Plan B (1 Viewer)

Otis

Thorn to try Plan B

Diamond formation dropped

Since Andy Thorn took over from Aidy Boothroyd at the latter part of last season, he has advocated playing a diamond formation and at times has had some success, but now he has decided he needs to try something different and is set to try Plan B.
With his side only winning 12 points from 16 games, he desperately need to be able to pick up some points if he is to keep Coventry City in the Championship this season.
In order to to achieve this he is preparing to sacrifice his favoured diamond formation and adopt something different, but it will not be the long ball game. He will not sacrifice his principles and will stick to playing passing football.

Thorn said, “I might change a few things, not the principles of playing football, but the actual system because it is all right me wanting to play that way but sometimes with personnel etc you have to adapt a little bit, but it will be all for the best and we will still play football.

Thorn has been working on new tactics with his players during the international break as he prepares them for their next game at home to high flying West Ham.
"It’s just a question of mixing it up a little bit but my principles to play football won’t change, but we will do it slightly different to get the best out of the boys and try to get some results.

“I just want us to be a little bit more solid, so as much as I love us playing and we will still play, that’s for definite. We need to tighten up a bit. It will suit us because we went to it when we got back into the game against Southampton.
“Sometimes you have got to be prepared to change a little bit here and there and that could do us the world of good. And we have got a bit of time to work on that now.

“Last week was a question of patching everyone up and then this week we’ll give it a blast. As much as I love playing that way and open, I feel that maybe we are a little bit too open so we’ll work on it and see how we go.”

Sub

wonder if this will help with plan B or the money will just dissapear :thinking about::thinking about::thinking about::thinking about:

Coventry City are due a tidy windfall as Chelsea striker Danny Sturridge prepares to make his England debut tomorrow.
The Daily Express says Sturridge will make his England debut against Sweden tomorrow, leaving Chelsea a £1million bill.
Fabio Capello’s confirmation the striker will play means Chelsea owe Manchester City an extra £1m following his controversial 2009 move.
They were ordered by a tribunal to pay £3.5m for Sturridge, now 22, and a further £3m based on future appearances.
City will not bank all of the cash, as Coventry also had a 10 per cent sell-on clause.

covcity4life

thorn doesnt seem very confident in himself

its like hes just gonna experiment and hope something clicks,like those really bad football manager seasons when nothing works

ICHAN

I'm just amazed it has took him this long to realise he needs a new plan and even worse he is going to try it against west ham.
All well and good try something new but whats going to happen if we conceed an early goal or 2 back to the usual panic with no direction or real idea of what to do?

Platt_The_Donkey

It is really good of AT to inform West Ham that he is changing formation, what a clever manager he is.:mad:

Otis

I'm glad he's seen sense. The diamond clearly wasn't working. We need a formation that will at least try and bring in more goals.

KersleyDigs

4-4-2 then

---------------------Murphy----------------------
Christie-----Keogh---------Cranie--------Hussey
Bell---------Clingan------Thomas---McSheffrey
--------------Platt------Jutkiewicz---------------

Subs: Baker, Wood, McDonald, Bigi, McPake, Dunn, Clarke.

If Bell and McSheffrey can get crosses into the box we may actually start scoring a few/ This would also benefit Cody's style of play too.

We'll see i guess..........

Platt_The_Donkey

I think he may actually go 5-3-2.

---------------------------MURPHY---------------------
CHRISTIE - CAMERON - WOOD - CRANIE - HUSSEY
----------------BELL-----CLINGAN---DEEGAN---------
------------------JUKE------------MCSHEFFREY-------

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I hope it works ..........

but it all depends on the players being motivated on the day what ever the system is - and that has been a problem with some of our senior players this season

I dont think it is a particular problem to give away we are ditching the diamond - firstly experienced managers would react to changes quickly anyway but secondly it seems to be that in matches so far it is the opposition imposing their style on us this season not the other way round.

Someone said the other day that they thought AT seems lost - for me this press release and the one about Platt seems to reinforce that. I hesitate to be too critical, and no doubt there will be those that see this as good management and fickle fans, but the pressure is really on and I think our management team are close to the limit of their existing skills, knowledge and ideas - just my opinion to which i am entitled.

West ham and Allardyce are a tough act to experiment against I hope they have worked all the problems of a new system out before Saturday !

That all said - all i would say it is that he has finally taken on board what many of us have been saying for weeks, the diamond does not work with the players we have available, it is too fragile, too slow, leaves too many gaps. It can work well but not with the players we have this season. Why did it take so damn long to figure out it wasnt working !!!

Last edited:

stupot07

Platt will definitely start on Saturday. I don't think he'll play sheffers upfront again after the experiment earlier this season.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think Platt will start....... I hope Hussey is fit too........... and I think we will end up 4 4 2. That means the left back being left exposed by McSheffery and it is unfair to expect the very right footed Christie to do well in that position. Sorry but i wouldnt have Deagan more than a substitute he was clueless last time out. But look at the likely team and the only real pace (if Hussey playing) is the full backs and i wouldnt call them blistering - but i would expect them to provide more service to the strikers than any other players

Thing that worries me is that we move the ball too slowly and whatever the system that is going to be a problem. Is quite likely AT will go with "experience" as he has before especially with West Ham doing so well and that worries me too on the evidence of the experienced performances so far this season.

Guess we wait see ...... fingers crossed we do well

PUSB

Last edited:

Bloodnut1964

I think whatever system we revert to against West Ham, if it doesn't work we shouldn't get on at AT as personally I think no matter what formation we use against West Ham we would struggle.
AT has given the diamond plenty of opportunity to work but unfortunately it hasn't with the players we have got. Time to move on and maybe come back to it in the future when we do have the right players.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
4-5-1 i reckon,

Platt as the 1 with Juke in a withdrawn, wider role

You may well be right but i dont understand why they put him out wide, he isnt a winger and is so far our only goal threat - but stranger things have happened i suppose

SkyBlue_Bear83

4-4-2
--------Murphy
Keogh--Cranie--Wood-Hussey
Bell---Clingan--Gael--Mcsheffery
-------Platt----Juke
No need to go long ball but we certainly need to be moving the ball quicker up the field than we are currently.

Lets hope Cranie, Wood and Hussey are fit. Would be a massive boost.

pusbccfc

5-3-2 would be quality with Christie and hussy going forward, with gael clingan and mac in mid with cody and juke up front.
I only see platt as a super sub!

skybluesteve76

I hope it works ..........

but it all depends on the players being motivated on the day what ever the system is - and that has been a problem with some of our senior players this season

I dont think it is a particular problem to give away we are ditching the diamond - firstly experienced managers would react to changes quickly anyway but secondly it seems to be that in matches so far it is the opposition imposing their style on us this season not the other way round.

Someone said the other day that they thought AT seems lost - for me this press release and the one about Platt seems to reinforce that. I hesitate to be too critical, and no doubt there will be those that see this as good management and fickle fans, but the pressure is really on and I think our management team are close to the limit of their existing skills, knowledge and ideas - just my opinion to which i am entitled.

West ham and Allardyce are a tough act to experiment against I hope they have worked all the problems of a new system out before Saturday !

That all said - all i would say it is that he has finally taken on board what many of us have been saying for weeks, the diamond does not work with the players we have available, it is too fragile, too slow, leaves too many gaps. It can work well but not with the players we have this season. Why did it take so damn long to figure out it wasnt working !!!

Stop it!:p

I don't understand why Thorn has made this public knowledge. He should've left it and then come along and match day and maybe caught West Ham off guard with alternative tactics, maybe he should've continued with the diamond until after West Ham when we have a chance of taking something. Is this managerial naivety?

Nonleagueherewecome

He said we saw it against Saints, so that's either 433 or 442. Either way, we certainly weren't playing passing football 2nd half-just read Platts interview, "Hit it long and battle for the 2nd phase ball". Frankly, West Ham is the best time to switch as they are as direct a side as this division has.

Why don't we go gungho and move the two young fullbacks to wide mid - I would try this:

Murphy

Keogh-McPake-Wood-Cranie

Christie-Clingan-Gael-Hussey

Plattini-The Juke

Well, why not ???

PUSB

Nonleagueherewecome

Why don't we go gungho and move the two young fullbacks to wide mid - I would try this:

Murphy

Keogh-McPake-Wood-Cranie

Plattini-The Juke

Well, why not ???

PUSB

Well for a start, if McPake is playing we've already lost!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director

Murphy

Keogh-McPake-Wood-Cranie

Plattini-The Juke

Well, why not ???

PUSB

Interesting certainly - would certainly give plenty of energy to the midfield if the fullbacks were capable of playing those roles

as to why not - well i cant see Bell and McSheffery in the team and we know he will want to play them - or am i being a tad cynical ?

Also agree with the above - McPake isnt in any sort of form

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
just wondered who folk thought was a better central midfield prospect Gael or Conor ? Think my own preference would be Conor Thomas and play Bigi higher up

stupot07

Murphy

Keogh-McPake-Wood-Cranie

Plattini-The Juke

Well, why not ???

PUSB

I don't think you can class playing 6 defenders and two deep lying midfield players as going gungho!:thinking about:

stupot07,

That formation would not be construed as 6 defenders but 2 wide men attacking the flanks with Sammy as centre mid with Gael unleashed as an attacking mid which I think is his preferred position.

PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread