Players out of contract (1 Viewer)

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Who do we keep on who do we sign, look I know we are only halfway through but we by this time we should know if a player is good or bad, for example Bakayoko can jog on he is a great guy but is a passenger and we cannot afford to have passengers.

higgs

If we do stay up and have ambition to strengthen the squad each year I wouldn't renew any of the out of contract players

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SBAndy

Just for clarity, there’s:

Camp (imminent)
McFadzean
Kelly
Hyam - 1-year option
Bakayoko
Jones
Thompson
Biamou

Out of those, I think I’d exercise Hyam’s 1-year option and would consider 1-year extensions for Kelly and Biamou. However, I get the feeling Matty James is coming in to replace Kelly altogether, especially with mounting injury worries. Biamou can hang around as 4th choice striker if he wishes.

SkyBlueScottie

Bit of a difficult position. Not sure whst league we will be in. Further limited income. As a starting point, I would ask if any of the out of contract players can cut it, in a team which would be looking at promotion if we go down. Having said that, I still think we have enough to stay up.

stay_up_skyblues

Camp (imminent)
McFadzean
Kelly
Hyam - 1-year option
Bakayoko
Jones
Thompson
Biamou

Out of those, I think I’d exercise Hyam’s 1-year option and would consider 1-year extensions for Kelly and Biamou. However, I get the feeling Matty James is coming in to replace Kelly altogether, especially with mounting injury worries. Biamou can hang around as 4th choice striker if he wishes.

I agree RE Hyam and Kelly, although on the premise (hope) summer transfer activity means Hyam reverts to a squad player rather than starter, should we stay up.

Max I think deserves to be starting somewhere but not for City in this league or even in league 1 if we intend to try and get straight back up. Fourth choice for us at best next season.

Would also like to see Jones sign on a pay as you play deal for a year but don’t actually know if these exist? Has any player in recent years signed such a deal at this level? I’d imagine a league 1/2 club might give him the security of a proper contract.

skybluesam66

I agree RE Hyam and Kelly, although on the premise (hope) summer transfer activity means Hyam reverts to a squad player rather than starter, should we stay up.

Max I think deserves to be starting somewhere but not for City in this league or even in league 1 if we intend to try and get straight back up. Fourth choice for us at best next season.

Would also like to see Jones sign on a pay as you play deal for a year but don’t actually know if these exist? Has any player in recent years signed such a deal at this level? I’d imagine a league 1/2 club might give him the security of a proper contract.
Andy impey. Micky adams used to bring him on in 89th minute

Blind-Faith

Hyam and Kelly and that’s it for me. Release the rest and try and improve the quality with in the squad

Northeast sky blue

Camp (imminent)
McFadzean
Kelly
Hyam - 1-year option
Bakayoko
Jones
Thompson
Biamou

I agree Hyam and Kelly along with Biamou but we also have the six on loan to replace. Its going to be a busy summer

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Camp (imminent)
McFadzean
Kelly
Hyam - 1-year option
Bakayoko
Jones
Thompson
Biamou

I would keep:
Fadz, Hyam, Kelly and Biamou
But the rest are not good enough (barring Jodi as he is untested) If it is possible a pay as you play option probably is the best option for Jodi

AFCCOVENTRY

If we stay up. Hyam, Kelly and Jones (1 year deal to see if he really is over injuries with 1 year option in our favour).

If we go down. Hyam, Kelly, Jones (same deal as above, Kyle and Max.

covcity4life

If we are in championship he would possibly let both fads and Hyam go as we would have a while summer to replace

That said excercise Hyam 1 year option would be ok even though he's in a poor patch at the no. Fads should go I think at his age

Striker wise I would maybe keep Biamou as 4th option on low wage

cc84cov

If we are in championship he would possibly let both fads and Hyam go as we would have a while summer to replace

That said excercise Hyam 1 year option would be ok even though he's in a poor patch at the no. Fads should go I think at his age

Striker wise I would maybe keep Biamou as 4th option on low wage
All down to budget mate but could see them go I defo wouldn’t re sign Jones

Barnsley

If you want to hold your own at this level, you need to be turning your squad over every summer, 6to8 out and the same in, you’ve got to be getting players in on 4to5 year contracts more often than not too. Otherwise you’ll find it hard to compete financially, the last thing you want is 3or4 of your better players being free agents the following summer.

The next 2 transfer windows are critical for any promoted teams, get them wrong and you’ll pay for it next season.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

If you want to hold your own at this level, you need to be turning your squad over every summer, 6to8 out and the same in, you’ve got to be getting players in on 4to5 year contracts more often than not too. Otherwise you’ll find it hard to compete financially, the last thing you want is 3or4 of your better players being free agents the following summer.

The next 2 transfer windows are critical for any promoted teams, get them wrong and you’ll pay for it next season.
Do you think right now we can survive this and next season seeing as you have already been in this position?

Magwitch

All those outfield players w
ho go will need replacing if they go along with all the returning loans thats could be thirteen players and that’s
apart from anyone else on their bikes with what will be another restricted budget and championship players wanting championship wages it’s a big task just to stay as we’re are.

Barnsley

Do you think right now we can survive this and next season seeing as you have already been in this position?

Its difficult to say, the best thing that can happen to you to give you a better chance of doing well next season, is being involved in a relegation battle right up to the last day, and finish 4th bottom. Otherwise you players will be attracting the likes of, Stoke, PNE, Blackburn, Derby, Forest, & Birmingham. then you’ve not really achieved anything this season because it’s time to start again.

The one thing our club got right after promotion was selling anyone of any value, we reinvested in 15 players, on 4and5 year deals, managed to stay up by the skin of our teeth, now we’re reaping the rewards with a comfortable season.

Magwitch

It is the way, it looks like Hamer could be a player to attract big bucks but unlike Barnsley only a fraction of any incoming fee would be given over for team building, the problem Robins has he has to pull rabbits out the hat every season, Dabo last year Hamer this.

Barnsley

It is the way, it looks like Hamer could be a player to attract big bucks but unlike Barnsley only a fraction of any incoming fee would be given over for team building, the problem Robins has he has to pull rabbits out the hat every season, Dabo last year Hamer this.

What we tend to be doing lately is signing young players from lower league clubs and academy players of championship clubs, and trying to develop them for 18 months before putting them in the first team fold. To save loaning in a bunch of kids and it seems to be working.

Magwitch

It’s a good way they won’t all come off but they will be hungry it seems to work Barnsley are a good example of that, I think Robins does that to a point but here a lot of our fans want instant results as you will see with the constant negative even hateful comments towards young Shipley, gets slagged before a game ffs!

Dickie

What we tend to be doing lately is signing young players from lower league clubs and academy players of championship clubs, and trying to develop them for 18 months before putting them in the first team fold. To save loaning in a bunch of kids and it seems to be working.

Like Brentford. Seems the way forward.

Barnsley

@Barnsley No disrespect, but you got incredibly lucky last year with what happened to Wigan. I'd like us to be a bit more comfortable than that. Not sure my heart could take it. You've really made the most of that reprieve this year.

You make your own luck, last year we was in play off contention type of form, from the start to the finish, without that we wouldn’t have stayed up, regardless of the Wigan situation. We got lucky but we made it happen.

mark82

We probably need to sell Dabo in the summer unless we sign him up to a new deal.

Edit: Ignore me, he signed a new deal until 2023 with an additional year option so he's signed up for the longer term.

Last edited:

stevefloyd

It’s a good way they won’t all come off but they will be hungry it seems to work Barnsley are a good example of that, I think Robins does that to a point but here a lot of our fans want instant results as you will see with the constant negative even hateful comments towards young Shipley, gets slagged before a game ffs!
To be fair its Shipleys lack of performance thats got him that accolade

Skybluebeliever

I would keep fadz based on this season he has played a lot more than we all thought , next season if we stay up we will need him as back up and experience especially if we keep ostigard , ( much like we thought he would be used this season), Kelly you would need reassurance on his fitness , Hyam could we get a fee for him ? All the rest I would let go

the rumpo kid

Thank you so much for your professional insight professor football, you should be on sky sports more often or at very least a Mach of the day pundit. Why nobody else has thought of this (including the mighty Barnsley) is well beyond the average footie fans like us. Just thank you !

Users who are viewing this thread