Phil Hughes (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Feeling absolutely stunned by the tragic news. RIP. My thoughts go out to his friends and family, as well as the bowler Sean Abbott. Not sure who you can ever get over something like that.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/30219440

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

blueflint

shame i got hit once not nice but to die from it words can't express our feelings RIP

bringbackrattles

Tragic. I was hoping he'd pull through but sadly not.Feel sorry for the bowler but it just shows how dangerous sport can be at times.

Ashdown

I've been playing cricket for the last two summers again { Without helmet }................stunned by this and saddened, will not be taking risks myself anymore either although I know the ball caught him below his protection. Feel particularly for the bowler who will be messed up by this !

Terry Gibson's perm

I've been playing cricket for the last two summers again { Without helmet }................stunned by this and saddened, will not be taking risks myself anymore either although I know the ball caught him below his protection. Feel particularly for the bowler who will be messed up by this !

I went for years wearing no helmet until I was hit on the head, then about 5 years ago I faced probably the fastest ball I have ever faced and it was a beamer that hit me on the helmet bent all the grill into my face but stopped me having a serious injury. A helmet is worth every penny and i even wear one now for the slow bowlers.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Terribly tragic news. To go out and play the sport that you love and to essentially never go home again shouldn't happen to anyone let alone a 25 year old. My thoughts are with his loved ones, family and especially to young Sean Abbott who is going to require a severe support network to ever get over such a tragic accident. RIP Phil Hughes

jimmyhillsfanclub

It is shocking & tragic....

But lets remember he died doing what he loved......at least his family & friends have that as small comfort.

RIP.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Terrible news. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Gone too young RIP Phil Hughes

Also my thoughts go out to the guy who bowled the ball - I cannot imagine how he must be feeling poor guy

Covstu

25 is no age, gutted for his family and the poor bowler who must live with this for the rest of his life even though it was a total accident. There have already been calls for removing the wooden balls, redesigning helmets, removing certain types of deliveries etc. As unfortunate as it was, this is slightly over the top given the chances of a repeat occurance. You also compare the dangers of other sports such as boxing, motor sports, cycling etc and the risks dont even compare do they?

jimmyhillsfanclub

25 is no age, gutted for his family and the poor bowler who must live with this for the rest of his life even though it was a total accident. There have already been calls for removing the wooden balls, redesigning helmets, removing certain types of deliveries etc. As unfortunate as it was, this is slightly over the top given the chances of a repeat occurance. You also compare the dangers of other sports such as boxing, motor sports, cycling etc and the risks dont even compare do they?

Agree.....Cricket is not a dangerous game when compared to most other sports.....

Unfortunately, you'll always get the hysterical & over-the-top reactions calling for things to be changed or banned or whatever after a freak accident like this.....

and that's all it boils down to.....a freak accident.

RIP.

speedie87

Such a tragic accident.

I hope the sport of cricket doesn't make a kneejerk reaction and change the rules of the game that ban bounces though as I have seen mentioned a few times in the press these last couple of days.

Brighton Sky Blue

I play in Scotland on pretty damp wickets so very rare for the ball to make it above waist let alone head height but when it does happen you'll do well to get out of its way completely. The guy was just incredibly unlucky although that will offer no consolation to the bowler.

Covstu

Just heard on sky sports that this type of injury has occurred under 150 FULL STOP and only once with a cricket ball. Tragic but a freak accident sadly.

CJ_covblaze

Awful tragedy. Thoughts go out to his family and Abbott. Can't imagine how hard it will be to come back. Rossi and Edwards haven't been the same since we lost Simoncelli. Hope he manages to tackle his demons.

Users who are viewing this thread