Pistorius, what a joke ? (1 Viewer)

Ashdown

What can the steenkamp family be thinking, out on probation after 10 months of a 5 year sentence ?!

skybluetony176

Apparently in South Africa you can be considered for parole once you've served a fifth of your sentence. Should have had a longer sentence in the first place l would say.

kdrinkell

He still may serve 15 years if the supreme court find him guilty of murder when the review is up in November.

armybike

Just been sentenced to six years for murder! Yep, just six!!

RegTheDonk

Is that all she's worth? If he'd bullshitted enough to convince them it was indeed an accident, and he then admitted manslaughter, then I guess 6 years would be about right .... but MURDER, 6 years???

armybike

Is that all she's worth? If he'd bullshitted enough to convince them it was indeed an accident, and he then admitted manslaughter, then I guess 6 years would be about right .... but MURDER, 6 years???

The reasoning by the judge was, in my opinion, all very odd.

One of the reasons given for the 15 year starting point for sentencing in a murder case not being adhered to seemed to be based around the incorrectly viewed opinion of 'the public' that an argument had taken place prior to the shooting, which apparently there was no evidence to support.

It was the job of the court to base the sentence on the factors and not just to appease the public - the judge seemed to gloss over the fact he'd decided to unload a gun through a door into a small space believing someone to be in there!

There was also the fact he was genuinely remorseful! Yes, he might have been remorseful about killing his missus, but he'd still taken the decision to carry out the actions which he would have known might result in a person's death - it just happened to not be the person he was thinking it might happen to.

Unsurprisingly his legal team aren't going to appeal the sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread