Private parking fines (1 Viewer)

ccfctommy

Anyone ever had one of these? Can you get away with not paying them? I parked at a topps tiles and went into Nisa on Courthouse Green and got one and a reminder letter. Apparently a few others have for one too.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

I had one ages ago at my gym car park - had about 10 or more letters, went from reminders to threatening to ‘ok, we’ll accept x’ or ‘y’ basically reducing the amount and trying to get something from me…

I ignored them all and eventually after about 6 months they foxtrot oscar’d and left me alone

Also, I’m not sure about current law but they were basically invoices rather than fines, and not generally enforceable because the amounts they ‘charge’ for the amount of time you park there are completely unreasonable - you can also try a different tact and offer a ‘reasonable’ amount to cover the time you were there, eg down the road they charge £2 for three hours so I’ll pay you £2 as a reasonable charge for the time I was parked, and I assume the matter is now closed - send the £2 to them (in pennies if you really want to piss them off) and leave it at that….

To be honest though, if you ignore them enough I bet they go away!

one other option is to speak to citizen’s advice - not sure how much they might be able to help…

Fysnkysc

Only fines you need to pay are government ones, they can chase and ask but if you don't want to pay you don't have too.

I got one from tesco about 6 months ago but it went to my uk address and never seen the letters until I came back last week for a funeral.

ovduk78

A guy I work with got one for parking in a Waitrose car park about 6 years ago. He never paid it and gets a reminder every year which he ignores. He has never responded to any of them as that seems to open up a dialogue which may end with him having to pay something. I would just ignore it.
On an aside, I parked in Tesco's car park for the Birmingham game & haven't heard anything yet. Are they normally this slow?

Grendel

A guy I work with got one for parking in a Waitrose car park about 6 years ago. He never paid it and gets a reminder every year which he ignores. He has never responded to any of them as that seems to open up a dialogue which may end with him having to pay something. I would just ignore it.
On an aside, I parked in Tesco's car park for the Birmingham game & haven't heard anything yet. Are they normally this slow?

Waitrose are very low key

The danger of not paying is some private operators take a percentage to a small claim court and often win. Even taking someone to court and raising the CCJ would screw credit ratings for mortgages and loans. It’s best to complain to an ombudsman and get their judgement

OffenhamSkyBlue

If no Notice to Driver is left on the vehicle at the time of the parking event (i.e. like Tesco at the Arena Park which uses ANPR), then the parking company must get a Notice to Keeper to the keeper within 14 days of the event - the date of the event being day zero - to be able to transfer the driver's liability to the keeper.
So if you, as the keeper, haven't had it within 14 days, they cannot transfer the driver's liability for the charge to you. Of course, you may also be the driver, but they don't know that, and the identify of the driver is the one thing you should never EVER tell them.

ovduk78

Waitrose are very low key

The danger of not paying is some private operators take a percentage to a small claim court and often win. Even taking someone to court and raising the CCJ would screw credit ratings for mortgages and loans. It’s best to complain to an ombudsman and get their judgement
Waitrose just lease 1 of the shops along with a TK Maxx and a pet shop so it whoever looks after the car park on behalf of the land owner. I think larger companies like Tescos are more likely to go after money than smaller ones like this one and Topps Tiles.

Users who are viewing this thread