Player Ratings (1 Viewer)

Otis

To me he had little pace and stamina. Wanted the free kick every time. Poorest player in the team.

Some of the free kicks he 'bought' were a little embarrassing. Won't get away with it on other weeks.

skybluegod

Wasn't there but were Wigan poor? Or did we make them look bad?

Wigan were poor but we played our part in making them look so poor.
dont think their players have quite gelled yet but tbf TM got the tactics spot on to nullify their midfield and not lot hem dominate the ball and pick holes, while also hitting them on the counter. Was a brilliant performance, but Wigan are far far from their best.

H

Huckerby

Class today. Wigan looked nothing special but no different to some teams that embarrassed us last season.
Think JOB and stokes were good today, although I did think there was a world of difference between our attacking conviction down the right and down the left.

Maddison looked promising. Lameiras looked like he lacked fitness and confidence, but underneath I am still excited about him because I think there is a good player there underneath. Think Mowbray was shouting at him all game and think his body language showed lack of confidence. Still looks a good player.

Armstrong. Wow. Class above this league and I will out my name against the claim that he will absolutely not be here past and his 6 month mark unfortunately. He's better than this league...at least after this game lol.

Johnson and Ricketts looked solid. Happy about our defensive performance. Vincelot was good too.

Burge had an okay game but I was touching cloth whenever a floated ball went near him. Hard to put how I feel into words but he just makes me shit myself whether it goes near him. Didn't do anything wrong today as such but he still makes me uneasy.

Fleck did good too I thought. Needs to lay off the pies tho

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Otis

Class today. Wigan looked nothing special but no different to some teams that embarrassed us last season.
Think JOB and stokes were good today, although I did think there was a world of difference between our attacking conviction down the right and down the left.

Maddison looked promising. Lameiras looked like he lacked fitness and confidence, but underneath I am still excited about him because I think there is a good player there underneath. Think Mowbray was shouting at him all game and think his body language showed lack of confidence. Still looks a good player.

Armstrong. Wow. Class above this league and I will out my name against the claim that he will absolutely not be here past and his 6 month mark unfortunately. He's better than this league...at least after this game lol.

Johnson and Ricketts looked solid. Happy about our defensive performance. Vincelot was good too.

Burge had an okay game but I was touching cloth whenever a floated ball went near him. Hard to put how I feel into words but he just makes me shit myself whether it goes near him. Didn't do anything wrong today as such but he still makes me uneasy.

Fleck did good too I thought. Needs to lay off the pies tho

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Very fair assessment.

I agree about Lameiras. Definitely a good player in there somewhere. He needs to stop keep going down so easily though, otherwise he is going to earn himself a stack of bookings.

Also agree about Amrstong. Can't see any way we will be able to keep him past 6 months if he carries on like this and and as you say, he looks far too good for this league.

If we are doing really well come January it could really, really hurt us losing him.

Sky Blue Pete

6 months is a long time and it does give Mowbray time to find a more permanent or semi permanent replacement. Shows what's around doesn't it? Bet no one had heard of him before he signed and wow, what pace, control, confidence and ability. Was talking to my 8 year old about making runs off the ball and making the game easier for your team mates and he did that all game.

Terry Gibson's perm

Burge - 7
Willis - 6
Ricketts - 9
Johnson - 8
Stokes - 7
Vincelot - 8
Fleck - 7
Lameiras - 6
Maddison - 8
O'Brien - 7
Armstrong - 9

standupforcity

For me it was a brilliant sustained performance. A team performance the like of which we haven't seen for a long time. Amazing to see the the back line keep it's shape the way it did throughout the game, and to see all players knowing exactly what the plan for the game was. So if I'm to single anyone out, it has to be TM. He got the tactics for this one absolutely spot on...very exciting. Genuinely excited now, on this showing.

speedie87

6 months is a long time and it does give Mowbray time to find a more permanent or semi permanent replacement. Shows what's around doesn't it? Bet no one had heard of him before he signed and wow, what pace, control, confidence and ability. Was talking to my 8 year old about making runs off the ball and making the game easier for your team mates and he did that all game.

I'd heard of him alright I remember seeing him a few times for Newcastle the first time was away at man city in the cup when he deserted them with his pace and did everything but score.

Yesterday when he went through one on one he never looked like missing did he. The pace to break through then slotting it away early, perfect.

I remember Cody McDonald with a similer chance on his debut and he was the opposite he never looked like scoring.

westofrayne

Burge - 7. Solid display did what he had to do.

Willis - 6. Pity he had to come off at half time, still what him to be more positive when going forward.

Ricketts - 9. Impressed with his reading of the game, could be a very good signing .

Reda - 8. Pretty much rock solid. The odd air shot here and there, but he does continue to look very commanding at times.

Stokes - 6. solid enough, but tend to give the ball away to many times late on.

Vincelot - 7. Will need him this season, will piss the opposition off with his constant breaking up of play, tad worried by his lack of pace though

Fleck - 6. in/out the game, but interested to see where the partnership goes with Vincelot.

Lameiras - 6. Hit and miss, but you can see the potential

Maddison - 6. Needs to get stronger, has so much ability, but seems to spend too much time telling people about it rather than delivering it. Hopefully he will improve as the season goes on.

JOB - 7 . Worked well, seemed to hold this position on the left rather than wondering all over the pitch, great through ball for 1st goal.

Amstrong - 8. Great pace, boundless energy. looking forward to see him score a hat full this season.

Overall a solid performance beating what was in front of them, but oh god Wigan were poor. Like to think we made them poor with our performance but we will have to wait and see. Lets all not get too excited about the win, celebrate yes, but some think we are going to walk the league.

At the moment we are promising, with potential, but lack squad depth, few more good signings and we could be top half pushing on from there.

harvey098

Burge - 7. Solid display from the keeper today. One cross he shouldn't have come for, but besides that, a decent game from him.

Willis - 6. Didn't play that badly, but the majority of Wigan's dangerous play was coming down that wing. Not sure if he was carrying a knock or it was tactical when he was replaced.

Ricketts - 9. Outstanding. A very calm head. Cool on the ball and no nonsense. Very impressed with him today.

Reda - 8. Pretty much rock solid. The odd air shot here and there, but he does continue to look very commanding at times.

Stokes - 7. Steady game, but a few wayward passes.

Vincelot - 7. Impressed by him. No nonsense, broke up play and tackled hard. Spread the ball out quite well at times too. Think he is going to be a very important player for us this season if this is anything to go by..

Fleck - 6. Disappeared yet again for long periods, but then he made a few impressive challenges and through balls.

Lameiras - 6. A bit hit and miss. The lad can't tackle and gets knocked off the ball quite easily, but he does have a deft touch. Time will tell on this one I think. Need to see more from him and hopefully we will.

Maddison - 6. Rather lightweight. One delightful ball through to set up Armstrong and he did hit the post, but he flitted in and out of the game at times. He does have that ability to turn a game in an instant though for sure. I am sure he will be an important player for us this year.

JOB - 8 . Worked his socks off and it was a gem of a pass to set up that Armstrong goal.

Amstrong - 9. MOTM. Dangerous all day long. Lightening pace, a good footballing brain, in tandem with boundless energy. Was a nuisance to their defence all game long.

Pretty much how I saw it Otis. Good reviews.

I think the fact that our attacking players are all small forced us to play football instead of times gone by off lumping it up there and seeing if it sticks.

I hadn't seen a way of playing JM RL and AA in the same team but it bloody worked

skybluegod

Pretty much how I saw it Otis. Good reviews.

I think the fact that our attacking players are all small forced us to play football instead of times gone by off lumping it up there and seeing if it sticks.

I hadn't seen a way of playing JM RL and AA in the same team but it bloody worked

Don't think we will see all 3 in that formation again, I think it suited us against a passing team, but as soon as we get in a more exp or more physical presence they will slot straight in, as imo the games will only get more difficult from here, with a lot more physical teams to come.
I think it worked brilliantly yesterday but it's defo not a long term plan.

skybluebeduff

Burge - 5
Willis - 7
Ricketts - 9
Johnson - 8
Stokes - 8
Fleck - 7
Vincelot - 8
Maddison - 8
Lameiras - 7
O'Brien - 8
Armstrong - 10

Subs

Thomas - 7
Phillips - 7
Morris - 6

Burge 5??

He had a very good game, great kicking, and some important catches for a change, it will build his confidence up that's for sure.

stupot07

Burge 5??

He had a very good game, great kicking, and some important catches for a change, it will build his confidence up that's for sure.

I know ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Great_Expectations

Burge - 6 - due to a solid defensive display he wasn't called upon too much, bar the odd long range desperation shot. Made a good close range save in the first half too. Marked down for his kicking, how many went straight out of play/to their keeper? Not good for retaining possession.

Willis - 7 - did well enough defensively, he was targeted because everyone can see he is not a right back. Doesn't offer enough offensively and his full back positioning isn't great.

Ricketts - 8 - so composed and reads the game well. Good calming influence on the ret of the team, including Reda. Look almost nonchalant on the ball at times.

Johnson - 7 - intimidating presence as always and gets the crowd going every time he wins a header. Distribution was poor, but part of the blame lies with those in front of him not offering themselves.

Stokes - 7 - solid display, looked more confident than last season. Few stray passes, but he wasn't alone in that. I know he has his critics, but i have absolute faith.

Vincleot - 7 - did exactly what he was bought for. Looking forward to seeing him do battle with another holding/battling midfielder.

Fleck - 7 - when in the game he made things happen, but he disappears for too long. Someone with his passing ability and vision should love having those technical players in front of him, especially their movement.

JOB - 7 - best I have seen him play in a long time, predominately because he wasn't a headless chicken. Stuck to his position and role, while also showing he has technical ability as well as work rate i.e. his assist.

Lameires - 7 - good technical ability, definitely good feet and movement - the type that will scare defenders in this league, he just needs more confidence and a willingness to tackle.

Maddison - 7 - looked good when on the ball, fast feet like RL, but more awareness of the game around him. Need to be a little careful where on the pitch he is trying things, but definitely looks a threat.

Armstrong - 9 - great pace, great movement, great technique and a great finishers instinct. I hope we get him for the year. Only cautionary note - we can't become too reliant on one player.

We deservedly beat the odds on favourites and we actuall had a game plan! Great start, bring on the Championship.....

Jacketh

Burge - 6 - due to a solid defensive display he wasn't called upon too much, bar the odd long range desperation shot. Made a good close range save in the first half too. Marked down for his kicking, how many went straight out of play/to their keeper? Not good for retaining possession.

I agree with this. Still get pretty nervous with Burge between the sticks but hopefully his confidence will improve over time! Would like to see how he copes with teams that will test him a bit more.

skybluesam66

surprised re Stokes marks . imho was as good as anybody . Top full back performance Not always been a fan - but would give him a good 8+

Armstrong maybe a 9 - and then Stokes/Reda/Ricketts next best
The defence provided the platform for the creative players to shine

The Lurker

Dunno why fleck getting so low ratings. Thought it was best game in city shirt for a long time. He got stuck in, covered a lot of the pitch as did vincelot. Both covered gaps when willis or stokes overlapped. The whole team were immense and just hope it was a case of Ccfc making wigan look poor rather than Wigan just being poor. Once we come up against teams more physical could be a different proposition. Wigan tried to play football but we were just at them from the start, even winning 50/50 balls which wasn't the case last season. In fact wigan reminded me of how were last season. Caldwell must be Pressley mark 2

CCFC_Charlie

Dunno why fleck getting so low ratings. Thought it was best game in city shirt for a long time. He got stuck in, covered a lot of the pitch as did vincelot. Both covered gaps when willis or stokes overlapped. The whole team were immense and just hope it was a case of Ccfc making wigan look poor rather than Wigan just being poor. Once we come up against teams more physical could be a different proposition. Wigan tried to play football but we were just at them from the start, even winning 50/50 balls which wasn't the case last season. In fact wigan reminded me of how were last season. Caldwell must be Pressley mark 2

I still think there are a lot of people who don't like Fleck purely for not living up to the hype that was present when he was brought in. My Dad doesn't really like him and spent a lot of the game criticising him.

olderskyblue

I thought Burge kicking long down the channels or wider was a good ploy. No point punting it straight down the middle to their centre backs. Behind the full backs or even out of play down the sides puts the pressure in their 1/3 of the pitch. 1 or 2 went to the keeper, but most kicks were pretty good I thought.

Squarks

I thought Burge looked better than last year and much more confident. However, his distribution was poor and we missed out on at least a couple of fast breaks following well caught crosses. I am less worried about GK position than last week though hopefully Cooke can have a good game tomorrow and push Burge on too.

The Lurker

I still think there are a lot of people who don't like Fleck purely for not living up to the hype that was present when he was brought in. My Dad doesn't really like him and spent a lot of the game criticising him.

For me he has been a disappoint but Saturday he played well. Got stuck in more times then I've known in the past and actually for forward a couple of times too. His partnership with vincelot could bring the best out of him

The Lurker

I thought Burge looked better than last year and much more confident. However, his distribution was poor and we missed out on at least a couple of fast breaks following well caught crosses. I am less worried about GK position than last week though hopefully Cooke can have a good game tomorrow and push Burge on too.

There keeper was shocking at kicking. Burge didn't have much to do really so hard to judge on Saturdays game but that wigan keeper was woeful. I thought they signed Kirkland but he wasn't even on the bench

Bugsy

Kept a clean sheet, good enough for me. PUSB.

Grendel

An angry inquiry in your first post and labelling me a twat in your second. Delightful.

If it makes you feel any better I'll upgrade Burge to a 6?

I think PTA has a crush on him

Grendel

stupot07

Tbf he was better than a 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Users who are viewing this thread