Player Ratings (Barnsley) (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody want to start them off?

Littlewood CCFC

Burge 7 - made some decent saves although he needs to start coming off his line quicker

Sterling 4 - Shaky from the start, bad mistake for the goal and kept losing his headers high in our half so when they won the flick on it put us under pressure a lot
WIllis 8 - Him and Hyam were solid, no nonsense all game which is what you need when the oppositions attack is so lively
Hyam 8 - See above. Should of scored or knocked it down for Baka at the end with his headed chance
Mason 7 - did ok, few bad passes first half

Thomas 7 - Worked hard and scored a great goal
Bayliss 3 - i thought he was atrocious today, so many mistakes which led to Barnsley attacks
Kelly 8 - didnt necessarily have a good game on the ball but always puts his foot in mostly covering for Bayliss mistakes
Hiwula 7 - Same as Thomas really, worked hard and scored a good goal. Think he should of done better at the end of the first half though he really messed that one up.

Bright 7 - Some moments of pure class, other times trying to do too much by himself at the detriment of the team.
Baka - 7 worked really hard and should of scored when gifted a bad passback, was a right donkey touch round the keeper!

All in all a good point. Think the Playoffs are still a possibility with Doncaster the last game, just cant afford any more slip ups at home and need to beat one of big teams away (hopefully Sunderland)

DannyThomas_1981

I'll have a go Nick

Fantastic match played in a great spirit. Good football by both sides. Lots of character from us. We looked more than equal to the second best team in the League.

Burge 7. not at fault for either goal. good kicking. great recovery after the Burton game.

Sterling 6. marked down by a point as he lost his man a couple of times in the first half. decent second.
Willis 8. he's a championship player in my view.
Hyam 7. class. but should have scored.
Mason 7. good performance.

Thomas 8. back to his early season best. a constant threat. drove forward. brilliant goal.
Kelly 8. another player who should be at a higher level.
Bayliss 7. not at his confident best. there was a moment in the second half when I expected him to glide forward as he did last season. but he's quality.
Bright 7. not everything came off. but the quality is more than evident. always looking for the ball.

AB 7. decent.
Hiwula 8. I was one of his critics early on this season. fantastic goal. pace is always a threat.

Robins 9. this late season team is great to watch. some big challenges this season and he's found a way to keep things moving forward.

Finally. I watched on IFollow. Totally unfashionable view - Geoff and Clive come in for a lot of stick at times but I personally enjoy the passion they have for the club.

Last edited:

cc84cov

Westbrook looked good when he was given chance earlier in the year. Is he injured?
Looks a better fit alongside Kelly although I feel Meyler should be playing what was the point in his signing current international player with his experience were talking about a promotion chase and he’s sat on the bench

superskyblue

Looks a better fit alongside Kelly although I feel Meyler should be playing what was the point in his signing current international player with his experience were talking about a promotion chase and he’s sat on the bench
In his time with us Kelly has been quite fragile. So letting Doyle go we definitely needed somebody else in that mould. It's just been lucky for us/bad luck for Meyler that Kelly has been virtually ever present (and excellent) since January.

SBAndy

Burge 7 - generally had a good game I thought, kept hold of a few powerful shots. Kicking not perfect but not too bad.

Sterling 5 - just doesn’t look as interested or as switched on as in the last few months. First half he was consistently losing his man but wasn’t helped by Thomas.
Willis 8 - won his duels and was efficient in possession more often than not.
Hyam 5 - poor performance by his usually excellent standards. Very sloppy in possession and should have buried his chance at the end.
Mason 6 - poor in the first half but much improved in the second and began to get the momentum in his favour on our left.

Kelly 7 - retained possession well and battled in the middle.
Bayliss 6 - some occasions he was pivotal in turning defence into attack very quickly, other occasions he was sloppy in possession.

Thomas 6 - a really disinterested performance. Doesn’t look half the player he did over the winter months. And yet he comes away with a goal (hence the mark up).
Bright 6 - created space for himself very well but too often not quick enough to make the decision and play the pass.
Hiwula 7 - good goal, looked threatening when he had the ball but didn’t get enough of it throughout the match. Also needs to think a bit quicker at times, his dithering in the first half cost him a chance.

Bakayoko 6 - worked hard closing down, with the Barnsley defenders then resorting to holding him back when the ball was played over. Probably should have done better with his chance to ‘round the keeper’ though.

mark82

Agree, not sure why he's not ready yet. He looked ok in the first game, apart from obviously blowing a bit. Seems a waste of a signing at this stage.

clint van damme

Burge 7 - made some decent saves although he needs to start coming off his line quicker

Sterling 4 - Shaky from the start, bad mistake for the goal and kept losing his headers high in our half so when they won the flick on it put us under pressure a lot
WIllis 8 - Him and Hyam were solid, no nonsense all game which is what you need when the oppositions attack is so lively
Hyam 8 - See above. Should of scored or knocked it down for Baka at the end with his headed chance
Mason 7 - did ok, few bad passes first half

Thomas 7 - Worked hard and scored a great goal
Bayliss 3 - i thought he was atrocious today, so many mistakes which led to Barnsley attacks
Kelly 8 - didnt necessarily have a good game on the ball but always puts his foot in mostly covering for Bayliss mistakes
Hiwula 7 - Same as Thomas really, worked hard and scored a good goal. Think he should of done better at the end of the first half though he really messed that one up.

Bright 7 - Some moments of pure class, other times trying to do too much by himself at the detriment of the team.
Baka - 7 worked really hard and should of scored when gifted a bad passback, was a right donkey touch round the keeper!

All in all a good point. Think the Playoffs are still a possibility with Doncaster the last game, just cant afford any more slip ups at home and need to beat one of big teams away (hopefully Sunderland)

Totally agree with the low marks for Sterling and Bayliss.
They are both in need of a rest. Said the same about Thomas though he rammed that back down my throat today.

DannyThomas_1981

Burge 7 - generally had a good game I thought, kept hold of a few powerful shots. Kicking not perfect but not too bad.

Sterling 5 - just doesn’t look as interested or as switched on as in the last few months. First half he was consistently losing his man but wasn’t helped by Thomas.
Willis 8 - won his duels and was efficient in possession more often than not.
Hyam 5 - poor performance by his usually excellent standards. Very sloppy in possession and should have buried his chance at the end.
Mason 6 - poor in the first half but much improved in the second and began to get the momentum in his favour on our left.

Kelly 7 - retained possession well and battled in the middle.
Bayliss 6 - some occasions he was pivotal in turning defence into attack very quickly, other occasions he was sloppy in possession.

Thomas 6 - a really disinterested performance. Doesn’t look half the player he did over the winter months. And yet he comes away with a goal (hence the mark up).
Bright 6 - created space for himself very well but too often not quick enough to make the decision and play the pass.
Hiwula 7 - good goal, looked threatening when he had the ball but didn’t get enough of it throughout the match. Also needs to think a bit quicker at times, his dithering in the first half cost him a chance.

Bakayoko 6 - worked hard closing down, with the Barnsley defenders then resorting to holding him back when the ball was played over. Probably should have done better with his chance to ‘round the keeper’ though.

SBAndy - it's obviously all about opinions. I personally thought Thomas was back to his best today - constantly looking for the ball and driving forward. Harsh on Hyam as well!

covcity4life

Only saw final 30 but bayliss looked poor. Think maybe rest him. 2 or 3 poor games in a row

Bright obv can be frustrating when loses possession but fuck me hes so good and needs to be on pitch for every minute for us

SAJ

Burge 7 few good saves thought his kicking is improving.
Sterling 5 would have even lower but in the last 15 minutes woke up. Seems a shadow if what he was.
Willis 8 good game won most of. His duels.
Hyam 6 Defended quite well some sloppy passing should have scored at the end.
Mason 6 had a really good 15 minutes before he went off. Still making too many mistakes.
Thomas 7 seemed to pick up after several poor performances.
Bayliss 4 Seems to be out of the game so often the wrong side of his player. Some poor control and passing.
Kelly 5 I thought he wasn’t st his best today. Caught in possession too often but could have been because he was covering for Bayliss most of the game.
Hiwula 7 got better as the game went on. Good goal which boosted his performance for the next hour.
Bright 6 Some great touches flukes as assist with poor control wish he would real ease the ball quicker.
Baka 7 had a good game up front seems to be getting better in this position week by week.
Brown 7 did well when he came on. I would play him as my first choice left back.
Overall thought we rode our luck again a impressive team. Ironically we possibly could and should have won as we had the chances in the final 10 minutes to have won it.

ceetee

Agree, not sure why he's not ready yet. He looked ok in the first game, apart from obviously blowing a bit. Seems a waste of a signing at this stage.
At the Southam SC Meeting he said that he had a hamstring problem and really should not have played in that game.
I wasn't at today's game but I commented after the Oxford game that Bayliss needs a rest so would be happy to see Meyler back in for at least last 30 mins

A quality game for L1 that. From the away end:
Burge 7 - good shot-stopping, safe hands today, kicking ok, only one or two flaky moments when he didn’t come for high balls.
Sterling 4 - badly at fault for the first goal, second down his side, off the pace throughout. Doesn’t get much help from Thomas, but he’s either tired or mentally on his hols already.
Mason 7 - put in a good shift. Passing improved. Fights hard for his size.
Willis 8 - his usual solid effort; tidied up bad situations without fuss more than once
Hyam 7 - calm présence as usual, some iffy passing. Really should have scored late on.
Kelly 7 - kept ball moving and did a lot of fire-fighting, esp in the second half, partly because of the next two...
Bayliss 5 - the odd classy break, but gave the ball away a fair bit and didn’t do much to get it back. Poor set piece delivery too.
Enobakhare 6 - some great skills, a lot of doing his own thing. Brilliant when it comes off, but often wasteful.
Thomas 7 - in and out, but he was a good outlet and finally got the sort of goal he’s missed many times before.
Hiwula 7 - lively and some good movement. Took his goal well, blundered over a simple chance to shoot just after.
Bakayoko 7 - a pleasant surprise - got better the longer the game went on and really had the Barnsley CBs blowing by the end. Good save denied him late on.

Brown 6 - did his job
Wakefield 6 - didn’t look out of place
Robins 8 - a more positive mindset today, I felt.
SBA 8 - started slowly, but relishing it by the end, rather like Bakayoko.

eastwoodsdustman

Burge 7
Sterling 5
Hyam 7
Willis 7
Mason 8 my man of the match today
Kelly 7.5
Bayliss 7 not as bad as people said
Bright 7
Thomas 7
Hiwula 7
Baka 8

luwalla

Think most of it’s been said well already, but I’ll add a 9 for robins today... as frustrating as some of the matches have been this season , he seems to give us a good end to every season & but for a james collins in our team I’m sure we’d be up in the autos ... made even more frustrating as we were within a whisker of getting him.

No city players in the top 10 scorers in league 1 , which says everything really about where we are and where we could of been

JuFoster

Burge - 7 , no errors
Sterling - 4 , rare bad game
Hyam - 7 solid and almost a winner
Willis - 7, solid also, tough team to play
Mason - 8, MOTM, such a hard working and flawless performance against a superb attacking and physically fit team
Kelly - 8 , needed his tackling
Baylis - 6 , kept quiet
Thomas - 7 lively, scored
Enobakhare - 8, worked hard as well as good touches
Hiwula - 8, hard working and starting to look classy
Bakayoko- 6, worked hard but didn’t come off today

Overall a great performance away at the team I think are the best in the league

slyblue57

Suprised with the Mason ratings.
Everyone has their own views fair enough but he is like either of the Kelly Evans twins.
Too small, too light weight. Teams target him with high balls over his head which is nt hard
Today, matbe a 6 out of 10, MoM, never in a month of Sundays.

Nick

Administrator
Suprised with the Mason ratings.
Everyone has their own views fair enough but he is like either of the Kelly Evans twins.
Too small, too light weight. Teams target him with high balls over his head which is nt hard
Today, matbe a 6 out of 10, MoM, never in a month of Sundays.
In the air obviously he is restricted. If you watch him though, he's a strong lad. I think it was the Fleetwood goal, players seem to bounce off him.

larry_david

Not sure if Mason is pretty poor or potentially very good. Always seems to get lucky with second balls and 50/50s or is he very strong? Great cross for goal, shocking cross a minute earlier.

Burge 6.5 - fine but looks terrified when the ball enters the box from a long ball.
Dujon - 4 that was back to start of the season. Just looks knackered
Mason - 6
Willis 8 - quality. I don't really rate him but today he was superb.
Hyam 7- should have scored
Thomas - 7 scored and must be a bloody nightmare to play against. Quick and never gives you a seconds peace. Reliance to cut onto left all the time though
Kelly - 6 battled well and got better as it went on.
Bayliss 6 - don't really get the hate atm. Two shocking passes but I thought he was key in turning the momentum to get to 1-1. Beat their press 2/3 times which effectively got us in behind
Hiwula 6.5 great goal, ran well. Should have buried a chance on ht. Left foot, ping.
Bright 7 - same old bright. Touch for the second goal was shocking haha
Baka 7 actually got stronger as it went on and won loads of flicks. Could be so good

Garryb80

Not sure if Mason is pretty poor or potentially very good. Always seems to get lucky with second balls and 50/50s or is he very strong? Great cross for goal, shocking cross a minute earlier.

Burge 6.5 - fine but looks terrified when the ball enters the box from a long ball.
Dujon - 4 that was back to start of the season. Just looks knackered
Mason - 6
Willis 8 - quality. I don't really rate him but today he was superb.
Hyam 7- should have scored
Thomas - 7 scored and must be a bloody nightmare to play against. Quick and never gives you a seconds peace. Reliance to cut onto left all the time though
Kelly - 6 battled well and got better as it went on.
Bayliss 6 - don't really get the hate atm. Two shocking passes but I thought he was key in turning the momentum to get to 1-1. Beat their press 2/3 times which effectively got us in behind
Hiwula 6.5 great goal, ran well. Should have buried a chance on ht. Left foot, ping.
Bright 7 - same old bright. Touch for the second goal was shocking haha
Baka 7 actually got stronger as it went on and won loads of flicks. Could be so good
Giving bayliss and kelly the same score.....

stevefloyd

Burge done his job yesterday no real nervy moments from him
Sterling either isn't interested no more or just knackered, he seems in a daze quite a lot now it started happening a while ago, strange
Willis very good yesterday as was Hyam
Mason also had a much better game, good cross for the goal and battled well and didn't give anyone an easy ride
Thomas, people seem to forget he is still young he really does defend well for us by chasing back and took his goal well for a change
Bayliss nothing seemed to come off for him yesterday leaving Kelly to do a lot of covering but we got away with it
Bright frustrating at times but again he is only a youngster and has amazing skills, needs to battle more at times when he loses the ball
Hiwula took his goal very well drifts in and out too much for me
Baka chased a lot and sort of put their defence under pressure but again isolated

Subs never really noticed them to be honest

Overall the team battled well to recover twice from being a goal down a pity we didn't show that spirit against Oxford so frustrating but I think IF we push on next season we would be in a better position for promotion a goal scorer is essential if we are to improve

Credit for Robins for getting his team battling

Pete in Portugal

iFollowed and missed the opening 10 mins.

Burge 7 - generally OK, but still managed to be rooted on his line for crosses a couple of times
Sterling 5 - at fault for their first goal and looked jaded throughout
Mason 7 - one of his better games
Willis 8 - commanding as ever
Hyam 6 - marked down a point for missing a sitter at the end
Kelly 8 - worked tirelessly and was effective in controlling mid-field for long periods in the game
Bayliss 5 - not as bad as some have said, but he did give the ball away too much
Enobakhare 7 - showed off his skills and as usual, to mixed effect
Thomas 7 - not as prominent in defence as usual, but posed an intermittent threat in attack and took his goal well
Hiwula 7 - looked really lively and up for it today unlike his lethargic performance against Oxford. I suspect the Ricoh pitch does not help him
Bakayoko 7 - looked quite a handful and perhaps unlucky not to score

Brown 6 - slotted in no problem
Wakefield 6 - looked OK

Magwitch

Good performance, dodgy start conceding a poor early goal but recovered well and gave Barnsley, a good side a few headaches, same second half early Barnsley goal missed the build up to busy opening some crisps so can’t comment on that. But again came back at them and I thought the longer the game went we looked the more likely winners, but a two all draw away at one of the best teams in the league after going behind twice can’t be sniffed at.

Burge 7: Did what he had to do efficiently. No fault with either goal.

Sterling 6: At fault for first goal should have put the ball in row z instead of trying to be clever but I thought recovered from that, Barnsley’s left side are very good with their quick inter play and first time passing but I thought he helped keep them quiet.

Willis 8: Mr Dependable.
Hyam 8: Both did well individually and as a pair. Someone above has given Hyam a 5, can’t agree with that perhaps marked him down because of the match winning chance he missed.

Mason 8: One of his best games this season another first season rookie starting to look the part, just needs to be better with his crosses at times, he could become a bit of a star

Bayliss 5: marked him down because he has so much potential but gets caught in possession in dangerous areas at times and hangs on to the ball when an early pass would be better happened a few times today.

Bright 7: Did okay oodles of skill and talent, free agent at end of season, keeping him a must.

Kelly 8: Another good performance got vital tackles and blocks in.

Thomas 7: Good equaliser, just his final ball at times let’s him down, did yesterday. Another first season rookie I’d like to keep another year though.

Bakayoko 7: Getting better with each game, that will upset someone on here in particular, Barnsley centre half struggled with him in the air just wish we had slung a few more crosses in.

Hiwula 6: Good goal, was against a real good right back though but kept him busy and not able to forage forward too many times. Could have done better late on though, took wrong decision cutting inside when there was space on his left. Another rookie who will improve.
Subs all 5: Did what they had to do.
Charlie Wakefield looks interesting pacey and bigger than I thought, like to see him play some full games before the season ends.

Overall a pleasing performance I think we could have won. Spoke to Barnsley fans afterwards and they were happy with a point that says a lot.
Future looks bright and promising, we need a break in the politics side.

Users who are viewing this thread