Match Thread Preston North End FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 4th Nov (6 Viewers)

stevefloyd

Hopefully stays with the same side as the last match (well he can change the 'wing backs' if he wants) Hadji looked a little bit better and hopefully gets his confidence up, need Sheaf to be better too he looked dreadful on Monday

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Liam Kelly is only 33. Everyone goes on like he’s 60. And to be fair I thought he was older than he is.

Yes he may only be 33, but he has more injuries than a 60 year old. 🤕

BlueSkiesForever

Problem is he wants to play five defenders and four midfielders, which isn't only very negative, but all of which are goal-shy. The strikers are our best bet, even though they are stuttering, but now it seems he wants to play just one.

If he wants to score goals he needs to look at his tactics. Also who he is signing. Gyökeres and Hamer were doing a hell of the leg work when the others weren't contributing, and now we are seeing the consequences of their loss.

Definitely agree, I’m still convinced we should be looking at 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with the squad we’ve got. We’re still shipping goals with 3 defenders and 2 wingbacks and we’re not creating solid chances to score, okay our strikers are not on form but it’s not like we’re creating 10-15 easy chances per game. Might as well actually play exciting and attacking football rather than being on the defensive all the time, it’s got us nowhere so far.

slowpoke

Hopefully stays with the same side as the last match (well he can change the 'wing backs' if he wants) Hadji looked a little bit better and hopefully gets his confidence up, need Sheaf to be better too he looked dreadful on Monday
Was Sheafs worst game for a long time, can forgive him for one.

BlueSkiesForever

Could be massively wrong but I can’t see Preston scoring many tomorrow, it’s not as if they’re in goal scoring form, and bar the occasional mix up at the back we don’t tend to concede many. I reckon it’ll be tight and I think we have a proper good chance of drawing if not winning it.

SlowerThanPlatt

Could be massively wrong but I can’t see Preston scoring many tomorrow, it’s not as if they’re in goal scoring form, and bar the occasional mix up at the back we don’t tend to concede many. I reckon it’ll be tight and I think we have a proper good chance of drawing if not winning it.
We’ve won two games since they last won one, I’d be concerned for the first time this season about where we’d heading if we get turned over easily.

Last edited:

pusbccfc

Considering the poor league performance and terrible record at Deepdale it’s impressive

Shame people only go if we are doing well etc.

Wouldn't hear that from Sunderland, Boro, Wednesday or Leeds that will sell the place out comfortably.

Big chance to properly up our away average and we haven't taken it unfortunately.

SlowerThanPlatt

Wouldn't hear that from Sunderland, Boro, Wednesday or Leeds that will sell the place out comfortably.

Big chance to properly up our away average and we haven't taken it unfortunately.
Our away support is good but it’s not on the
level of Leeds or Sunderland is it?

Birmingham took under 2,000 there and they’re a more comparable club

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Was Sheafs worst game for a long time, can forgive him for one.

Yes, but some of his superfans were still rating him higher than Eccles in that game, which just about says it all. There are genuinely some posters on here that have given him man of the match for every single game he has played. It is madness. Then there are those wanting us to play the box. Even put Sheaf in an attacking role despite the fact he blunts our attacks and cannot shoot. That means five defenders that will not score, plus four midfielders that also are unlikely to contribute. In reality, none of of our midfielders are really top of the division quality. Therefore with our strikers struggling to take off, they want to make it even worse by filling the team with goal shy players.

I really think Robins has run out of ideas, as much as I love him. It is starting to piss me off. You can blame a hangover from last season, but for me he is starting to run out of good will. Still nothing on this forum however. Completely batshit. I have seen barely any good alternative solutions. The box, play Sheaf further forward, play Sakamoto and COH behind one striker. It is like we are begging the team not to score.

clint van damme

Yes, but some of his superfans were still rating him higher than Eccles in that game, which just about says it all. There are genuinely some posters on here that have given him man of the match for every single game he has played. It is madness. Then there are those wanting us to play the box. Even put Sheaf in an attacking role despite the fact he blunts our attacks and cannot shoot. That means five defenders that will not score, plus four midfielders that also are unlikely to contribute. In reality, none of of our midfielders are really top of the division quality. Therefore with our strikers struggling to take off, they want to make it even worse by filling the team with goal shy players.

I really think Robins has run out of ideas, as much as I love him. It is starting to piss me off. You can blame a hangover from last season, but for me he is starting to run out of good will. Still nothing on this forum however. Completely batshit. I have seen barely any good alternative solutions. The box, play Sheaf further forward, play Sakamoto and COH behind one striker. It is like we are begging the team not to score.

Agree with your first paragraph but not your second.
After 6 great years Robins has earned the right to take a backward step as far as im concerned.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Agree with your first paragraph but not your second.
After 6 great years Robins has earned the right to take a backward step as far as im concerned.

Agreed. How can Robins possibly be running out of goodwill after 14 games of a season when he’s took us from League 2 dross to the Championship play offs within 5 years?

Every team plays 2 ‘holding’ midfielders but we have made life hard for ourselves not having any box to box midfielder lined up for Hamer to go. We need the wing backs to drive the attack far more and deliver for the strikers.

We have started poorly this year. We have lost the best two players in the division. We are up against much harder teams. We are still struggling to gel. But we are only 14 games in.

Anyone calling for Robins should be castrated so their idiocy can’t multiply.

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Agreed. How can Robins possibly be running out of goodwill after 14 games of a season when he’s took us from League 2 dross to the Championship play offs within 5 years?

Every team plays 2 ‘holding’ midfielders but we have made life hard for ourselves not having any box to box midfielder lined up for Hamer to go. We need the wing backs to drive the attack far more and deliver for the strikers.

We have started poorly this year. We have lost the best two players in the division. We are up against much harder teams. We are still struggling to get. But we are only 14 games in.

Anyone calling for Robins should be castrated so their idiocy can’t multiply.

I haven't seen almost anyone seriously suggesting he should go, but given the money thst has been spent, it is completely fair to ask some questions as to why we are doing so badly.

It is easy to point fingers at the recruitment team, but there's some good players in there. We aren't getting the best out of them at the moment and that sits with the manager.

Anyway...

Robins OUT
Slade IN

procdoc

Sheaf has consistently been a quality defensive midfielder in this league for the last few seasons. One poor game doesn’t change that. It’s not like he was the only player that put in a poor performance on Monday night.

procdoc

But we are creating enough good chances to win games. The formation is not the issue.

Brighton Sky Blue

Clubs that aren’t having shit seasons do tend to get better crowds full stop. More people are willing to pay to watch a team doing well, that’s nothing new.

Tommo1993

Don't get the infatuation of how many people go to watch games
We have a great following regardless of taking 3 or 5 thousand to Preston

Some people just constantly overestimate this fan base. I’ll never understand it.

Not important how we’re doing, 2800 not to be sniffed at. But people will continue to shit themselves over boring averages that mean nothing.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I haven't seen almost anyone seriously suggesting he should go, but given the money thst has been spent, it is completely fair to ask some questions as to why we are doing so badly.

It is easy to point fingers at the recruitment team, but there's some good players in there. We aren't getting the best out of them at the moment and that sits with the manager.

Anyway...

Robins OUT
Slade IN

The recruitment team have completely let down the club. They have not done their due diligence.

Who would have thought the director of football of St Albans City in the National League South wouldn’t have been able to handle a £20M transfer budget! If only there was a warning sign! The reality is, like all of us on this forum, the only experience Dean Austin has of working with budgets like that is on Football Manager. He’s got to be held accountable for the shocking Haji Wright and Kitching transfers.

We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to propel ourselves into being regular promotion contenders and we’ve put our faith in a washed up National League South director. I fell in love with the squad last season. This season I hate it. I hate all of the players we have spent money on. It’s irrational but I hate the sight of Wright, Simms and Thomas. They make me sick knowing how much we’ve wasted on them.

I’d make Austin pack his bags and get Badlan back in with velocity.

Still pining for Russel Slade to come back?! Isn’t the clown Austin enough punishment for you?!

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Some people just constantly overestimate this fan base. I’ll never understand it.

I think we have decent backing away but there’s been an illusion made that we have amazing fans. We were only loud the last couple of seasons because of improvements on the pitch. WBA Monday was back to silence and the odd half hearted PUSBs. .

Now we have gone poor on the pitch again, we’re back to poor atmospheres.

Anyway - let’s get behind the team today, they’re going to need us.

oscillatewildly

Which ones mate? Looks like the one back has been delayed by about 5 mins but can’t see any more than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our head honcho ticket master (He sorts all group matters concerning travel) sent a text to everyone (a bit vague to be honest) about the return train being cancelled. I called him and it transpires it concerns one individual who wasn't on the original cheap booking he made for us all weeks ago who might be therefore in peril of being left behind (?)
I really don't know much more than that as he then said he was going into work for a couple of hours before picking everyone up.
I assume he is going to claim refunds for the cancellations but I also think he's jumping the gun a little.
Anyway, we'll be on the road in an hours time - no doubt soon to meet some kind of lengthy disruption and delay there as well.
I honestly thought the hardest part of today would be the team getting anything from the game. How wrong I was.
* We were originally travelling up on the 8.30 which was cancelled so were going to jump on the 7.27

Brighton Sky Blue

The recruitment team have completely let down the club. They have not done their due diligence.

Who would have thought the director of football of St Albans City in the National League South wouldn’t have been able to handle a £20M transfer budget! If only there was a warning sign! The reality is, like all of us on this forum, the only experience Dean Austin has of working with budgets like that is on Football Manager. He’s got to be held accountable for the shocking Haji Wright and Kitching transfers.

We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to propel ourselves into being regular promotion contenders and we’ve put our faith in a washed up National League South director. I fell in love with the squad last season. This season I hate it. I hate all of the players we have spent money on. It’s irrational but I hate the sight of Wright, Simms and Thomas. They make me sick knowing how much we’ve wasted on them.

Still pining for Russel Slade to come back?! Isn’t the clown Austin enough punishment for you?!
These players, especially the attacking ones, were signed on the very naive assumption that Hamer was staying. Which was daft anyway as instead of retaining Kelly we needed more quality in the centre in any case. But to have no plan for Hamer’s departure is kicking this team every week.

skybluecam

Don’t know how you can hate Simms, he’s probably the one signing that was pretty sensible.

Some of the others there are questions about yes.

Users who are viewing this thread