Match Thread Plymouth (A)- Wednesday 14th Feb (4 Viewers)

Garlana86

Thomas has been really really good this last batch of games he’s played

he was poor last night, key phrase being last night, one game
Yeh, imagine getting on a players back after one game, when he came on Vs Millwall he changed the game as we looked far more resilient.

We've been lacking a bit consistency in the lineup recently, especially at the back. Sheaf is a huge miss for the dog work he does in the middle, which is evident because teams have had a much easier time cutting through us, I recall seeing just before his injury that sheaf was posting 1st for tackles in the league, thats pretty significant. Now that kitchen and Thomas are playing together again, hopefully we will start to see some consistency, my fear is that the sheaf injury will be difference between us making playoffs and just missing out, time will tell.

Sky Blue Pete

Don’t get the over the top criticism of Thomas. He’s been generally very good and has the odd off moment as you’d expect from a young centre back. He brings the ball out of defence very well and gets us up the pitch quickly.
First goal was his mistackle
Second from a misplaced pass
He is generally very good but that’s why we aren’t keeping clean sheets

robbiethemole

The ball from Torp was pure

200.gif
HEY!!! I got panned for saying that at the weekend hahahaha

Tomh111

1st half I thought he was the best player on the pitch, 2nd half at fault for both goals.

I do think he has a real task though, Milan gets so high up the pitch that in transition he is covering for him and can be isolated.

That doesn't excuse him diving in, but I do think he was hungg out to dry for the first goal.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

skybluegod

1st half I thought he was the best player on the pitch, 2nd half at fault for both goals.

I do think he has a real task though, Milan gets so high up the pitch that in transition he is covering for him and can be isolated.

That doesn't excuse him diving in, but I do think he was hungg out to dry for the first goal.

Not sure hung out to dry is right. As you say there is no excuse for diving in. He just needed to have a calm head and hold him up in that moment whilst the team got back. He will learn from it tho as I said last night, he's 22 he has to be allowed to make mistakes.

Grendel

Some of the stuff in every match thread an hour before kick off is just ridiculous to be honest
We have a manager who has given us 7 fantastic seasons and yet some think he doesn’t know what he’s doing every single week

That was not the source of his annoyance though?

Tomh111

Not sure hung out to dry is right. As you say there is no excuse for diving in. He just needed to have a calm head and hold him up in that moment whilst the team got back. He will learn from it tho as I said last night, he's 22 he has to be allowed to make mistakes.
He has nobody covering in front or wide of him, Lati is high up the pitch with Milan.

Don't dive in, but he was put in a really shitty position.

robbiethemole

in slow-mo, you can see he means to get his foot to it and it goes straight in, no deflection and past the keeper
Nothing flukey about it, and makes up for the shambles against Swansea!!!
their fans saying we're well organised but fluid too, why can't OUR 'fans' ever accept we are a very decent side in the play-offs, what do they expect, auto's ?????

Sky Blue Pete

It’s a split second on the highlights you think bloody hell bobby you were never getting that but in that split second he must have thought if I don’t get the ball I get the man and that’ll be fine to take the card
That said the player did well to find Whittaker and a sweet strike left Collins no chance
Without tats covering mve he was isolated so perhaps unfair to blame him totally for diving in

robbiethemole

Agreed. As you say, possibly our 4 best players not starting last night. If you'd taken Hamer, Vik, Sheaf & Doyle out of our team last season, and played that game last night, we would of got nothing.
If they'd taken Whittaker and Hardie plus 2 others from their starting 11, they would have looked terrible last night, everything went through them.

slowpoke

Got to be pleased with the deserved point I thought second half we would come out and dominate and win the game but in fairness to Plymouth they stood toe to toe with us. and were actually better than they were first half.
in my opinion they wouldn’t have scored either of the two goals if Binks was playing in the middle (CB).
But we got a point and are now in the top six.

Mucca Mad Boys

They’re all collective failures. This forum obsessed over assigning blame to an individual for each goal.

Why did we launch a long ball to JDS?
Where was MVE for their second?

And so on… There was a catalogue of errors that lead to both goals.

Whilst we miss Sheaf’s defensive work in midfield, we have been more open since the new year.

CovLad94

Shows the character and fight of the team, even when things aren't going our way or haven't played particularly well we are still grinding results. Well earned point in tough conditions against a side who are food at home. I think we beat Stoke.

DannyThomas_1981

Shocking performance, can really see when we don't have our actual usual starters playing just how piss poor we are. Godden is just terrible, the sooner he goes the better. Bobby Thomas is so unreliable and just rash and gives the ball away every single match, we need to sign someone in the summer and have Bobby as a backup.
Dasilva anytime i see his name on the team sheet im worried, he can't defend and it's as simple as that.
Torp is an absolute unbelievable signing, he controlled everything for us tonight.
The summer will be crucial for us, we need a centre back, midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger and a forward.
0800 800 1000. Samaritan’s hotline. Be prepared to wait 20 mins though with 3-4 of the regulars on here ahead of you pouring out their hearts out after a 96th minute equalizer away.

robbiethemole

How do you legislate for a massive deflected goal from a driven cross?? Thomas didn't have time to react and it flew in off his knee for their second, it looked like Collins had it covered on it's original trajectory.There's a video from behind the goal that shows it, other than that, did they have any more chances??

Ashdown

We were excellent on the ball at times, the passing and movement full of quality…..but that seemed to be negated again by our strikers. Simms scored fair enough but he nearly made a hash of it and poor Matty Godden just looks bereft of confidence and his legs look like they’ve gone.
That Whittaker would make a nice addition to our forward line 🤔

Mucca Mad Boys

Shows the character and fight of the team, even when things aren't going our way or haven't played particularly well we are still grinding results. Well earned point in tough conditions against a side who are food at home. I think we beat Stoke.
If you’d have offered a point before the game, you’d have taken it. We’re still in the playoffs with the strongest GD of the teams below us.

After WBA and Watford, all of our away games (bar Southampton) are against bottom half teams which puts us in good stead.

MR will keep calm, we’re in a good place but this forum has a habit of catastrophic thinking.

Mucca Mad Boys

We were excellent on the ball at times, the passing and movement full of quality…..but that seemed to be negated again by our strikers. Simms scored fair enough but he nearly made a hash of it and poor Matty Godden just looks bereft of confidence and his legs look like they’ve gone.
That Whittaker would make a nice addition to our forward line 🤔
No ifs or buts, Simms scored. You don’t get style points.

Since the new year he’s got 3 goals in 10-11 games - a respectable return. Godden in the other hand, 1 league goal since September.

Otis

It’s a split second on the highlights you think bloody hell bobby you were never getting that but in that split second he must have thought if I don’t get the ball I get the man and that’ll be fine to take the card
That said the player did well to find Whittaker and a sweet strike left Collins no chance
Without tats covering mve he was isolated so perhaps unfair to blame him totally for diving in
Yeah, but the pace he was flying in at, it could have easily ended up being a red, rather than yellow card.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I make that 4 goal involvements in 8 games for Simms now, he’s played a combined 361 minutes in that time. Average of a goal involvement every 90.25 minutes which is very good maybe he’s finally starting to click, and I dont care if you question his goals scored you have to be there to finish and actually bury it Godden showed last night its not just about positioning, my money would have been on Simms scoring that

fatso

Why is Thomas being slated? He’s been a very good player for us so far and he’s only 21/22 so has so much time to grow and improve any mistakes out of his game. Him and Kitching are the future its clear to see, and they are also the present. The only thing is if we went up I’d back Kitching to step up but I’d want another player beside him, as I think Thomas is better but he’d get caught out for his mistakes more often. That might sound contradictory but I hope you get what I mean. He’s also fucking massive
I wouldn't say he's being slated, it's just people pointing out that he has an error in him, in a number of games, (as in the build up to first goal) he is a young player (as you pointed out) and will improve with experience.

For me the 2 key incidents last night were Goddens miss and Thomas diving in and not getting the man or the ball in the build up to their first goal.

That's not slating players, it's just pointing out errors that impacted on the result.

skybluegod

He has nobody covering in front or wide of him, Lati is high up the pitch with Milan.

Don't dive in, but he was put in a really shitty position.

That's why he was meant to hold him up... He still had kitching and da silva behind, cb's get isolated at times, he wasn't hung out to dry. Diving in is what cost the goal, not his isolation on the right.

Sky Blue Pete

That's why he was meant to hold him up... He still had kitching and da silva behind, cb's get isolated at times, he wasn't hung out to dry. Diving in is what cost the goal, not his isolation on the right.
That’s what I think too
We could have prevented it but the main reason was diving in yep

Mucca Mad Boys

I wouldn't say he's being slated, it's just people pointing out that he has an error in him, in a number of games, (as in the build up to first goal) he is a young player (as you pointed out) and will improve with experience.

For me the 2 key incidents last night were Goddens miss and Thomas diving in and not getting the man or the ball in the build up to their first goal.

That's not slating players, it's just pointing out errors that impacted on the result.

I think Plymouth score even if Thomas didn’t dive in - he probably dove in because we were exposed. There wouldn’t be a need to if we were defensively set as a team.

The missed tackle made a dangerous situation worse.

McLovin87

That is a class finish by Kitching, nipped in front of the defender and finished with the outside of his foot. Watching it last night I thought it was a pinball goal through the fog on my dodgy Firestick!

I love Bobby Thomas but he reminds of McFadzean as we went up through the leagues, he's always got a mistake in him, as well as the mistimed tackle he passed it straight to a Plymouth player who was 10 yards in front of him.

The thing is as time went on McFadzean cut out these mistakes and became a vital part of the team, Thomas will learn from these mistakes as time goes on. He's 23 he will only get better with time, the way he sets us up on the counter as well when he makes those runs out of defense is a great weapon!

Users who are viewing this thread