Play Off Race '24 thread (1 Viewer)

alexccfc99

Thread specific for the Top 6 fight for the back end of the season (Currently discounting the Top 4 as for me they are already shoe ins)

Pretty confident in Hull beating Rotherham tonight and Albion should be too strong for Cardiff at home

Norwich v Watford and Preston v Boro is a nice set of fixtures for us as two of them will be dropping points

Can see Huddersfield nicking something out of Sunderland at home, they seem to have been doing okay since they sacked Moore

I think we draw and end this round of fixtures out of the Top 6

Last edited:

Pezza

We have a really good chance of making the play offs once again, however my worry is that either Leeds or Southampton will be too strong. It looks like the 3 that came down, go straight back up. Ipswich I think will stutter but their early season form should be enough to keep them in the mix.

alexccfc99

We have a really good chance of making the play offs once again, however my worry is that either Leeds or Southampton will be too strong. It looks like the 3 that came down, go straight back up. Ipswich I think will stutter but there early season form should be enough to keep them in mix.
Depends on the mentality of who misses out - Leeds missed out on autos in 2019 and completely lost all composure against Derby in the Play-offs

Sick Boy

We have a really good chance of making the play offs once again, however my worry is that either Leeds or Southampton will be too strong. It looks like the 3 that came down, go straight back up. Ipswich I think will stutter but there early season form should be enough to keep them in mix.
They will most definitely make the playoffs; they're 13 points ahead of us with a game in hand.

Sky Blue Pete

I’m struggling to enjoy there being pressure on every game
As soon as milwall finished I was thinking we really need to win or get a point at Plymouth and we won’t. Need some of the others optimism from this thread
We all need to try and enjoy what the club has achieved after missing out on penalties last year and completely changing the first team. When Eccles and palmer went off there were no players from the play off final. Obviously Ohare would have played.
Frankly that’s completely unbelievable
Add to that we’ve averaged about 25000 at home we deserve such credit for that

Here’s hoping it continues but let’s not be too downcast if we do miss out

napolimp

As soon as milwall finished I was thinking we really need to win or get a point at Plymouth and we won’t. Need some of the others optimism from this thread
We all need to try and enjoy what the club has achieved after missing out on penalties last year and completely changing the first team. When Eccles and palmer went off there were no players from the play off final. Obviously Ohare would have played.

1707816378855.png 1707816400963.png

That is absolutely incredible, 2 completely different starting line-ups between last seasons play-off final, and the team which now sits in a play-off position 8 months later. The only constant being the management.

alexccfc99

Can't relate to that

Back in the Pre-Robins days it was about this time of year I was desperate for the seasons to end as all was left was dull dead rubber matches where we would have nothing to play for

alexccfc99

Cardiff's underlying numbers were poor, it was inevitable they'd fall away. They're not a good side.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Cardiff's underlying numbers were poor in 2018 but they got promoted

Whilst they were up there you had to give them a chance but yeh I think they aren't going to have anywhere near enough

Sky Blue Pete

View attachment 34012View attachment 34013

That is absolutely incredible, 2 completely different starting line-ups between last seasons play-off final, and the team which now sits in a play-off position 8 months later. The only constant being the management.
I think it’s is unmatched I really do
Incredible work from Robjns Vivash and Lawrence and of course King deserves credit too

Sky Blue Pete

Can't relate to that

Back in the Pre-Robins days it was about this time of year I was desperate for the seasons to end as all was left was dull dead rubber matches where we would have nothing to play for
Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to feel like that I just do

covcity4life

I rmemeber arguing with a poster few months ago simply because I didn't feel Preston were dead and buried in the playoff race cos of s few heavy defeats.

Astute

I didn't say we're not in the hunt but there are 8-10 teams vying for 5th and 6th place.
That takes us to 12th and 14th. Teams that are struggling to get wins. Most of those below us were above us with a gap before our present run started.

We were in 6th then got 1 point from 2 games. Went down to 10th. 1 win put us back into 6th.

WBA have a tough run of games coming up. I think we will be above them before we play each other. Each game we win will take us further away from the teams below. We also have the benefit of a good GD for once.

But yes if we're still here next season I think we will be challenging at the top.

Astute

There are always teams lower down the table that hit form and climb at the right time. All teams down to and including 13th are currently in the hunt for the final two places.
Like us last season. And this season we have gone on a run even earlier.

alexccfc99

I rmemeber arguing with a poster few months ago simply because I didn't feel Preston were dead and buried in the playoff race cos of s few heavy defeats.
Their fans were absolutely crucifying Lowe over Xmas so there was probably substance to suggest they would drop down the table

covcity4life

Their fans were absolutely crucifying Lowe over Xmas so there was probably substance to suggest they would drop down the table
It was more someone labelling them as trash or similar. When their points tally clearly showed that was not the case bar a few bad recent results.

I don't think they will make playoffs but they are a rival

SeaSeeEffCee

Hard to say whether we’ll make it at this stage. We’re one of the better sides in the league with our best XI out but I worry that injuries will catch up with us. We’ve played so many game recently we just need to get through this congested patch still in contention and then go from there.

Reactions: AOM

Astute

Their inconsistency will cost them again.

You need to win half your games just to stand still. They have some catching up to do. If they get 1 point from 2 games like we just did they will be out of the race.

Robinshio

just looked and lots of away games coming up 5 out of 7 - so away form is now crucial
That said WBA will be tough but crucial - all of the others look as though we could get something

Assuming we beat Maidstone its

Plymouth A
Stoke A
Preston H
WBA A
Rotherham H
Watford A
Huddersfield A

but depending where they push the Hull game, 5 of our last 8 would then be at home

Robinshio

Their inconsistency will cost them again.

You need to win half your games just to stand still. They have some catching up to do. If they get 1 point from 2 games like we just did they will be out of the race.
correct, and when you are already 6th - win 8/15 of the remainder and we will be there or thereabouts

Hertsccfc

Hard to say whether we’ll make it at this stage. We’re one of the better sides in the league with our best XI out but I worry that injuries will catch up with us. We’ve played so many game recently we just need to get through this congested patch still in contention and then go from there.
I agree with this. We will need to rotate the squad quite a lot in these matches to lessen the risk of injuries. A couple of extra players in January would have been useful and I get Robin's comments about how light the squad is. But we felt this way last year and still made it to the play offs.

jordan210

I have a feeling we will miss out this year by a couple of points.

Then we will all moan that the draw with Swansea again is what cost us.

Users who are viewing this thread