lowest in the country.

fernandopartridge

it depends if sisu try to cut their losses, and write off most of the debt
if sisu decided to say sell the club debt free for maybe £15m - then their maybe an investor
Trying to get all of their loans back and there wont

Sisu would only do that if they have given up on getting us back up the leagues, but if as supposed that they are no longer funding the club - there is little benefit to doing that. so unless they feel they have just had enough, the only way they are going anywhere is if we get out of league 1 (in either direction)

What are they paying £15m for? The club is worth nothing. It doesn't make any profit and its assets are a training ground and very limited number of playing staff.

Captain Dart

Seppala must sell the club unencumbered by debt (see what I did there).

Liquid Gold

The only people stupid enough to buy a football club without a stadium are a hedge fund who have no clue about football. The cycle continues.

ClarkeZ

The local economic indicators are less relevant that the club's historic support levels. The support is poor for a city of its size. Compare with Leicester where household disposable income is the lowest in the country.

Agreed, however the potential support is there. Success brings in serious numbers here and a promotion season would see much of that come back. Granted there's a number of fair weather fans amongst that, but selling out the RICOH return, Chelsea, JPT semi against Crewe etc, we can bring the numbers in. They were climbing quickly during the first half of this season and to get 10,000 on a Tuesday night against bottom of league 1, after our last 21 games, is a miracle in itself. I can't blame fans from falling away from the club given the shenanigans of our owners and overall performances over the past 15 years.

We may not have the base that Leicester have but they have had much more success recently than we have, promotions in '09 and '14 from League 1 to Premier league (not even including this season's run).

The economics of the city will undoubtedly help a prospective investor in feeling secure that its a City to run a business in, so its not entirely irrelevant.

fernandopartridge

Agreed, however the potential support is there. Success brings in serious numbers here and a promotion season would see much of that come back. Granted there's a number of fair weather fans amongst that, but selling out the RICOH return, Chelsea, JPT semi against Crewe etc, we can bring the numbers in. They were climbing quickly during the first half of this season and to get 10,000 on a Tuesday night against bottom of league 1, after our last 21 games, is a miracle in itself. I can't blame fans from falling away from the club given the shenanigans of our owners and overall performances over the past 15 years.

We may not have the base that Leicester have but they have had much more success recently than we have, promotions in '09 and '14 from League 1 to Premier league (not even including this season's run).

The economics of the city will undoubtedly help a prospective investor in feeling secure that its a City to run a business in, so its not entirely irrelevant.

I don't agree with you about the support. It petered off whilst we were still in the play off places. The support is crap apart from the odd game.

Brylowes

The football club is poor,for a city of its size.

Colin Steins Smile

I don't agree with you about the support. It petered off whilst we were still in the play off places. The support is crap apart from the odd game.

Given the long catalogue of disappointments and alienation of the fans from the owners. I feel the support has been amazing.....my worry is that the longer the slump in our fortunes goes on, then the younger generations will not feel the same connectivity and allegiance to our club and the potential fan base will reduce. Some of us are lucky to have lived through the promotion to old Div 1 then the long period in the Premier league, when we were passionate and enthusiastic about our prospects....and took pride in our "great escapes".

Today, it doesn't seem the same..... We need a fresh start with a vision and investment. TM gave us a glimpse of that vision, but investment....that's a really tough one !

ClarkeZ

Given the long catalogue of disappointments and alienation of the fans from the owners. I feel the support has been amazing.....my worry is that the longer the slump in our fortunes goes on, then the younger generations will not feel the same connectivity and allegiance to our club and the potential fan base will reduce. Some of us are lucky to have lived through the promotion to old Div 1 then the long period in the Premier league, when we were passionate and enthusiastic about our prospects....and took pride in our "great escapes".

Today, it doesn't seem the same..... We need a fresh start with a vision and investment. TM gave us a glimpse of that vision, but investment....that's a really tough one !

Couldn't agree more about the youth section of our support.
Even I was only just about lucky enough to remember a few years of the Premier League as a kid, but for those who have been brought into the club as a Championship side and worse, its been pretty terrible, not a lot to get excited about really!

We need to do something soon or we take a big risk with our long term future.

rupert_bear

I think our only hope is if a group of local well heeled business men go for a buy out. There have been the odd rumour but nothing concrete, just can't see a Roman Abromavic just turning up on the sisu doorstep somehow

Brylowes

But you don't build support over a few games,it takes years to build up
a true support.This club had it years ago, sadly it squandered it to the point
where total delusion and apathy have set in.
Now we are left with the with support that will go no matter what.
How some people make out there is no correlation between our
performance (on and off the field of play) and our support is beyond me.

chiefdave

I think our only hope is if a group of local well heeled business men go for a buy out.

Is there anyone who has the sort of money it would need? Even if a city fan won £100m on the Euro Millions it might not be enough.

Our best hope might be a Russian / Arab / Chinese business locate to the city and decide to pump huge amounts into the club. Can't see it happening.

smouch1975

I think SISU should sue Germany.
Coventry was a far prettier city until the blitz

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

jas365

Seppala must sell the club unencumbered by debt (see what I did there).

Fry_fccbb6_333023.jpg

Terry Gibson's perm

We had a conversation during the match as it was quite boring about the age of fans around us in block 20 and the average age must be quite high i am 41 and felt quite young the two guys I sit with are mid 60's and early 70's

smouch1975

We had a conversation during the match as it was quite boring about the age of fans around us in block 20 and the average age must be quite high i am 41 and felt quite young the two guys I sit with are mid 60's and early 70's
You are shitting me!
You have come across as a 78 year old, in the 18 months I have been here. Slap yourself or get a new missus. Or both

Covstu

Without proper assets i.e. a ground and contracted players we have little to 'sell'. The catchment area for me is a big sell, we are still a big city with a reasonable sized club (and a one team city).

As for investment, I think our owners have put in a decent pot this season and we got close. We need to learn from the mistakes this season and build on it. For me people need to be more realistic about what investment our owners can actually bring into the club season on season given the lack of revenue streams etc (yes probably self inflicted but this isn't the thread for that), we surely have to be one of the larger salary bills in the league. Talk of magical arabs or genies coming to pump billions in the club are just unrealistic. If we are a promising championship club then that becomes a real chance as you can think of premier league football/investment.

Brylowes

The club has done absolutely nothing to stimulate the emotions of the young
for years. The only ones that go are the ones who are taken by there
die hard parents,like me.

wingy

Ticket pricing couldn't really be lowered further and it's arguable we're too cheap
The halcyon days of the sixties were possibly higher as a percentage of income.
The economic boost from students to the City won't really benefit the Club as they are a transient population in comparison to the factory workers of those days.
Success will be the only factor when gates eventually increase and that won't come if the income drops trying to entice fans.

Wheelfass

To get a big and sustained support back again would need a sustained period of success. We all know that stats don't we.....not one top six finish for 46 years and I think 11 last day escapes from relegation.
I wouldn't say the support is "crap" or even fickle, I think it's realistic. The fans are there and waiting but many feel that the club have to give them a reason to be there first. It's just human nature I guess.

stupot07

Ticket pricing couldn't really be lowered further and it's arguable we're too cheap
The halcyon days of the sixties were possibly higher as a percentage of income.
The economic boost from students to the City won't really benefit the Club as they are a transient population in comparison to the factory workers of those days.
Success will be the only factor when gates eventually increase and that won't come if the income drops trying to entice fans.
Add to that the massive change in the demographics of the city and the pool of potential Coventry customers is shrinking rapidly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

You are shitting me!
You have come across as a 78 year old, in the 18 months I have been here. Slap yourself or get a new missus. Or both

Are you sure you are not getting me and the mighty Otis mixed up

Nick

Administrator
The only people stupid enough to buy a football club without a stadium are a hedge fund who have no clue about football. The cycle continues.
Maybe blame the council.for having none of the stadium going when people were interested when sisu came in

Captain Dart

clint van damme

I'm 48 and I'll be amazed if I see us get out of this current malaise in my life time.

Any one stupid enough to buy the club in its current state probably wouldn't be the sort of person you'd want running it.

Yo yoing between the Championship and league 1 and maybe picking up a JPT Trophy is about as good as I can see it getting

Sick Boy

If the franchise actually bought ccfc then I'd hope that the club is moved to Cornwall soon after.

Users who are viewing this thread