Please explain this myth (1 Viewer)

Ccfc1979

...that since the last ten games of last season we have been playing good football. And when you have, please explain how good football has led us to second bottom and relegation? Nothing about a lack of funding or lack of support, if there is 'good football' how is it good and why has it not led to good results?

CovLis86

With a striker who could bag 20+ goals in a season from open play? Definitely. How many games did we lose by a goal, or only manage a draw. 1 more goal in each of the 20 games would have been the difference between relegation and mid table obscurity.

Ccfc1979

So what is 'good football'. I always thought it was passing, movement, defending, scoring and winning.

Colonel Mustard

Good football is getting the most out of the resources that you have. Some would say that AT has done that, but I definitely would not.

CovLis86

I'll leave you 2 brick walls to talk it out.... More tiring being on here than watching this whole season fizzle out to be honest.

Grendel

I'll leave you 2 brick walls to talk it out.... More tiring being on here than watching this whole season fizzle out to be honest.

We have been hitting brick walls since the Clueless One came to town. Certainly not been hitting goals anyway.

...that since the last ten games of last season we have been playing good football. And when you have, please explain how good football has led us to second bottom and relegation? Nothing about a lack of funding or lack of support, if there is 'good football' how is it good and why has it not led to good results?

Because if you listen to some, good football = knocking the ball around amongst Clingan/Keogh/Crainie 60 yards from goal, and then lump it Platt.

Oh, and then win 2 out of those 10 games, during the most critical part of the season, with 'a good bunch of lads' who are 'buzzing' when a game is won....but then 'tired' when we lose to another shitty team down there or to a tea, with fook all to play for......

Grendel

WestEndAgro

We do not play good football, we play a small amount of passing around the back four, or on the odd occasion across the middle, very rarely do we play a killer pass which dissects the opposition.we do not play little triangles, with pass and move, or one two's, we do not play balls into tight areas encouraging teams to close down the ball, creating space for others to penetrate.

Just my opinion though !

stupot07

while people might argue whether we have or have not been playing good football, i do think that the fact that we have tried to play passing football this season is one of the reasons the younger players have done so well this season. They have at least had a decent amount of touches of the ball, more so than they would have done under someone like AB. I remember the Birmingham Cup game under AB last season, where Thomas spent the entire game watching the ball go over his head with all the hoofball.

Otis

That's it exactly, Stu. We try to play passing football. This doesn't mean that what we are playing is good football.

I don't the football has been particularly good this season. Think that is what AT would like us to aspire too though. Just because he tries to play passing football it doesn't mean that it is particularly good.

SkyBlueM

To be honest I couldn't give a shit if we play 'good' football or hoofball I want to see winning football regardless of the style. To win playing an attractive style of pass and move is just a bonus pusb

sylus

i'd actually like to see good football for a whole 90mins...but good football and 90mins with coventry city..just dont go..

Covstu

while people might argue whether we have or have not been playing good football, i do think that the fact that we have tried to play passing football this season is one of the reasons the younger players have done so well this season. They have at least had a decent amount of touches of the ball, more so than they would have done under someone like AB. I remember the Birmingham Cup game under AB last season, where Thomas spent the entire game watching the ball go over his head with all the hoofball.
Agreed, you cannot win, if we play hoof ball people moan as it's not attractive, you try to play good football and people moan. No matter what style of football we played would not have altered the outcome this season.

For the record, thomas had a shocker at brum plain and simple.

@richh87

Playing good football??? Good football is winning football and we ain't been playing that!

Most of you fools criticised Aidy Boothroyd's style of play as 'not good football'. Ask West Ham fans what 'good football is' - it's attractive football which is pleasing on the eye. Sorry you people don't seem to understand that a manager is only as good as the players at his disposal. It's not a hard concept. Some of you have even convinced yourselves that these kids and others who aren't good enough or are too inconsistent for this league, Bell, Baker, Deegan etc - are somehow a squad capable of so much more. Bollocks are they - get a grip.

Nick

Administrator
Most of you fools criticised Aidy Boothroyd's style of play as 'not good football'. Ask West Ham fans what 'good football is' - it's attractive football which is pleasing on the eye. Sorry you people don't seem to understand that a manager is only as good as the players at his disposal. It's not a hard concept. Some of you have even convinced yourselves that these kids and others who aren't good enough or are too inconsistent for this league, Bell, Baker, Deegan etc - are somehow a squad capable of so much more. Bollocks are they - get a grip.

Should a good manager not get the best out of what they have? Rather than saying they have nothing?

Lloyd

It's threads like these that bring me back to ABs time in charge just before Xmas and how we were sitting pretty high, and fans like some on here were crying out saying "we don't want winning football, we want to see good passing football" then we lost our midfield and AB got thrown out for 10 bad games, all I'm going to say about it is, if we win i couldn't give a toss about how we did it as long as the game was entertaining, but people seem to have this notion that we are so much better than what we actually are and that somehow Thorn is to blame for it

Grendel

Incorrect. Boothroyd was never criticised when the team were in the top 6. I assume the West Ham reference is some comments aimed by a tiny minority to Allardyce - when they fell out of the top 2. West Ham fans (as we all are) are very selective with their memories. In the late 80's they were very agricultural - Julian Dicks, Bonds, Ince etc. They also enjoyed relative success.

The suggestion we play good football and have achieved the lowest league position in half a century and have the worst away record in Britain is a joke. We play losing football.

Players not good enough (the 3 mentioned scouted by your hero is interesting in itself) or not good enough to play his stupid system for the first 23 games which has got us to where we are?:thinking about:

Users who are viewing this thread