"Quality over quantity" (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Surely it is about getting the balance between the two right ? plus you have to have bought sufficient quality in the first place ?

Precisely osb.

I may be accused of taking any opportunity to have a dig at the powers that be again, but to me this sounds like Igwe trying to justify having a wafer thin squad.

AT may agree with the sentiment but if you ask him if he's happy with the size of his squad I'm fairly sure the answer would be no!

Otis

Anyone who thinks we have enough quality here is in Cloudcuckooland.

Real quality? Off the top of my head ..... Clingan, Cranie, Juke. That's about it isn't it?

wingy

Anyone who thinks we have enough quality here is in Cloudcuckooland.

Real quality? Off the top of my head ..... Clingan, Cranie, Juke. That's about it isn't it?

And the two young boys so far:thinking about:

Astute

We are in the Championship. How many teams we will be playing have large squads full of quality? Fester have spent about as much as the rest of the teams put together. Even they fail with both points.

Otis

And the two young boys so far:thinking about:

Well yes, but a bit too early for them yet I think. Tis possible they could start going backwards.

I remember Liam Davis getting a couple of games and doing really well ..... what ever happened to him I wonder? :thinking about:

Marty

The squad has little quality as it is and will only get worse when the likes of McSheffrey, Platt & ROD are called upon, I wouldn't mind having a small quality squad of 16 senior pros + the youths, but it's not, the team is made up of donkeys & injury prone players like Baker, Bell, McPake. we'll be lucky to survive this season with these bunch of no-hopers.

wingy

Well yes, but a bit too early for them yet I think. Tis possible they could start going backwards.

I remember Liam Davis getting a couple of games and doing really well ..... what ever happened to him I wonder? :thinking about:

Got released by the cobblers recently dont know if he's been successful getting a deal .Could have been decent had we persisted,Coleman had aprevious agenda with him if i remember,Fulham i think ,was it against Celtic he scored that wonder goal ,very similar to Christie in size and pace.

Chipfat

Where is KD and PC at least when they talked we knew it was bullshit so we half expected drivel, this one expects us to believe all and follow it... To me they (Sisu) are making it worse by coming out and talking about how good they are the football is and how the kids are doing.. We have 2 points, we have a weaker squad than last year, we have no depth and if we are honest we have no real quality ,,,, who is kiddin who here.....

Astute

We are 4 points away from being in the top half of the table. We have lost all 3 games by 1 goal. Drawn the other two. Not been outplayed in any game and not had any easy games yet. We now hopefully have a player that will score some much needed goals for us.

Don't worry, I suppose we are just sh1t :facepalm:

Nonleagueherewecome

"I think the current squad is better in quality than the quantity we had last year so we don't want to add just for sake of adding more bodies and Andy would agree." So we don't have King, Aron, Turner or Westwood, and we've replaced them with McDonald, Christie, Bigi and Murphy. Does anyone really believe that is an improvement on quality-never mind the quantity, if you consider the other released players (and I rated Carsley and thought Doyle contributed a lot last season). Utter rubbish, yet again. When in a hole, please stop digging Mr Igwe. You are clearly out of your depth in this new "mouthpiece" role.

The good news is...after being released by Northampton (a familiar fate for ex-City players this summer), Liam Davis has been snapped up by Oxford: a better club with genuine promotion ambitions. He scored last week. He is still a good player, but as fragile and injury-prone as ever. I'd say Oxford can afford to take a gamble more than Northampton as they have better squad depth.

Nonleagueherewecome

Where is KD and PC at least when they talked we knew it was bullshit so we half expected drivel, this one expects us to believe all and follow it... To me they (Sisu) are making it worse by coming out and talking about how good they are the football is and how the kids are doing.. We have 2 points, we have a weaker squad than last year, we have no depth and if we are honest we have no real quality ,,,, who is kiddin who here.....

It's a bit like going to the doctor with a sore eye. He then tells you the eye is absolutely fine, in fact getting better than ever every day, whilst simultaneously jabbing you in said eye with a fork.

wingy

"I think the current squad is better in quality than the quantity we had last year so we don't want to add just for sake of adding more bodies and Andy would agree." So we don't have King, Aron, Turner or Westwood, and we've replaced them with McDonald, Christie, Bigi and Murphy. Does anyone really believe that is an improvement on quality-never mind the quantity, if you consider the other released players (and I rated Carsley and thought Doyle contributed a lot last season). Utter rubbish, yet again. When in a hole, please stop digging Mr Igwe. You are clearly out of your depth in this new "mouthpiece" role.

The good news is...after being released by Northampton (a familiar fate for ex-City players this summer), Liam Davis has been snapped up by Oxford: a better club with genuine promotion ambitions. He scored last week. He is still a good player, but as fragile and injury-prone as ever. I'd say Oxford can afford to take a gamble more than Northampton as they have better squad depth.

Good to hear:D

J

Jack Griffin

I can't believe this guy, he talks the most unutterable shit I've ever heard & believe me I've heard some prime bullshit in the past.

I could come up with better spin than that if I put my mind to it & stuff that would seem credible, but this guy he just stands there & says the equivalent of "Black is White".

Danceswithhorses

We are 4 points away from being in the top half of the table. We have lost all 3 games by 1 goal. Drawn the other two. Not been outplayed in any game and not had any easy games yet. We now hopefully have a player that will score some much needed goals for us.

Don't worry, I suppose we are just sh1t :facepalm:

The table doesnt lie...based on ACTUAL RESULTS, we are currently the second worst team in the division...FACT
We have not won all season...0 wins in 6 games.
Sadly you dont get points for......'nearly' winning games, not being outplayed, or playing 'difficult teams'.
So Igwe's 'quality' quote does look pretty feeble, and more like an excuse for non-investment in the playing squad.

Nonleagueherewecome

I love the "difficult teams" line! "Well, yes, we lost again..but they're better than us, so we can't complain..maybe next week, chaps? 2nd bottom? So, we're better than someone? What are people moaning about?!"

It really is ironic that those from such a background as people who exploit capitalism's failures would talk about "fairplay" all the time :D

O

odysseus

Everyone on this thread appears to be brimming with negativity. Things might improve. We have the incoming quality loans. We have talent coming through and finding their feet ( Bigi, Thomas and Christie). Deegan yet to come back to add some weight to the midfield (he might even play the rest of the season without futher injury). Mcdonald and Duke may gel and produce goals. We might be far better off then last year. How many clean sheets did Westwood manage? ( not many that I can ever remember) Marlon was class but spent half the time suspended and/ or injured. And everyone pissed and moaned about Aron and how useless he was again until Andy Thorn came in and played him where he was meant to be played all along. (BIgi has more creativity in his dick then Aron ever showed). We're barely into the new season....we were robbed at Crystal Palace and if we had won that game would be half way up the table. Talk to me after 10 games and see where we are then. Things are gonna pick up.

Astute

Everyone on this thread appears to be brimming with negativity. Things might improve. We have the incoming quality loans. We have talent coming through and finding their feet ( Bigi, Thomas and Christie). Deegan yet to come back to add some weight to the midfield (he might even play the rest of the season without futher injury). Mcdonald and Duke may gel and produce goals. We might be far better off then last year. How many clean sheets did Westwood manage? ( not many that I can ever remember) Marlon was class but spent half the time suspended and/ or injured. And everyone pissed and moaned about Aron and how useless he was again until Andy Thorn came in and played him where he was meant to be played all along. (BIgi has more creativity in his dick then Aron ever showed). We're barely into the new season....we were robbed at Crystal Palace and if we had won that game would be half way up the table. Talk to me after 10 games and see where we are then. Things are gonna pick up.

You can't go saying things like that when the "SISU out whatever the cost" crew are out :whistle:

covcity4life

the posters on page 3 so far are my kinda people!!!!

people say the table dont lie but at the same time there are other cliches like table doesnt tell a story till afetr 10 games,or you cant win the title at xmass etc

i agree with astute that we will have a better september than we did am august where we battled hard and were not that far off the teams we lost too.

Disorganised1

"You'll never win anythingh with kids"

Nonleagueherewecome

I love how if you want SISU out you aren't allowed to have any other opinions on here any more-just reduced to one of the "SISU out brigade". Nice.

Nonleagueherewecome

I'm going to assume that every point you make, you do so sarcastically! Most notably the "incoming quality loans" and the "we were robbed at Palace" gems. Palace fans and objective observers will have a slightly different memory of that game.

ICHAN

Thing is all you get is sisu lie, sisu have let us down, X player is going/gone(maybe did not want to play for us anymore and want to further there career), X Player has been loaned out (Juke has left I don't know how many times now and yet he is still here) when non of this actually has happened etc etc we all know this however the same negativity (notice not moaning) raises it's head, there is no alternative, and as of yet I have not read anyone who wants sisu out passionatly give a viable alternative, unless of course they would prefer admin?.

O

odysseus

I'm going to assume that every point you make, you do so sarcastically! Most notably the "incoming quality loans" and the "we were robbed at Palace" gems. Palace fans and objective observers will have a slightly different memory of that game.

Ah, yes. There was a few hints of sarcasm in there. Robbed at palace was the wrong thing to say...unlucky to lose though for sure, and yep.....am really looking forward to the "incoming quality loans". But the overall feeling of negativity pisses me off. And things could well turn around. Hope they do. And anyone who thinks we need quantity over quality in our current situation needs there head examining. On a limited budget its got to be young quality players only. Thank god SISU do seem to be looking after the academy.

Gaz

Quality over quantity !

If these Sisu muppets had any intention of investing then they wouldn't come out with BS like this.

Get Sisu out.

shmmeee

We have to cut our cloth. We've gone down the "quantity not quality" route before and ended up with the likes of Andy Impey.

Maybe given the wage budget Thorn would rather bring in one or two players that will improve the first team and use Academy players to fill in the gaps rather than buy in 5 or 6 players at or below the standard we have already.

It's frustrating as hell, but we are where we are. Given that I can't say I'd do any different. We aren't in a position to waste wages on players who aren't playing, we're just going to have to gamble on the right players staying fit.

Users who are viewing this thread