PH4 to buy Ricoh (1 Viewer)

jesus-wept

He should buy it, and do a deal with Walsall or who ever to have a camera beem the game live to the Ricoh :)
Now that would be a good idea, just imagine getting 5000 at the Ricoh for a home game at Walsall with a few hundred there costing sisu bundles whilst a rival makes a few bob, wouldn't that piss them off.

torchomatic

Well wasn't particularly thinking football, Torch. Any sport.

Well, football is the biggest crowd puller. No other sports could match it. Certainly not Cov rugby and if another rugby team came in then it would be breathtaking hypocrisy as that is what we are sll complaining SISU are doing to us.

I cant see how the Ricoh could survive without CCFC.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Well, football is the biggest crowd puller. No other sports could match it. Certainly not Cov rugby and if another rugby team came in then it would be breathtaking hypocrisy as that is what we are sll complaining SISU are doing to us.

You can't but the auditor - signing off ACL's accounts - did. You can carry this one on as long as you wish, but qualified professionals would appear to disagree with you Torchy

duffer

I think I'd broadly agree with Torchy here - I don't think the Ricoh survives as a sports arena in the long term without a football club to play in it. Cov RFC wouldn't want to move, imho - they've got a terrific set up that is well-aligned with the crowds they get. Bit like CCFC used to have at HR. ;)

And Northampton & Leicester RFC already have well established stadiums, as I recall.

But that doesn't mean that ACL couldn't use the land for something else that could generate either a substantial one off and/or ongoing profit.

As an aside, CCFC could learn a lot from Cov RFC in how they treat their supporters. And if the Ricoh used the same quality of bar staff as the Rugby club, then they'd sell a lot more beer. This is a subject that is truly close to my heart. :)

torchomatic

I'm sure the "qualified professionals" will disagree with me.

Putting aside the SISU/ACL stuff for one moment, I'm amazed that anyone really can see a future for a football stadium without a permanent football tenant. And, as I pointed out, I'm sure you and others wouldn't agree with another team being drafted in as they wouldn't be from Coventry; just a franchise outfit, which people strongly object to with SISU - and rightly so. I cannot think anything that would bring the money in on a regular basis like we do. No amount of wedding fayres, Jehovah witness conventions or Psychic Sally events would come anywhere near. People go on about concerts, but there have apparently been a lot of complaints about the Bruce Springsteen concerts. Someone who I work with here went and said the sound of atrocious and she's not going again - too much echo apparently. Then there's the Olympics. Brilliant for the City but a one-off. Same with the Davis Cup. Great feather in the stadium's cap, but didn't ACL subsidise the event? They've lost out to Villa Park for the Rugby World Cup. Saying "we don't need 'em" is whistling in the dark as far as I'm concerned.

I don't want the Ricoh to fail, I just don't believe the bluster that they don't need us. And I think everyone - well apart from a few on here - knows that.

I'm sure come August we'll still be here and I hope for the sake of our football club's future we will be. More importantly I think ACL and Compass desperately want us to be there too.

You can't but the auditor - signing off ACL's accounts - did. You can carry this one on as long as you wish, but qualified professionals would appear to disagree with you Torchy

corniepaste

I think I'd broadly agree with Torchy here - I don't think the Ricoh survives as a sports arena in the long term without a football club to play in it. Cov RFC wouldn't want to move, imho - they've got a terrific set up that is well-aligned with the crowds they get. Bit like CCFC used to have at HR. ;)

And Northampton & Leicester RFC already have well established stadiums, as I recall.

But that doesn't mean that ACL couldn't use the land for something else that could generate either a substantial one off and/or ongoing profit.

As an aside, CCFC could learn a lot from Cov RFC in how they treat their supporters. And if the Ricoh used the same quality of bar staff as the Rugby club, then they'd sell a lot more beer. This is a subject that is truly close to my heart. :)

Absolutely agree, my dads pub drinking mate is one of the board for Coventry rugby club and he would agree with you that they like the rugby clubs setup as it is and wouldn't jeopardise it.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I wonder how much rent PH4 will want to charge whichever 3rd rate sports team plays there?

Apparently, according to some, its a world class stadium (not me...I fucking hate the place)....so I guess he'll probably set the rent around £1.25m per year & sell the F&B rights to a multi-national facilities company......

Good luck with that.:wave:

corniepaste

I think the problem with the Ricoh is not that it is a quality stadium with all the amenities, but that it has crap access compared to HR and that is why most people shun it. Timmy's need to move further away will create the same effect at a new stadium if its further away again. I was pissed for having to move to the Ricoh but with better access that place would have had better attendencies.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I'm sure the "qualified professionals" will disagree with me.

Putting aside the SISU/ACL stuff for one moment, I'm amazed that anyone really can see a future for a football stadium without a permanent football tenant. And, as I pointed out, I'm sure you and others wouldn't agree with another team being drafted in as they wouldn't be from Coventry; just a franchise outfit, which people strongly object to with SISU - and rightly so. I cannot think anything that would bring the money in on a regular basis like we do. No amount of wedding fayres, Jehovah witness conventions or Psychic Sally events would come anywhere near. People go on about concerts, but there have apparently been a lot of complaints about the Bruce Springsteen concerts. Someone who I work with here went and said the sound of atrocious and she's not going again - too much echo apparently. Then there's the Olympics. Brilliant for the City but a one-off. Same with the Davis Cup. Great feather in the stadium's cap, but didn't ACL subsidise the event? They've lost out to Villa Park for the Rugby World Cup. Saying "we don't need 'em" is whistling in the dark as far as I'm concerned.

I don't want the Ricoh to fail, I just don't believe the bluster that they don't need us. And I think everyone - well apart from a few on here - knows that.

I'm sure come August we'll still be here and I hope for the sake of our football club's future we will be. More importantly I think ACL and Compass desperately want us to be there too.

Again, I don't largely disagree with you. It could be argued with less focus on the football, ACL could continue to diversify and make a borderline CCFC-less business work.

However, it is borderline, and they do have some reserves to fall back upon if there was a shortfall in their income. They do have other incomes that will help them through any transition.

But I'm going to come back to the same point again, the medium term future for ACL without the club is borderline. The medium term prognosis for CCFC away from the Ricoh is a disaster. Absolute disaster.

And what I do not think is good enough is when some folk take too much time focussing on ACL's business plan; without equal condemnation, nor comment with regards how the football team - and this is what it's all meant to be about - will be killed by moving it to Walsall for three seasons or more

fernandopartridge

Again, I don't largely disagree with you. It could be argued with less focus on the football, ACL could continue to diversify and make a borderline CCFC-less business work.

However, it is borderline, and they do have some reserves to fall back upon if there was a shortfall in their income. They do have other incomes that will help them through any transition.

But I'm going to come back to the same point again, the medium term future for ACL without the club is borderline. The medium term prognosis for CCFC away from the Ricoh is a disaster. Absolute disaster.

And what I do not think is good enough is when some folk take too much time focussing on ACL's business plan; without equal condemnation, nor comment with regards how the football team - and this is what it's all meant to be about - will be killed by moving it to Walsall for three seasons or more

Diversify into what?

duffer

Diversify into what?

Without the club needing the ground, they could diversify into whatever business or development best suited the site. Hotels, retail, warehousing, more exhibition space, housing or anything else that would turn a profit.

If you looked at it from solely a cold, hard business perspective I suspect there's probably more money to be made from the site if there isn't a football club hogging all of the space!

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Diversify into what?

As before, not for me to comment. If you try, people simply shoot it down. I know it's seasonal, but more concerts would be a start.

Again, the bigger debate should on on the health of the football cub away from the Ricoh, as opposed to how ACL will fare without football.

We're all interested in the football team, aren't we?

RPHunt

Putting aside the SISU/ACL stuff for one moment, I'm amazed that anyone really can see a future for a football stadium without a permanent football tenant.

And I am amazed that anyone can see a future for a football team without a stadium, but you seem to be fixated with ACL and their perceived problems.

Wake up, the real problem is SISU's attitude to anyone who stands in the way of their attempt to gouge money out of owning the club. That means you, me, the other fans and ACL.

torchomatic

Mmm...I don't think Ricoh paid £10M for naming rights to a warehouse. I can see your point and that of MMM, and while I agree that SISU moving the club to Walsall - or wherever - is a disaster I think the Ricoh without Coventry City is the same. That is why it's more important than ever that this all gets sorted out.

Without the club needing the ground, they could diversify into whatever business or development best suited the site. Hotels, retail, warehousing, more exhibition space, housing or anything else that would turn a profit.

If you looked at it from solely a cold, hard business perspective I suspect there's probably more money to be made from the site if there isn't a football club hogging all of the space!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Means nothing unless SISU want to sell, Haskell isn't going to risk buying a share in the Ricoh and then not being able to deal with SISU and ending up with an empty stadium.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Mmm...I don't think Ricoh paid £10M for naming rights to a warehouse. I can see your point and that of MMM, and while I agree that SISU moving the club to Walsall - or wherever - is a disaster I think the Ricoh without Coventry City is the same. That is why it's more important than ever that this all gets sorted out.

The flip-side of that Torchy is that just because the Ricoh deal is worth £1m a season right now; it doesn't mean that Fisher can assert that with our own stadium, that £1m 'could be ours'.

The Ricoh sponsorship deal would see value in the football club; sure, but also in the venue's use as a concert venue and exhibition hall. Not to mention passing trade. I'm sure I've read that 50m cars use the M6 per annum, from where the Ricoh name is clearly visible on a prestige building. To give you a context, my business advertises on the large LED advertising boards by the RAC building by Walsall, and that works out at £30K per annum for 10 seconds in every 60.So, what value your name in 20 foot letters 24:7:365?

The value Ricoh paid for the use of the facility is a compound of the attractiveness of the venue as a football location, concert and exhibition location, and it's public visibility. Plus occasional high-profile events such as the Davis Cup, Olympics, rugby, etc.

Just as it would be naive for ACL to think they'd still get £1m per season without CCFC; it's equally naive of Fisher to think he's get £1m per season, for a facility shorn of the peripheral attractiveness, in the middle of Brandon, and perhaps playing to 4th tier dwindled crowds by that point.

Indeed, he could take the current figure and divide it by ten, in my humble view. By means of example the naming rights for Colchester's Weston Homes Community Stadium were sold for a value of up to £2m for 10 years; so that's a sum south of £200K per season

Last edited:

cloughie

As before, not for me to comment. If you try, people simply shoot it down. I know it's seasonal, but more concerts would be a start.

Again, the bigger debate should on on the health of the football cub away from the Ricoh, as opposed to how ACL will fare without football.

We're all interested in the football team, aren't we?

Yes we all are, Sisu aren't

fernandopartridge

Believe me or not. I'm not going to say whom or where, but I actually spoke to a very good friend of Joe Elliot on Saturday who showed me a text from the man himself, saying that Preston is not quite ready to go away and watch this space!!

Yeah, the first holiday as a couple of always a bit of a risk isn't it.

sky blue john

With 70 million of debts its a disaster even if we stay at the ricoh a lot of our fans seem to be ignoring this fact because it doesn't suit their argument !!!!
The club is screwed the amount sisu will be charging ccfc in interest and fees will make any past rental agreements seem like pocket change !!!!

If SISU insist on their ridiculous road to ruin why shouldn't PH4 give them a little push. So PH4 buys the Ricoh (or part of) that means SISU either have to;

1. Negotiate with PH4 to play at the Ricoh.
2. Actually fund a new stadium (no chance)
3. Sell to PH4 (that is my favourite)

@richh87

If SISU insist on their ridiculous road to ruin why shouldn't PH4 give them a little push. So PH4 buys the Ricoh (or part of) that means SISU either have to;

Yes, I like no.3 also

fernandopartridge

it doesn't solve any problems, they wouldn't sell to phv now and won't in the future

Samo

If PH4 buys ACL it will have a lot of financial clout behind it and will be much better equiped to win the forthcoming game of who can outlast the other.

chilled

If PH4 buys ACL it will have a lot of financial clout behind it and will be much better equiped to win the forthcoming game of who can outlast the other.
what about the scenario I put forward the other week .... they start again with new co team at the bottom of the league ....
That leaves sizu ...stumped
They either knock down the door of ph4 .. to do a deal ....or ...
Watch new co skate up the league's ...and see they're investments go down the plug hole ???

@richh87

what about the scenario I put forward the other week .... they start again with new co team at the bottom of the league ....
That leaves sizu ...stumped
They either knock down the door of ph4 .. to do a deal ....or ...
Watch new co skate up the league's ...and see they're investments go down the plug hole ???

The part of me that hates SISU would love to see this; however we would have to start very low down, and it would take several years to make it back to professional football.

All it would take is for SISU to bring back the real CCFC and it would all be for nothing.

If people want to do this then I'm right behind it. I'd love it to become a 2 team City as it creates a rivalry that generates interest and boosts attendances, but I don't see it happening.

stupot07

The part of me that hates SISU would love to see this; however we would have to start very low down, and it would take several years to make it back to professional football.

All it would take is for SISU to bring back the real CCFC and it would all be for nothing.

If people want to do this then I'm right behind it. I'd love it to become a 2 team City as it creates a rivalry that generates interest and boosts attendances, but I don't see it happening.

We haven't got enough fans for 1 team let alone 2.

Johnnythespider

More details have emerged about the bids and it is understood that Haskell’s offer would have given significant cash to Sisu up front and over time, related to successful promotions.
So how much did he offer them, how much is the club worth. Not a great deal in my opinion, also does anybody think Byng and his chinese were only in this to push up the price, given that after he showed up and criticised ACL and palled up to SISU Haskell had to submit another bid, i assume it was a better offer.

Users who are viewing this thread