Pressley wants pacy winger (1 Viewer)

Sky Blues

CT reports:

Coventry City are tracking League Two star Jacques Maghoma who could become manager Steven Pressley’s first signing subject to the club coming out of their current transfer embargo.

Despite the restriction, the Telegraph understands that the City boss is pressing ahead with talks with several targets and it has emerged that the pacy Burton Albion left winger is high on his list.

The 25-year-old former Tottenham Hotspur trainee has had a sensational season with the Brewers with whom he scored an outstanding 18 goals to help them into the play-offs, where they suffered heartbreak at the hands of Bradford City.

The player, who is from the Democratic Republic of Congo, was named in the 2012/13 League Two Team of the Year and is currently out of contract at the Pirelli Stadium and available on a free transfer.

It is believed Maghoma’s representative has spoken to City but he will have plenty of offers from other clubs at League One level and the Championship as he looks to build on his best season of his career to date.

Albion boss Gary Rowett inherited the wide man, who had shown enough flashes of his talent in his previous three seasons, but got the best out of the charismatic figure who scored some wonderful goals, terrorised defences and topped the assists table, further endearing himself to supporters with his passionate outbursts via social media.

Maghoma was also voted Players’ Player Of The Year by his team-mates and took the “Golden Boot” award for top goal scorer at Albion’s end of season awards, where he was also a prominent contender for Goal Of The Season after scoring a superb long-range effort against Leicester City in the Capital One Cup.

And although Albion fans and Rowett would love to keep their key player it is generally accepted that he is likely to end his four-year spell at the club and move on this summer.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ws/coventry-city-boss-steven-pressley-3902231

Back to naming our targets before we have/can bag them?

Brighton Sky Blue

Signing League 2 players to make a League 2 team in front of League 2 crowds, though at a League 1 ground I suppose.

Mucca Mad Boys

Signing League 2 players to make a League 2 team in front of League 2 crowds, though at a League 1 ground I suppose.

This a joke? I think he'd be a very good signing.

That Maghoma has had a storming season and is attracting interest all over, besides, just because a player came from the league below, doesn't mean he's not good enough i.e. any non league player who's done well in the FL (Austin), or Pilkington to Norwich (came from L1) and our very own Baker (kinda, Morcombe signed him from NL) - I'm going to assume that was a joke though.

SonofErnie

That Maghoma has had a storming season and is attracting interest all over, besides, just because a player came from the league below, doesn't mean he's not good enough i.e. any non league player who's done well in the FL (Austin), or Pilkington to Norwich (came from L1) and our very own Baker (kinda, Morcombe signed him from NL) - I'm going to assume that was a joke though.

I think the overall sentiment was correct. He may have had a 'storming' season, but so have other players in League 2 only to fall short at the higher level. Cody McDonald springs to mind. He may well turn out to be an excellent signing, but at this moment in time it's a risk

Brighton Sky Blue

Disillusionment Taylor as any player with aspirations or ambition is not going to come here with such a big question mark over the club's future. If this groundshare idea actually goes ahead our crowds will not be sufficient, nor will our other revenues, to fund anything more than a League 2 team.

procdoc

He would be a good signing but we aren't going to get him. By the time our embargo gets lifted all the decent out of contract players within our range will go elsewhere.

torchomatic

Too right as obviously no player from the lower leagues has ever made it at a higher level.

Danceswithhorses

Why would any quality player with ambition want to sign for a debt-ridden, homeless, basket-case of a transfer embargoed club like us ?
Nice one SISU...great job.

ccfc92

Okayy, so now we've announced our interest, who thinks we will sign him? Ffs, the only teams that can announce who they wanna buy are the ones in the top league.

sky blue john

James Collins was it last year that went to Swindon. He couldnt wait for us to come out of embargo and he supported city as a kid !!!!!

Sterling Archer

Moronic comment.

Have we not learnt about slagging off lower league signings yet? Our best signings in the last decade have all come from leagues lower than we were in.

Fox
Dann
Westwood
Keogh
etc

Brighton Sky Blue

Moronic comment.

Have we not learnt about slagging off lower league signings yet? Our best signings in the last decade have all come from leagues lower than we were in.

Fox
Dann
Westwood
Keogh
etc

There is a big big difference-we were not under embargo when showing interest in these players and our off field circumstances were hugely different to what they are now. I am not being critical of this particular target, but surely it stands to reason that even promising players from the leagues below will not want to sign for a club with so much off field uncertainty and in any case we can't sign them anyway. If the groundshare goes ahead our crowds will not support anything above a League 2 standard side and that is what we will end up with if the issues aren't resolved.

Sterling Archer

I'm sorry BSB, but you know as well as I do that your comment implied buying players from the lower leagues would decrease the ability of the squad, which is quite simply put, a silly comment.

Nonleagueherewecome

Pressley wants a pacy winger:thinking about:
He may have the speed,but he has to be able to cross the bloody ball too.
ask John Williams

Oh he can cross all right. One of the goals last week of the season was made by him skinning two men on the wing and curling in a peach of a cross. He was in the Spurs youth set up, the guy has technical ability.

He was also their stand-out player for Burton against us last season.

Users who are viewing this thread