Our midfield - do we have problems? (1 Viewer)

edgy

All well and good to say that, but he hasn't played a single minute there for us. Why would we want half-arsed solutions.

Don't consider that half arsed. He's played numerous international games there and so is an option should your scenario of 2 players getting injured arise.
I'm not suggesting he starts there with a fit squad.

This is the whole point of having versatility. Like Eccles and Saka can play RWB. Not their position but adequate should the situation arise.

The Philosopher

Is this a joke?
They played on the playoff final alongside Hamer who was far above the level.

So did Dabo. He wasn’t a top level championship standard player.

So did Vik, who was a level above.

Ok.

IMO they (below) are not going to get into many top 6 sides. Kelly is aging, Eccles still developing and Sheaf is improving.

Just my view. We have a squad which is strong in some areas and weak in others. We are light in midfield at the moment, that may change as players develop.

The Philosopher

5 players for 1xAM spot (Palmer Ohare Ayari Saka Allen)
3 players for 2xDM spots (Sheaf Eccles Kelly)

I know its not as easy as "just getting a body in" but MR clearly wants to play 2 up top and the imbalance is glaring

And if someone trots out Lati at DM for the 1856746th time Im gonna jump out a window!

Lati drops in there, now a new Kitching has been fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.gif
    IMG_0308.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

edgy

Happy days.

I was just answering the extreme case mentioned. Which is backed up by Robins starting his comment "Well, potentially". You know, that bit not highlighted.

napolimp

Happy days.

I was just answering the extreme case mentioned. Which is backed up by Robins starting his comment "Well, potentially". You know, that bit not highlighted.

Extreme case? You think 2 of the 3 CDM's we have available being injured is an extreme case? Doesn't even have to be an injury, they could just have a knock or generally be tired. I'd say even when we had all 3 of our CAM's out last season (barring Maguire), it was hardly an extreme case, O'hare was long term and Palmer was notoriously unfit. At least in that situation we had midfield cover.

edgy

Extreme case? You think 2 of the 3 CDM's we have available being injured is an extreme case? Doesn't even have to be an injury, they could just have a knock or generally be tired.

I'm not here for a scrap pal. Yes, I personally think we'd be extremely unlucky to have 2 out of our 3 out and out CDMs injured at the same time.

Good news to have Allen back soon too. He has played a deeper role quite well previously.

napolimp

I'm not here for a scrap pal. Yes, I personally think we'd be extremely unlucky to have 2 out of our 3 out and out CDMs injured at the same time.

Good news to have Allen back soon too. He has played a deeper role quite well previously.

See extended edited reply above. I don't mind Allen as an option, but there have been times where he has been a liability that deep.

edgy

See extended edited reply above. I don't mind Allen as an option, but there have been times where he has been a liability that deep.

I personally think he is limited at this level anywhere positionally but for me his best games were in the deeper role alongside Hamer (i know, i know). He has great energy levels which leads him to good harrier and also helps us break quickly after a turnover. Only opinion anyway, appreacite it may stink to some!

shmmeee

In extreme circumstances I’d expect us to go to the box or a 3511 to help out if we lost two DMs

Evo1883

I don't agree with all of that I'm afraid. The negativity towards Eccles, Allen, and Palmer is causing Sheaf to get exaggerated. He can't go forward. The last two games he's wasted some of our best chances and when he's not in a high attacking midfield position he frequently loses possession by playing long balls that don't reach their target. Somehow a lot of his greatest fans appear to have gone to buy hotdogs every time this happens.

He's strong in the DM position generally, and does make some great challenges at times, but even there he switches off and has been partially to blame for a few goals this season. People were quick to blame Thomas for their second today, but Sheaf absolutely flapped putting any kind of challenge in too.

People don't want to hear it, but in general we need an upgrade across the whole midfield. To answer the OP, yes we do have a problem. None of them are an exception. Before today Eccles was our best midfielder this season, and whilst I like him, we need someone more in the Hamer mould if we are going to reach the next level. The rest of the pitch I feel will grow into it, but in the middle I think we are crying out for more quality.
We won't get much better at this level than Ben sheaf in the holding role

I agree some fans tend to overlook his mistakes etc , but in general his performances have been very good for some time now

Matt smith

We won't get much better at this level than Ben sheaf in the holding role

I agree some fans tend to overlook his mistakes etc , but in general his performances have been very good for some time now
We’re missing an out and out 8

we have lots of 6’s lots of 10’s and nothing really in between.

although not his biggest fan, we do miss Allen in that sense

TomRad85

3efffbc0ae1a819dffe43638ad21be5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

skybluecam

Does anyone have more info on the targets we were looking at in midfield and why we didn’t get them?

The only substantial rumour I am aware of was Swift on deadline day that couldn’t be done without West Brom paying off some of his contract.

Legia Sky Blue

Welcome to the Football Manager world where a computer game trumps reality! It appears MR was interested in O'Brien but he went to Middlesbrough. He would clearly have made it into our first XI but aside from him he clearly wasn't prepared to spend on the other midfielders that were available pre deadline, probably because whoever he brought in wouldn't necessarily start ahead of Eccles, Sheaf, Ayari, Palmer, or O'Hare and Allen when they're fit.

I find the dismissal of Eccles (and Sheaf by some) quite astounding. If MR rates him and prefers to play them ahead of these free agent fancy dans that are good on FM, then I am happy to trust his judgement over and above the likes of bedwetters like Saddlebrains and Matt Smith.

BlueSkiesForever

I find the dismissal of Eccles (and Sheaf by some) quite astounding. If MR rates him and prefers to play them ahead of these free agent fancy dans that are good on FM, then I am happy to trust his judgement over and above the likes of bedwetters like Saddlebrains and Matt Smith.
It’s obviously good to have faith in the manager, and I hope that I’m speaking for all of us when I say that I will back Robins this season no matter what as he’s clearly capable of taking a team into the Prem (penalties is out of his hands in my eyes).
However I think it’s also perfectly acceptable to say that he doesn’t get everything right, everyone has flaws and I personally think his liking of Eccles is a bit misguided. Not saying he’s awful but it would be good to explore other options with regards to using other players in the defensive CM position.
(Also think that people who are maybe just thinking outside of the box shouldn’t be called “bedwetters” but obvs just all opinion so none of it matters really 🤣)

skybluecam

I don’t think it’s that astounding. We’ve seen enough of Eccles to judge now, and to me it seems clear he doesn’t (yet) have the technical or tactical attributes to push us into the top 6.

Matt smith

Welcome to the Football Manager world where a computer game trumps reality! It appears MR was interested in O'Brien but he went to Middlesbrough. He would clearly have made it into our first XI but aside from him he clearly wasn't prepared to spend on the other midfielders that were available pre deadline, probably because whoever he brought in wouldn't necessarily start ahead of Eccles, Sheaf, Ayari, Palmer, or O'Hare and Allen when they're fit.

I’m not dismissing sheaf and Eccles at all.

Eccles is a good squad player, but him and sheaf are too similar.

Quite clear robins agrees with us on the dynamic of the midfield otherwise he wouldn’t have been after one would he

fatso

H
I’m not dismissing sheaf and Eccles at all.

Eccles is a good squad player, but him and sheaf are too similar.

Quite clear robins agrees with us on the dynamic of the midfield otherwise he wouldn’t have been after one would he
Maybe he was after one to play WITH Sheaf and Eccles, not instead of them.

And we already have 8 midfielders competing for 3 positions as it is.

And FYI, no one was complaining about Sheaf and Eccles when we had Hamer in the side.

Oh, And another thing, how many games have we lost since Hamer left???

Matt smith

H

Maybe he was after one to play WITH Sheaf and Eccles, not instead of them.

And we already have 8 midfielders competing for 3 positions as it is.

And FYI, no one was complaining about Sheaf and Eccles when we had Hamer in the side.

Oh, And another thing, how many games have we lost since Hamer left???
That’s the point though, without a hamer type the balance isn’t what it should be.

PVA

I don’t think it’s that astounding. We’ve seen enough of Eccles to judge now, and to me it seems clear he doesn’t (yet) have the technical or tactical attributes to push us into the top 6.

Did you only start supporting us this season?

Legia Sky Blue

That’s the point though, without a hamer type the balance isn’t what it should be.

What is a Hamer type though? There is simply not a straightforward replacement for him, and I don't think MR was prepared to just bring another midfielder in to make up the numbers when we already have so many midfielders. It looks like we were interested in O'Brien and Swift to some extent who would have likely been starters, so fair enough, but having missed out on them I don't see the point in spending money on players that MR believes are not better than what we already have.

Legia Sky Blue

In respect of balance, the whole team is in a transformation period at the moment given the introduction of so many new players, so I would expect that to improve as we move forward. Bringing in another midfielder might have exacerbated that even further for a while! I suspect a fit O'Hare will also improve the overall shape of the team anyway.

Matt smith

In respect of balance, the whole team is in a transformation period at the moment given the introduction of so many new players, so I would expect that to improve as we move forward. Bringing in another midfielder might have exacerbated that even further for a while! I suspect a fit O'Hare will also improve the overall shape of the team anyway.
Agreed on O Hare

and agree on your hamer point he was pretty unique

StrettoBoy

I think O'Hare is as close as we are likely to get to a replacement for Hamer, at least in the short-term.

Obviously he isn't the same - few are - but he does have some creative attributes which will blend well with Sheaf and/or Eccles.

When Allen and O'Hare are fit I think we have some decent midfield options.

clint van damme

I think he's bought in Ayari to play the Gus role but obviously it's dependant on how long it's going take to get him up to speed, from what I've seen so far, I'd say a while.

I'd also imagine the club had a more permanent solution in mind but couldn't get it over the line.

The other point which a lot of people are missing that I keep mentioning is although Hamer was still a very good player this time last year he was miles away from the player he became in the final 3rd of the season so what's to say someone else in the squad doesn't emerge like he did? Admittedly I can't see anyone getting to that level but players playing to that level in the championship are rare.

fatso

We will get there, O'hare back in a few weeks, and others to settle in.

Palmer was excellent Saturday, just needs to add the goals to his game.

I think Wright has done enough to be a permanent starter ahead of Simms, and when the team is settled the partnerships will develop.

Ayari showed some great touches, and will be good once he understands what MR wants from him.

clint van damme

We will get there, O'hare back in a few weeks, and others to settle in.

Palmer was excellent Saturday, just needs to add the goals to his game.

I think Wright has done enough to be a permanent starter ahead of Simms, and when the team is settled the partnerships will develop.

Ayari showed some great touches, and will be good once he understands what MR wants from him.

Watching O'Hare play is going to be more nerve wracking than the play off penalty shoot out.
Everything he goes near the ball will be heart in mouth time.

fatso

Watching O'Hare play is going to be more nerve wracking than the play off penalty shoot out.
Everything he goes near the ball will be heart in mouth time.
Agreed, I hope he's recovered mentally as well as physically, and can get back to the player he was before the injury.

The first 50:50 tackle will tell us a lot

Users who are viewing this thread