Penalties (1 Viewer)

Old Warwickshire lad

Dont want to start an uproar,or get cyber warriors threats, just a reasonable discussion .
Both our penalty takers (Godden, Waghorn ? ) seem to be out for a while.
While I admire Vik for stepping up and taking it Tuesday, it really wasn’t a good spot kick.
Down the middle,and not struck to well.
We know he doesn’t strike the ball cleanly on a regular basis.
Now maybe he saw the keeper going to where he was going to put it, and did a last second change and just stroked it down the middle. But I am not so sure.
So who else we got? Hamer, Shieff, Bidwell?
Not knocking Vik, just Interested in what others think.

Gint11

I always want strikers first. They are supposed to be the ones in the team that can finish.

Bugsy

Step up B.Wilson, smash that stanchion son.

PVA

Probably would prefer Hamer I guess but Gyokeres deserves to take them now until he misses one.

ceetee

I don't mind hitting them straight because mostly a keeper will dive, but it's risky and he was lucky as it was too low and nearly hit the GKs trailing leg.

steve cooper

I doubt if vik has practised penalties much as he is well down the order, especially after the one he missed against Barnsley last season.
He will be OK with a bit of practice.

edgy

Little confidence in Vik taking pens. He doesn't appear confident with them either.

Always suprises me Hamer isn't grabbing the ball.

skyblueelephant76

Dont want to start an uproar,or get cyber warriors threats, just a reasonable discussion .
Both our penalty takers (Godden, Waghorn ? ) seem to be out for a while.
While I admire Vik for stepping up and taking it Tuesday, it really wasn’t a good spot kick.
Down the middle,and not struck to well.
We know he doesn’t strike the ball cleanly on a regular basis.
Now maybe he saw the keeper going to where he was going to put it, and did a last second change and just stroked it down the middle. But I am not so sure.
So who else we got? Hamer, Shieff, Bidwell?
Not knocking Vik, just Interested in what others think.
He waited for the keeper to move then put it down the middle. He knows the goalkeeper from the Sweden youth squads so it was all mind games.

It was a pressure penalty in injury time to rescue a point and he scored - he'll be taking the next one whilst the others are out.

rob9872

Lot of pressure on that one Tuesday. Last minute, losing and missed the one v Barnsley that cost us. If it went wrong confidence could have been shattered. I imagine that will give him a big boost, especially on limited chances as a lone striker, so I'd stick with him now.

More interestingly for me is that we're actually getting some now, that's 3 this season. We some terrible decisions not given last season after Goddens dive, almost a collective that we weren't getting anything all season thereafter.

Fwiw I also thought the decision on Tuesday was another soft one and would've been disappointed if that had gone against us at 2-1 up last minute. Nice yo see us getting a few important decisions lately, we're long overdue.

edgy

He clearly meant to chip it down the middle. But didnt get the lift he intended to. Would be very unwise technique to "pass" the ball centrally, if you are expecting the GK to dive. Far more chance of it hitting his legs.

It wasn't a good pen. But he scored and I suppose that's all that counts.

and it was 100% a penalty, no question about it.

Marty

Hamer, Bidwell, Panzo and Doyle would be ahead of Gyokeres. Tbf most of the squad strike it cleaner then Vik.

lord_garrincha

Off tangent, but the strangest one was Dion. He had been here for a few years until he stepped up against Man Utd. Kept going the same way, then Bramall Lane happened, then went the other way.

Guessing it's Gyok until he misses... which won't be long if he takes them like the previous 2!

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

So basically go down the middle if you’re a coward. More likely to be saved but unlikely to miss or hit the post so you can blame the keeper.
Fairly sure there is a stat (that I hope someone can find for me) that is something like "A keeper will dive 98% of the time after the 80th minute". I have made the numbers up but it's a very high %. I think it was in Inverting the Pyramid or another of Jonathan Wilson's books. I know a keeper can still save it with their feet in that instance but there is a statistical basis saying going down the middle is the best bet late in a game.

Bugsy

He will miss the next one as I'm sure he has put the last two down the middle.

nothing like having some optimism and faith for our players who we support...PUSB

coop

nothing like having some optimism and faith for our players who we support...PUSB
Hope he scores everyone but Just think he doesn't look confident when taking them and Tuesday even when the keeper dived he got his foot to it.I will back him all the way he has probably practiced them this week as our two normal penalty takers are injured.

Old Warwickshire lad

Hope he scores everyone but Just think he doesn't look confident when taking them and Tuesday even when the keeper dived he got his foot to it.I will back him all the way he has probably practiced them this week as our two normal penalty takers are injured.
Feel the same, hope he has done some serious practicing this week.

Alkhen

Get Vik on extra pen training. Can't be that hard to coach atleast the technical side. Tuesdays was a a poor effort that trickled in, you can't reproduce the pressure but I'm sure you can help him hit it cleaner

Users who are viewing this thread