Play Off Race '24 thread (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Their inconsistency will cost them again.

You need to win half your games just to stand still. They have some catching up to do. If they get 1 point from 2 games like we just did they will be out of the race.
But my point was that this was what was said a few months ago lol

Can't keep saying something that isn't true until it becomes true.

I have no issue with people predicting they fall away

It was the stating of fact that they were out of it which just wasn't true that's all

Robinshio

Finishing 5th would be ideal, I’d prefer our chances against Ipswich over 2 legs and then anything can happen in 90 mins at Wembley.
assuming ipswich finish 4th which i expect, you may find whoever finishes 3rd will have a real come down - and may not have it in them for a play off fight

Astute

What a lot of people forget/ignore is the sides below us have to keep playing each other.

Last season some thought I was off my rocker for saying we would be top 6 and might not even need anything from the last game. But 2 sides play each other. 1 wins 1 falls back or it's a draw which isn't good for either. Then they have to play teams above us. Or how about the games against the sides near the bottom fighting for survival.

The twists and turns haven't even started yet.

SB is right saying all sides from 14th upwards are in with a shout. But they need to at least keep up with the results of the top 6 or they will quickly fall away. So most sides will have to improve on recent form. The table now will look totally different by the end of the month.

I'll be happy if we're within striking distance with 2 games to go. But I think we will be safe by then. All we need us a little luck on the way.

Last edited:

Astute

assuming ipswich finish 4th which i expect, you may find whoever finishes 3rd will have a real come down - and may not have it in them for a play off fight
Ipswich only have 9 points from their last 8 games. If they don't improve quickly the pressure will be on.

Astute

But my point was that this was what was said a few months ago lol

Can't keep saying something that isn't true until it becomes true.

I have no issue with people predicting they fall away

It was the stating of fact that they were out of it which just wasn't true that's all
Of course they're still in with a shout. But they have some difficult games coming up. In their next 7 games they have...

Middlesbrough H
Us A
Hull H
Southampton A
Plymouth A

To keep up with the pace they might have to win the other 2 games plus 3 of these.

Legia Sky Blue

Ipswich only have 9 points from their last 8 games. If they don't improve quickly the pressure will be on.

They don't need to improve though. If they carry on that poor level of form until the end of the season they will still end up on 77 points which will comfortably find them in the playoffs. For us to match that we would have to accrue 2 points a game for the rest of the season, which is pretty unlikely, even if we do make it ourselves.

Edit - just read your post back and still unsure whether you mean the pressure on Ipswich is for autos or play offs. Regardless, I think they are under no pressure re. automatic promotion as no one expects that of them.

Astute

They don't need to improve though. If they carry on that poor level of form until the end of the season they will still end up on 77 points which will comfortably find them in the playoffs. For us to match that we would have to accrue 2 points a game for the rest of the season, which is pretty unlikely, even if we do make it ourselves.

Edit - just read your post back and still unsure whether you mean the pressure on Ipswich is for autos or play offs. Regardless, I think they are under no pressure re. automatic promotion as no one expects that of them.
We've been averaging over 2 points a game for a fair bit now. This run includes playing against the top 4 sides. They were clear in 2nd until recently. If they continue their run for the last 8 games and WBA and ourselves keep the pressure on them they will soon be looking over their shoulders.

You see some on here going on about what would happen if we have 4 or 5 of our best players injured at the same time. They don't have strength in depth like us.

Not saying it will happen but the possibility is there.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

So what do we want tonight Southampton ,Swansea, Cardiff and Rotherman to win and Norwich v Watford draw they would be a brilliant set of results.Mind you the odds of that will be high, but can dream.

wingy

So what do we want tonight Southampton ,Swansea, Cardiff and Rotherman to win and Norwich v Watford draw they would be a brilliant set of results.Mind you the odds of that will be high, but can dream.
It's happened last year tbf, team's in the mix tripping over themselves while we just carried on doing our thing!

JAM See

It's happened last year tbf, team's in the mix tripping over themselves while we just carried on doing our thing!
Outside of us obviously, Millwall Vs Blackburn was my favourite result of last season. Just so funny.

You're right @wingy , teams in the mix will trip over themselves.

Just hope it's not us!

baldy

Of course they're still in with a shout. But they have some difficult games coming up. In their next 7 games they have...

Middlesbrough H
Us A
Hull H
Southampton A
Plymouth A

To keep up with the pace they might have to win the other 2 games plus 3 of these.

Boro at home followed by the USA? Wonder if Wright will be selected for that match too

Philosorapter

Thought I would drop this in here 'cause of Ipswich's current Titanic form.

Could it affect the 5th and 6th places in the promotion race?

Maybe, just maybe.

Edit- That lump off Festers rating going along. That was City.

M'eh.png

Edit 2- Analysis of Ipswich's form best done whilst listening to..

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

View attachment 34012View attachment 34013

That is absolutely incredible, 2 completely different starting line-ups between last seasons play-off final, and the team which now sits in a play-off position 8 months later. The only constant being the management.

This seasons squad is much better than last years overall. Much more balanced

bigfatronssba

Mucca Mad Boys

3 draws would do very nicely. WBA will likely beat Cardiff but a surprise here would lead into our fixture very nicely.
just looked and lots of away games coming up 5 out of 7 - so away form is now crucial
That said WBA will be tough but crucial - all of the others look as though we could get something

Assuming we beat Maidstone its

Plymouth A
Stoke A
Preston H
WBA A
Rotherham H
Watford A
Huddersfield A

but depending where they push the Hull game, 5 of our last 8 would then be at home
We’ve lost one game at home too. We’ve drew a lot, but we’ve turned over Leicester and drew to Southampton. So we are more than capable to get results against Leeds, Hull and Ipswich.

Our away games after WBA and Watford are very winnable too, with the exception of Southampton, they’re all lower table teams.

It’s a cliche, but one game at a time, and to echo Robins, if we can’t win, don’t lose!

Gibbo

Not expecting play-offs this season but expecting us to make a proper go of automatic promotion next year.
For the opposite reason that this year is tough, next year may be slightly easier. All three relegated clubs last year were well established clubs and look to be he ones going back up. WBA and all of us are playing for the scraps. The likely relegated clubs this year will be the three promoted clubs (probably). One or maybe two of those could have a dodgy season back in tier 2. It does open up the door to the automatics.

Cally Fedora

In terms of the pressure this is a breeze. The real pressure is the scrap at the other end - as we all well know! Take 3 draws tonight.

Matt smith

All revolves around whether we can keep our small squad fit

with sheaf Allen and potentially o hare out, leaves us short in quality and numbers

Hobo

There is going to be a lot of surprise results between now and the end of the season. Team in the top ten will have to play each other and take points off each other. It is approaching silly season when teams wake up to the relegation fight and get a few surprise results.

We are in a good position, we just have to try and pick up points. If we can stay in the play off bunch until after Easter we are in with a shout.

Ian1779

I think it’s reasonable to think we could not lose again at home this season, so away form will be the difference.

Personally I think the top 6 will be as it is now.

Users who are viewing this thread