PC Build Help (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Looking to get my 7 year old a desktop PC for Christmas. She’s asked for one for stuff like Sims, Fortnite, Roblox, but will probably want to get better games in future. I want her to move off the iPad and onto a proper computer for the educational value.

I’ve not built a PC in well over 15 years having been a Mac user or using work laptops. So while I know my way around, I have no idea what the current state of the market is.

I know we’ve got some PC gamers on here Can someone point me in the right direction for some components?

Requirements:

- Cheap as possible without compromising on expandability
- Some level of future proofing
- Enough to play basic games and get the full PC experience in case she wants to dabble in basic video editing or programming. Or at least where if she wants to do something more I’m just replacing a component not rebuilding the entire machine

Plan is to wall mount the components without a case or a transparent case and get flashy LED fans and cables and all that jazz to make the build interesting. But no idea where to start on the important bits like cpu/gpu/motherboard.

shmmeee

Nothing less than a 4090 will do.

giphy.gif

JAM See

Looking to get my 7 year old a desktop PC for Christmas. She’s asked for one for stuff like Sims, Fortnite, Roblox, but will probably want to get better games in future. I want her to move off the iPad and onto a proper computer for the educational value.

I’ve not built a PC in well over 15 years having been a Mac user or using work laptops. So while I know my way around, I have no idea what the current state of the market is.

I know we’ve got some PC gamers on here Can someone point me in the right direction for some components?

Requirements:

- Enough to play basic games and get the full PC experience in case she wants to dabble in basic video editing or programming. Or at least where if she wants to do something more I’m just replacing a component not rebuilding the entire machine

Plan is to wall mount the components without a case or a transparent case and get flashy LED fans and cables and all that jazz to make the build interesting. But no idea where to start on the important bits like cpu/gpu/motherboard.
Been a while since I dabbled in desktops, but from memory, dust is a major problem.

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'wall mount', but if you mean exposed to the house environment, that was always a no-no back in the day.

Evo1883

Id like to come in less than £500 if that’s possible.

In todays market its practically impossible mate I'd say , unless you buy second hand .

The problem you have is when you ask to futureproof it too , it's nion impossible in the price range.

How do you feel about pay monthly ?

olderskyblue

Id like to come in less than £500 if that’s possible.
For that, you could get one that’s upgradable….. to a 2010 spec….

shmmeee

In todays market its practically impossible mate I'd say , unless you buy second hand .

The problem you have is when you ask to futureproof it too , it's nion impossible in the price range.

How do you feel about pay monthly ?

I could go higher, always the chance to roll her Birthday in Feb in as well.

Can you seriously not buy a machine for shitty games for sub £500? No monitors or KB or case, just components.

JAM See

Requirements:

Have thought about this and realised I took a similar route a few years ago.

If you're really interested in getting a seven year old into the nuts and bolts of computing, and only bothered about relatively low end games, have you considered a Raspberry PI.

Hook it up to Arduino and the possibilities are endless.

shmmeee

Have thought about this and realised I took a similar route a few years ago.

If you're really interested in getting a seven year old into the nuts and bolts of computing, and only bothered about relatively low end games, have you considered a Raspberry PI.

Hook it up to Arduino and the possibilities are endless.

It has to play Fortnite and Roblox othewise I would. I’ve got a couple of pis lying around.

dutchman

It has to play Fortnite and Roblox othewise I would. I’ve got a couple of pis lying around.
You could build a PC with integrated graphics which will play basic online games like Fortnite and Roblox and add a dedicated graphics card later for more demanding titles when funds allow. Roblox will run on any Intel CPU with HD3000 graphics or higher, Fortnite demands HD4000 or its AMD equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread