Out of contract National league strikers. (1 Viewer)

steve82

The telegraph have had a bad 24hrs so I'll help them out with there next story!!
5 national league strikers Mark Robins maybe interested in who are out of contract and have shown some promise in front of goal this year...
Simon this ones on me, ps I wasn't that great at English at school so feel free to spell check and sort any grammar issues.
Seriously some are worth a look.

Micheal cheek, 25 Braintree Town
19 in 44 league games, 15 in 40 15/16 season
Michael Cheek - Performance data 16/17 | Transfermarkt
Byron Harrison, 29 Barrow
19 league goals in 30 games
Byron Harrison - Performance data 16/17 | Transfermarkt
Danny Johnson, 24 Gateshead
18 league goals in 38 games.
Danny Johnson - Performance data 16/17 | Transfermarkt
Gozie Ugwu, 24 Woking
17 league goals in 43 games
Gozie Ugwu - Performance data 16/17 | Transfermarkt
James Alabi, 22 Chester
17 league goals in 42 games
James Alabi - Performance data 16/17 | Transfermarkt

Last edited:

skybluecam

Alabi used to play for Stoke. Was a decently rated youngster I think. I remember signing him for cov in football manager a few years ago. Pretty physical as well.

None of these have outstanding goal records. Not sure I'd take any of them. Anyone know if any of them have any outstanding attributes? Pace/height etc.

If we want to go up next season we must have a 20+ goal striker and we haven't got one in the squad at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

These are the sort of players we should be looking at - good conference players who will be absolutely chomping at the bit to make it professionally and prove themselves at a higher level.

I'd much prefer a hungry player on their way up, than a past it player or failure with an attitude on their way down. There is room for a few of the latter, but the correct attitude and behaviours are essential.

skybluecam

These are the sort of players we should be looking at - good conference players who will be absolutely chomping at the bit to make it professionally and prove themselves at a higher level.

I'd much prefer a hungry player on their way up, than a past it player or failure with an attitude on their way down. There is room for a few of the latter, but the correct attitude and behaviours are essential.
Absolutely agree. We need to bring someone in who scored goals last season and is under 27. Just not sure these are the right ones.

steve82

A few of these have been released from the likes of reading ,stoke, Ipswich and filtered down the system and seem to have the hunger and ability to come back stronger.

James Alabi seems a powerful quick player with a good height/size about him. Chester have offered him a new deal but looks to be looking at his options. Chester rejected a derisory bid from Barnet on January and several scouts have been watching. Highly likely to be in the football league next year.

Byron Harrison looks more a target man who scores his share of headers and penalties.

Gozie ugwu looks to have good movement and good footwork and scores plenty with his head. He will get a league club this summer.

Astute

I have mentioned Harrison on here before. I work with Barrow supporters. Heard he had personal problems which he is finally over. Very strong and knows where the goal is. Would be happy if we gave him a chance. 19 goals in 30 games in the division below where we are now at.

steve82

I have mentioned Harrison on here before. I work with Barrow supporters. Heard he had personal problems which he is finally over. Very strong and knows where the goal is. Would be happy if we gave him a chance. 19 goals in 30 games in the division below where we are now at.

19 in 30 is a good rate, worth a look if hed consider relocating or commuting to Coventry. These are the factors that will come into play a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astute

19 in 30 is a good rate, worth a look if hed consider relocating or commuting to Coventry. These are the factors that will come into play a lot.

He has played all over the country. AFC Wimbledon is one of his ex clubs IIRC. Non league in front of 2k or Coventry City?

steve82

Our budget will not cover these players we can't afford them.thanks sisu.
Think your being a bit over the top... a player at barrow who is out of contract is very much in our price range.

He has played all over the country. AFC Wimbledon is one of his ex clubs IIRC. Non league in front of 2k or Coventry City?
Yes, chesterfield, Stevenage... quite a range. These type of players are worth exploring. A hungry mix of players who can play and revert to plan b... route one in winter.

mark82

This is pretty much exactly what we need to be doing, picking off the best players from league 2 and non league.

Sky Blue Harry H

I agree with what has been said, but we had better get in early to get hold of them. Also hoping that our 'network' is operating effectively (don't laugh), otherwise we may end up kissing a few proverbial frogs before our prince comes along.

steve82

Peterborough been chasing him since January. Sensible move for him Peterborough have a long history of making these players from non league.
I admire there policy of transfer listing anyone who only has 12 months left on their contract.

steve82

I think we'd have Harries, Jones and Stevenson left if we did that.

Pretty much, however there business model is greatly different to ours. Suppose we can only dream of there business model at this moment in time.
How many millions have they made on signings alone from non league football, I say non league the national league (div 5) is mostly full time now.

steve82

yep, they appear to have one

A workable one that's benefited the club and players over the years with success along the way at times all be it a league one/championship yoyo club.

mark82

Gutted about this , I would of liked us to get him and out of contract

Was always going to go above league 2. He's a Peterborough lad too.

There are other prolific scorers in non league but they are always a bit of a punt. Never sure if they can make the step up. We should at least be shopping around non league and suspect that is why we've brought someone from non league to handle recruitment.

mark82

Michael Cheek would be an interesting option. Scored consistently over the last couple of years in a team that has struggled. Looks like he is a local lad - born in Nuneaton. At 25 he is still young enough to be able to make a career in the football league. Worth a punt on a free.

The other guy I'd go for in non league is at Barwell. Young midfielder called Brady Hickey. Scored 23 goals this season from midfield - whatever level you're at that's impressive. Has had trials a few places in the past but not been taken up. Another that is maybe worth a low cost punt.

Gazolba

We could always try to get McBean back. I think he'd be good in League 2. I'm not sure Robins ever saw him though.

Sky Blue Harry H

We could always try to get McBean back. I think he'd be good in League 2. I'm not sure Robins ever saw him though.

Interesting call.Rough and ready type - you'd imagine he may be a handful in that league

Sky Blue Harry H

See Marcus Maddison (P'boro) is on that list. 12mths left on contract = fee. Suspect others will chase him, or he will re-sign for them . good player at that level, although we gave him dog's abuse at the Ricoh!!

eastwoodsdustman

Michael Cheek would be an interesting option. Scored consistently over the last couple of years in a team that has struggled. Looks like he is a local lad - born in Nuneaton. At 25 he is still young enough to be able to make a career in the football league. Worth a punt on a free.

The other guy I'd go for in non league is at Barwell. Young midfielder called Brady Hickey. Scored 23 goals this season from midfield - whatever level you're at that's impressive. Has had trials a few places in the past but not been taken up. Another that is maybe worth a low cost punt.

Robbins has been and watched Barwell recently. Think he went to their game just after our relegation was confirmed.

mark82

Saw Dave Tarpey mentioned on another thread, he would certainly be worth a shot too. 37 goals in the Conference South. He's 28 years old so that probably reduces his market a little but would be stunned if he didn't pop up in the Football League somewhere. The guy is a natural finisher (many YouTube videos out there). Spent his career round non-league so official stats are a bit thin on the ground prior to his spell at Maidenhead but believe he's a converted midfielder/winger so return previously may have been more modest.

Our new head of recruitment is from Eastbourne who play in the same division so should be well aware of Tarpey.

eastwoodsdustman

Interesting - maybe he fancies bringing Callum Ball back. ;-)

That's the one they reckon it is. He's still overweight but apparently a class above that standard.
Bottom line is though, if he still cant lose weight after being pushed out of the football league then he must have a problem with his off field discipline.

Astute

There are other prolific scorers in non league but they are always a bit of a punt. Never sure if they can make the step up.
But we are only one level off non league clubs now so not a massive punt.

ptr

Robbins has been and watched Barwell recently. Think he went to their game just after our relegation was confirmed.

He was watching Brady Hickey, 21 years of age and their captain. Been linked with a lot of clubs in the past - contract up this summer.

SlowerThanPlatt

He was watching Brady Hickey, 21 years of age and their captain. Been linked with a lot of clubs in the past - contract up this summer.

Is that right? I've heard about this lad and seen him play a few times in the past. Would be an astute signing at League 2 level

Users who are viewing this thread