Reality check (1 Viewer)

Old Warwickshire lad

Most level headed fans agreed , that a mid table finish would be great and show progress this season. We are in top six, and have been most of the time.
We are the surprise package this season, surprising a lot of us as well as the opposition. The away form will improve at some stage.
So how about we just enjoy the ride and agree every place above half way is a bonus.

Harries11

Agree, would of taken any form of progression on last years position, anything above that to me is a bonus. Nice that a few players have surprised us as well, but theres also no reason having seen how capable the players are that we cant do well and compete.

Evo1883

Most level headed fans agreed , that a mid table finish would be great and show progress this season. We are in top six, and have been most of the time.
We are the surprise package this season, surprising a lot of us as well as the opposition. The away form will improve at some stage.
So how about we just enjoy the ride and agree every place above half way is a bonus.

There's no reason why we can't push for a playoff spot this season if we turn our away form around

We're a bloody good football side

rob9872

There's no reason why we can't push for a playoff spot this season if we turn our away form around

We're a bloody good football side
Agree. Obviously my initial response flippant, but I've seen nothing to scare us, we play a decent style and have good players. I believe it's a free hit and Barnsley are proof that it might be a one off chance, so grab it with both hands and dare to dream. We'll need some luck, not least I steering clear of key injuries or suspensions but it's not beyond the realms.

In fact the three biggest threats to success I see are not in the opposition, but in our away form which needs to change rapidly, an injury to Moore or Robins being poached.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It would but the problem is if we have players that do well but the team don't do better than that we run a very real risk of losing them and then having to rebuild. With our budget we can't afford to break the bank to keep them.

Even if you've got a good scouting network eventually you'll sign a dud.

cooperskyblue

It is great that we are in a position this season that our 'dissappintment' of losing to Preston on Tuesday night is because we missed an opportunity to go up to 3rd place and build a 6 point gap to those teams outside the playoffs as opposed to being disappointed that another game goes by as we search to get clear of the relegation places.

It's going to be a fun season, we know we can beat whoever when we are on it especially at home. Just make a reasonable improvement to the away form and then we are in a strong position.

Grendel

If we were to finish mid table we’d be achieving only about another 38 points in the remaining games which means over 70% of games we’d be achieving a Ppg average of no better than last season

that’s a lot of defeats to come

Woolly68

Pre-season I was hoping that we would finish in the 7th to 12th bracket, based on the finish to last season and a healthy dose of optimism. Here we are now far exceeding my expectations and playing some cute football at times. It’s a great time to be a City supporter. The play-offs look like a realistic possibility, come the end of the season, and that is what I’m pinning my hopes on now.

like anything in life it could obviously all start going North or South so the now realistic chance of scraping in to the play-offs will do for me. Looking forward to my 200 mile trip up to Coventry tomorrow. Only my second game this season. Come on you ol’ Sky Blue buggers!! From the Deb’n contingent.

oscillatewildly

Agree with everything you state except the issue of away form - It won't be improving. Well, not by much. Unfortunately some things are just stuck on.
That said, I'm buzzing for the game tomorrow.

Ash

Agree with everything you state except the issue of away form - It won't be improving. Well, not by much. Unfortunately some things are just stuck on.
That said, I'm buzzing for the game tomorrow.

Why would you say it WON’T be improving? Remember our away form in the title winning season was awful til Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscillatewildly

Why would you say it WON’T be improving? Remember our away form in the title winning season was awful til Christmas!

Because some things are STUCK ON. And we're now playing in a far more highly competitive league than the one you've quoted.

mds

We do play Hull next though who we should be beating
I would hope so, but it is the City!
Win your home games, dont lose away. If we beat Derby then follow that up at Hull we will have 8pts from 8 games away from home. 29pts from 15 games, promotion form with a third of the season gone.

Should have beaten Preston
Add QPR and Barnsley to that, we should be at least 2 pts better off, we have played well when we have won our games, first half QPR we should of been out of site, same Barnsley over the 90.

Grendel

Should have beaten Preston

we were poor against Preston even Robins admitted he made poor decisions. I do hope we haven’t agreed some dumb arrangement with Chelsea we have to keep playing Maatsen as he’s not a wing back when you need to defend - he looks more a wide left midfielder to me

skybluesam66

I would hope so, but it is the City!
Win your home games, dont lose away. If we beat Derby then follow that up at Hull we will have 8pts from 8 games away from home. 29pts from 15 games, promotion form with a third of the season gone.

Add QPR and Barnsley to that, we should be at least 2 pts better off, we have played well when we have won our games, first half QPR we should of been out of site, same Barnsley over the 90.
offsetting that we have some 97th minute winners
we are probably where we should be

Ash

Because some things are STUCK ON. And we're now playing in a far more highly competitive league than the one you've quoted.

Disagree with that. Yes we’re in a higher league now, but the comparative home form is better now than that lg1 season and it just took one result for it all to click into place away from home which I believe can be the same this season.

rob9872

we were poor against Preston even Robins admitted he made poor decisions. I do hope we haven’t agreed some dumb arrangement with Chelsea we have to keep playing Maatsen as he’s not a wing back when you need to defend - he looks more a wide left midfielder to me
Not sure I agree since he was ranked 1st on tackles made. I think the problem weds was no JCS next to him. A natural leftie means he can push on more and receive better balls in better areas. We saw it when Hyam was there last season and not so much a criticism of Rose's general play, as being unfamiliar in the position.

Evo1883

Not sure I agree since he was ranked 1st on tackles made. I think the problem weds was no JCS next to him. A natural leftie means he can push on more and receive better balls in better areas. We saw it when Hyam was there last season and not so much a criticism of Rose's general play, as being unfamiliar in the position.

To be fair (Irrespective of your opinions on certain players )
Some of the stats I see thrown around today are as meaningless as they come and come totally without context , he's not making tackles alot because he's Dennis irwin is he ?

Nick

Administrator
It baffles me that people don't realise that we can have shit performances that annoy people regardless of where we are in the league.

Of course if we have things like Preston and Luton then people will be pissed off regardless, it's so weird.

Sky Blue Pete

It baffles me that people don't realise that we can have shit performances that annoy people regardless of where we are in the league.

Of course if we have things like Preston and Luton then people will be pissed off regardless, it's so weird.
As weird as others not having the perspective that we are way ahead of where we thought we’d be?

Evo1883

I don't think it's that , I was annoyed at Preston, travelled hours and got home at 1 30 am .
I didn't react like many on here .. lad I know too said players need to take a long hard look at themselves and he can't get excited at the moment 🤣 fucking 4th , fuck knows what it would be like if we hit a truly bad patch

rob9872

To be fair (Irrespective of your opinions on certain players )
Some of the stats I see thrown around today are as meaningless as they come and come totally without context , he's not making tackles alot because he's Dennis irwin is he ?
If he was Denis irwin we wouldn't have him though. He's a young kid learning his trade and I was merely pointing out that if he makes a lot if tackles then he's doing enough to suggest that he could make it as a wingback in contrast to the post I was replying to suggesting he was out of his depth there.

Evo1883

If he was Denis irwin we wouldn't have him though. He's a young kid learning his trade and I was merely pointing out that if he makes a lot if tackles then he's doing enough to suggest that he could make it as a wingback in contrast to the post I was replying to suggesting he was out of his depth there.

If I could add to that stat I would say he's also the player I've seen rinsed the most this season.. I do see how important he is to our overall play though , especially forward play .

Midweek was a rough game though tbh , both wingbacks struggled

Grendel

If I could add to that stat I would say he's also the player I've seen rinsed the most this season.. I do see how important he is to our overall play though , especially forward play .

Midweek was a rough game though tbh , both wingbacks struggled

he of course could make the most tackles as hes out of position and tries to recover or concedes possession and tries to recover..

Users who are viewing this thread