Ratings v Reading (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Absolutely, agree with that, but nothing wrong with being lucky. Not a criticism as I said he finds a way. You could even argue there was luck in promotions however. Crept into 6th in L2 and had some luck in both semis v NC, then a season curtailed by covid for the second promotion. I think we'd have won that league, but no guarantee and we'll of course take it. Even the maligned Slade got him to his first Wembley victory. None of this is to demean his achievements and I hope he goes on being 'lucky for him and us.

On the other hand we spent two of these seasons in Birmingham, and for last season mostly missing our two decent strikers, first choice keeper also out forcing us to play a lower league journeyman along with our captain being out for months at a time. Yes in individual games some strokes of fortune but averaged over whole seasons you'll be found out if that's all you've got.

rob9872

I'm not sure if I not explaining myself or if nobody is getting the point I making. I've not said Robins isn't any good. We're allowed to question decisions and disagree without calling for a taxi.

All I'm trying to say is if as a few examples we didn't get that pen v NC or the offside called in the second leg, if covid doesn't happen, if both subs today weren't quite as effective, if the ref blows before Godden scores today if, if, if. None of those are things he can control, none would have been his fault, but they could have happened. Thankfully they didn't, but fine margins and Thankfully we have someone who seems to fall on the right side of those fine margins and long may it continue.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not sure if I not explaining myself or if nobody is getting the point I making. I've not said Robins isn't any good. We're allowed to question decisions and disagree without calling for a taxi.

All I'm trying to say is if as a few examples we didn't get that pen v NC or the offside called in the second leg, if covid doesn't happen, if both subs today weren't quite as effective, if the ref blows before Godden scores today if, if, if. None of those are things he can control, none would have been his fault, but they could have happened. Thankfully they didn't, but fine margins and Thankfully we have someone who seems to fall on the right side of those fine margins and long may it continue.

I suppose the counter to this is those 'ifs' can be framed from the other way round. What if Gyo's first half shot hits the post and goes in rather than out, what if Bong's elbow on O'Hare is actually spotted, what if Jones hadn't had his L2 season ended early, what if Biamou hadn't booted the ball into his own half at Forest etc etc.

Skybluedownunder

As always you want one of our players to fail and you seem to have found your latest boo boy (it really is incredibly tiring for the rest of us) - as a supposed fan of this club - seek help.

I actually enjoy [mention]Grendel [/mention] comments. He sometimes says what we are thinking but we try not to say and there is absolutely no filter. We may say it a bit more polished but that’s what I love about Grendel… you can’t polish a turd and in this case Grendel is right… DaCosta is turd

I agree with someone else’s comment that Drysdale and Pask must have no future if they can’t get in the team past DaCosta. How DaCosta managed to start when he nearly single handedly fucked the game against Blackpool in the 4 minutes he was on was beyond me. I’ve never seen a substitute make such a mark on a game in such a short space of time, I just wanted the whistle to blow as quickly as possible

Today we were all over them, we had so many shots on goal, it was a real one sided affair. I agree with someone’s review of Dabo about when he played against Forest at CB he looked a little questionable but once moved into his natural position he shone and yeah I think personally Pask deserved the opportunity today as DaCosta certainly hasn’t showed us this season he deserves the shirt, Pask has never let us down when he’s played but he just isn’t a first choice player so today should have been his opportunity

If only Gyokeres scored that pen against Barnsley we would be joint top of the league, we really look like we can play this season, I’m really intrigued to see how we will go against QPR as a lot of pundits have put them down as their dark horse team this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mark82

Every team has good luck & bad luck at times. We've had both, it's just that the good ones stand out. I'm not having Covid as good luck though. We'd have won the league regardless, at the very least would've been promoted.

harvey098

I’ve stopped coming on here so quickly after wins because it just kills my buzz. How can you watch a last second winner, which sees us take 9 points from 12 and find time to argue about the manager.

Anyway:

8 - Hyam, Sheaf, O’Hare, Hamer, Gyk
7.5 - Moore, McFadz
7 - Dabo, Dacosta, Maatsen
6.5 - Waghorn

Fans -10
Robins - 10
Best thing that happened to this club in 20 years.

Littlewood CCFC

And how many times have these fine margins gone against us over the years? sorry but your point makes zero sense. It has nothing to do with luck in fact we are notoriously unlucky, Robins has just done an amazing job to get us where we are on and off the pitch

Sky Blue Pete

I’ve stopped coming on here so quickly after wins because it just kills my buzz. How can you watch a last second winner, which sees us take 9 points from 12 and find time to argue about the manager.

Anyway:

7.5 - Moore, McFadz
6.5 - Waghorn

Fans -10
Robins - 10
Yeah sorry!!

Second half performances from Hyam sheaf and maatsen were simply brilliant and on that you can add Ohare Allen Godden mcfadzean Dabo for honourable mentions.

Even the ref adding extra time for their time wasting was brilliant. You normally have two players who you think played well but that second half it was up to 9-10 players performed. Not perfect not without mistake but with heart and commitment and passion.

Malaka

Moore - 7.5 Solid performance
Dacosta - 7.5 I thought he was decent today
Dabo - 6.5 Stupid unnecessary challenge for the pen, did well going forward
Sheaf - 7.5 Great game, but needs to stop needlessly giving the ball away cheaply. He will come good
Mcfaz - 8 Born leader (MOM)
Hyam - 8 Growing as a player
Maatsen - 7 Put some great crosses in. I like him
Hamer - 6.5 Meh!
Ohare - 7.5 Should be less but it's Callum
Waghorn - 5 I didn't realise he was playing until the second half
Gyojeres - 8 scared them half to death in the first half.

Allen - 7 Took his goal well
Godden - 7.5 He's back!

SBT

Moore 7

Dabo 7
McFadzean 7
Hyam 8

Dacosta 6
Hamer 8
Sheaf 8 MOTM
Maatsen 7

O’Hare 7

Waghorn 6
Gyokeres 7

Allen 7
Godden 7

Londonccfcfan

Anyway:

7.5 - Moore, McFadz
6.5 - Waghorn

Fans -10
Robins - 10

Some folks are just mental mate.

letsallsingtogether

Moore - 7.5 Solid performance
Dacosta - 7.5 I thought he was decent today
Dabo - 6.5 Stupid unnecessary challenge for the pen, did well going forward
Sheaf - 7.5 Great game, but needs to stop needlessly giving the ball away cheaply. He will come good
Mcfaz - 8 Born leader (MOM)
Hyam - 8 Growing as a player
Maatsen - 7 Put some great crosses in. I like him
Hamer - 6.5 Meh!
Ohare - 7.5 Should be less but it's Callum
Waghorn - 5 I didn't realise he was playing until the second half
Gyojeres - 8 scared them half to death in the first half.

Allen - 7 Took his goal well
Godden - 7.5 He's back!
I agree with most of these scores still think Dabo did enough to get higher even with the pen.
Cant see how any one could score Waghorn more or the same as Dacosta. Thought Dacosta for all his failings did put in some good crosses but then again I'm not looking for him to fail. Waghorn did nothing but still feel he will come good.

rob9872

And how many times have these fine margins gone against us over the years? sorry but your point makes zero sense. It has nothing to do with luck in fact we are notoriously unlucky, Robins has just done an amazing job to get us where we are on and off the pitch
So to take your point all the times it went against us we were unlucky and all the times it didn't luck wasn't involved, but my point makes zero sense err ok!

Robins has done an amazing job, I've acknowledged that and agree. I don't see why it's so hard to comprehend that we've had some luck along the way which as you point out we've not had in other eras. All I've actually said is it's nice to get that luck for a change and he seems therefore to be a manager who has luck- that's not a criticism, it's actually a good thing but my posts are being pulled apart as if I've suggested phoning 555555

Brighton Sky Blue

So to take your point all the times it went against us we were unlucky and all the times it didn't luck wasn't involved, but my point makes zero sense err ok!

Robins has done an amazing job, I've acknowledged that and agree. I don't see why it's so hard to comprehend that we've had some luck along the way which as you point out we've not had in other eras. All I've actually said is it's nice to get that luck for a change and he seems therefore to be a manager who has luck- that's not a criticism, it's actually a good thing but my posts are being pulled apart as if I've suggested phoning 555555

Would you say he has been ‘net’ lucky on balance?

Brighton Sky Blue

Me too.
If Aguero hadn't of scored in extra time Man Utd would have won the league, so is that good luck for City and Bad luck for United or just a balance over the whole season?

Over a whole season you get what you deserve. Yes it’s easy to focus on the big moments but we often lose sight of things that appear insignificant at the time but also add up.

The 19/20 season being brought up is odd given that nobody in L1 disputed us being granted promotion

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Disagree but each to their own

He has had some luck in terms of having a preferred system that he's then had to change due to injuries (Andreu/Jones/Jobello) which has worked in our favour.

Of course he had to get those changes right, but you do wonder if he'd have changed those systems if those players had remained available, as we were doing OK with them but didn't look like promotion material.

Brighton Sky Blue

He has had some luck in terms of having a preferred system that he's then had to change due to injuries (Andreu/Jones/Jobello) which has worked in our favour.

Of course he had to get those changes right, but you do wonder if he'd have changed those systems if those players had remained available, as we were doing OK with them but didn't look like promotion material.

Who’s to say those players fit in the intended system wouldn’t have done the business? I think the Birmingham exile counts big in the bad luck column purely for the financial implications as much as anything else. On balance I think the luck is net zero at best

NortonSkyBlue

Absolutely, agree with that, but nothing wrong with being lucky. Not a criticism as I said he finds a way. You could even argue there was luck in promotions however. Crept into 6th in L2 and had some luck in both semis v NC, then a season curtailed by covid for the second promotion. I think we'd have won that league, but no guarantee and we'll of course take it. Even the maligned Slade got him to his first Wembley victory. None of this is to demean his achievements and I hope he goes on being 'lucky for him and us.
Not meant to demean him...whilst Doing just that.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Who’s to say those players fit in the intended system wouldn’t have done the business? I think the Birmingham exile counts big in the bad luck column purely for the financial implications as much as anything else. On balance I think the luck is net zero at best

We can never know, but going on how the team were playing pre-injuries we'd have had to improve quite a bit to be as good as we were post injuries.

We just seemed to look better almost immediately when those changes were enforced on the team, and given we kept using those new systems suggests we were improved.

As I said, MR had to make those changes and came up with something that worked - he could well have kept the system and shoehorned players into it but didn't - so he deserves massive credit for that.

Sky Blue Pete

We can never know, but going on how the team were playing pre-injuries we'd have had to improve quite a bit to be as good as we were post injuries.

We just seemed to look better almost immediately when those changes were enforced on the team, and given we kept using those new systems suggests we were improved.

As I said, MR had to make those changes and came up with something that worked - he could well have kept the system and shoehorned players into it but didn't - so he deserves massive credit for that.
If I was mr I would have made so much of my changes winning the game

procdoc

Not you mate, you were defending the manager that has taken us from league 2 to absolutely dominating games in the championship, with 2 Wembley wins on the way. Imagine having to defend that man to fans of the actual club he’s done that for.
Some people are never satisfied. I think part of it is that Robins has set such high standards and expectations that any result or performance that falls below those expectations is put under the microscope more

NorthernWisdom

Moore - 7 Competent, reassuring, unspectacular but... that's a good thing.
Dacosta - 6 One of his better games! Stayed in position, offered an outlet.
Dabo - 7 Difficult to mark. Poor as CB but it's not his position. Excellent in his position. Regardless of whether DaCosta did well or not, the main issue is moving Dabo to CB and taking him away from what he's good at.
McFadzean - 7.5 Didn't really notice him, so must be good, especially ref: what I said about Moore.
Hyam 7.5 Ditto to McFadzean
Sheaf - 9 Always looking to put us on the front foot with some progressive passes. When in defence did the same. I thought he was shaky when asked to defend as a defender, but that wasn't often and, much like Dabo, that's not his position. Unlike Dabo, he was still able to influence the game in an offensive sense.
Hamer - 8 Energetic, looked to get us moving, good set pieces, and I even saw him play a simple pass or two!
Ohare - 6 (Takes cover) buzzing around, but little end product. nice shot, fluffed the rebound. It was Sheaf and Hamer driving us forward.
Waghorn - 5 anonymous
Gyojeres - 7 Another hard to mark. Held the play up well, brought players into the game. If he can learn some kind of cutting edge then we have a signing and a half

Subs

Allen - 7 excellent goal. Good goal, energetic. Not as good overall as vs Blackpool, but did what he was supposed to
Godden - 7 Mainly for the goal, which is what he's paid to do. Up to that stage not much, but who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread