Reality check (1 Viewer)

ms639

Fuck me I knew there would be a meltdown on here after Preston but it truly is of epic proportions.

We need to remember the plan that has been put in place. The league this year is the hardest it has been in recent memory. There is likely to be 1 or maybe even 2 teams finishing on 90+ points and not getting promoted.

DK and MR made a very intentional decision in the summer to go for permanent signings over loans and built a squad that is competitive over a sustained period of time.

We have seen time and time again when teams throw the kitchen sink at one season and don’t make it, it destroys the club for years. See Leeds, Derby, Reading etc etc.

I hate to break it but this season is not our year and it was never planned to be our year. Finishing in the play offs with the turnover of players we had in the summer and the strength of the sides that came down would be a very very successful season.

Next year and the year after are the ones to judge the project on. We’ll have no loans going back and big hitters (wright, tats etc) will know the league and what it requires.

Saw some idiot on the robins thread posting that if we don’t get the play offs this year he should go. Never seen so much rubbish.

24/25 and 25/26 seasons will be our big pushes and I genuinely think with the quality of the teams coming down next year we could and should be looking for autos.

Keep the faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DionDublinsJockstrap

Fuck me I knew there would be a meltdown on here after Preston but it truly is of epic proportions.

We need to remember the plan that has been put in place. The league this year is the hardest it has been in recent memory. There is likely to be 1 or maybe even 2 teams finishing on 90+ points and not getting promoted.

DK and MR made a very intentional decision in the summer to go for permanent signings over loans and built a squad that is competitive over a sustained period of time.

We have seen time and time again when teams throw the kitchen sink at one season and don’t make it, it destroys the club for years. See Leeds, Derby, Reading etc etc.

I hate to break it but this season is not our year and it was never planned to be our year. Finishing in the play offs with the turnover of players we had in the summer and the strength of the sides that came down would be a very very successful season.

Next year and the year after are the ones to judge the project on. We’ll have no loans going back and big hitters (wright, tats etc) will know the league and what it requires.

Saw some idiot on the robins thread posting that if we don’t get the play offs this year he should go. Never seen so much rubbish.

24/25 and 25/26 seasons will be our big pushes and I genuinely think with the quality of the teams coming down next year we could and should be looking for autos.

Keep the faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy_Martian

We joked about the meltdowns on Sunderland's RTG forum. The reactions of some posters here exceed even their craziness.

I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. This was ALWAYS going to be a rebuilding year. Fuck me, there were a fair few on here saying it in September. The player changes, the slow start. This was never going to be a year with prizes. The playoffs weren't planned. If anything they would be a bonus.

But here we are, ahead of schedule. And some fans are already showing excessive amounts of entitlement and greed. Why didn't we spend millions in January ? Why did we leave ourselves so short ? BECAUSE THAT WASN'T THE PLAN !

Robins has already said he's got eyes on Europe for the summer transfer window. He's sticking with the plan.

As a fanbase, we are becoming what we hate about others. We need to show more maturity in the stands and on here, stop being so demanding and understand this season is a growing one. Next season, we put in a strong challenge for autos.

Tommo1993

To be fair that’s Robins own quote from the other night.

He also said the players need to suck up any criticism after the game from fans as it’s deserved.

Then I’m concerned for his memory as it really wasn’t long ago that he was quoted saying he didn’t want that in the ground and we need to stick with them. Worst performance of the season, yes.

“For years”? Laughable.

Otis

We joked about the meltdowns on Sunderland's RTG forum. The reactions of some posters here exceed even their craziness.

I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. This was ALWAYS going to be a rebuilding year. Fuck me, there were a fair few on here saying it in September. The player changes, the slow start. This was never going to be a year with prizes. The playoffs weren't planned. If anything they would be a bonus.

But here we are, ahead of schedule. And some fans are already showing excessive amounts of entitlement and greed. Why didn't we spend millions in January ? Why did we leave ourselves so short ? BECAUSE THAT WASN'T THE PLAN !

Robins has already said he's got eyes on Europe for the summer transfer window. He's sticking with the plan.

As a fanbase, we are becoming what we hate about others. We need to show more maturity in the stands and on here, stop being so demanding and understand this season is a growing one. Next season, we put in a strong challenge for autos.
Yeah and I got loads of stick for saying I would prefer the FA Cup to promotion and that was even after I explained i meant NOW, based on this season and not being ready for the Premier and that the cup after tomorrow 🤞 is just three wins away. 😂

I know there's more chance of me dating Kate Winslet, but still.

The restraining order sort of put an end to that anyway.

We are building a squad.

Grendel

I don’t see why it’s a rebuilding year when one of the teams above us has had a greater turnover of staff and another having been promoted last season has lost only 4 games.

West Brom were being widely derided as facing financial ruin but have bought in 7 or 8 players. Norwich also have regrouped and look stronger

Preston have 8 incomers this season as well.

All clubs strengthen pre season and the 3 premier relegated clubs will be favourites as ever.

Tommo1993

To be fair it absolutely was

It wasn’t. Worst performance in less than a year. It really doesn’t eclipse some performances in the last few years.

If we were shit enough to lose on Monday, people would say it’s the worst performance in years, despite only saying it a day before about the previous result.

alexccfc99

It wasn’t. Worst performance in less than a year. It really doesn’t eclipse some performances in the last few years.

If we were shit enough to lose on Monday, people would say it’s the worst performance in years, despite only saying it a day before about the previous result.
Friday was the worst team performance I have seen in my own personal opinion since Robins come back, easily

Disastrous defending, was barely able to string a pass together, pretty toothless in attack - everything just looked massively disjointed

Otis

I don’t see why it’s a rebuilding year when one of the teams above us has had a greater turnover of staff and another having been promoted last season has lost only 4 games.

West Brom were being widely derided as facing financial ruin but have bought in 7 or 8 players. Norwich also have regrouped and look stronger

All clubs strengthen pre season and the 3 premier relegated clubs will be favourites as ever.
When we brought all these new players in, on paper, it seemed to me we were in for a great year, but it's taken so long for many of the players to get going. I do think it will be next year now before we see the best of the likes of Simms etc.

Grendel

When we brought all these new players in, on paper, it seemed to me we were in for a great year, but it's taken so long for many of the players to get going. I do think it will be next year now before we see the best of the likes of Simms etc.

Robins has said the squad still is far too small

We in effect have only 2 forwards

If Binks goes back we have two actual centre halves

Goalkeepers aren’t great

Da silva has failed as a purchase and Bidwell is starting to creak and isn’t favoured anyway

O Hare will go

Fringe players like Kelly need replacing

We need 6 or 7 players again next seaso

Calista

It's a rebuilding year with further improvements still planned for the squad. We are also trying to make the playoffs if possible. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

The difficulty of bringing in targets in January, together with recent injuries, has made the playoffs very hard to achieve this season, but we'll have a better chance next year. I'm fine with that.

Grendel

It's a rebuilding year with further improvements still planned for the squad. We are also trying to make the playoffs if possible. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

The difficulty of bringing in targets in January, together with recent injuries, has made the playoffs very hard to achieve this season, but we'll have a better chance next year. I'm fine with that.

I don’t see the logic in that

Otis

Robins has said the squad still is far too small

We in effect have only 2 forwards

If Binks goes back we have two actual centre halves

Goalkeepers aren’t great

Da silva has failed as a purchase and Bidwell is starting to creak and isn’t favoured anyway

O Hare will go

Fringe players like Kelly need replacing

We need 6 or 7 players again next seaso
Yeah, you may well be right.

Would be nice if we could create a backbone of two excellent centre backs, a top keeper and a 20 goal a season striker.

I am not too unhappy at all with the middle of the park, with Torp, Sheaf and Eccles. Probably just need one more in there.

Then a replacement for O'Hare.

stupot07

You've got to say, whilst the signing of Torp was a quality one, the January window is what will ultimately kill our chances this season.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Governmac

Basically this. I’ve always seen this year as a “free hit” Would have been a big ask to make the play offs again after losing Gyok and Hamer.

But still plenty of points to play for.

Grendel

We are building the squad to try and get promotion. It's an ongoing process that will continue to improve our chances each year. What's illogical about that?

Well because a lot of teams do exactly the same every season and as I’ve said some have signed as many as us and are in the top 6

Grendel

The other assumption here also is Simms will to coin a phrase “come good”

There is certainly no assurance of that

Tommo1993

He explicitly didn’t forget Stoke last season he said it was worse. 2019 was five years ago, so “years”

Just feels people are talking months instead of years, or one or two years. As I’ve said, people will say that at least once every season. There’s always a “worst performance for years”, every season.

Ccfcisparks

Norwich had 11 players who started yesterday who were there last year.

Preston had 8 players who started Friday who were there last year.

West Brom had 10 players who started yesterday who were there last year.

we had 3 on Friday.

why do you constantly spout this totally spun bollocks to spread negativity on here.

If you really think Sheffield United will come down and be a favourite you are utterly deluded.

ProfessorbyGrace

It doesn’t help fans expectations when we go 18-odd matches with only 2 defeats, and climb into the top 6, only then to hit a patch where we have key players out and have to rotate some players because of accumulated fatigue. Which then disrupts the rhythm somewhat.

I think, in all probability, our lack of a consistent attacking threat (which carried us over the line last season) is what’s going to scupper any push this season. We don’t have that established ‘spine’ and, admittedly, MR must still be looking for pieces of the puzzle.

For me, making the play offs is a bridge too far for this squad, with key injuries to key players, and a lack of consistent attacking depth.

Just my take, so meh. I tend to expect the worst, so if it happens, I’m already prepared. 😊

Grendel

Norwich had 11 players who started yesterday who were there last year.

Preston had 8 players who started Friday who were there last year.

West Brom had 10 players who started yesterday who were there last year.

we had 3 on Friday.

why do you constantly spout this totally spun bollocks to spread negativity on here.

If you really think Sheffield United will come down and be a favourite you are utterly deluded.

Of course they will be a favourite - it’s the same as the nonsense last year that the clubs coming down were in financial trouble and Ipswich were being mocked as the new Barcelona

We should have had Bidwell starting and the likes of Allen, sheaf would if not injured and given the issues Kelly should have started.

Hull of course you don’t reference

There is zero logic to suggest we will be better next season than we are now until the end of the season

Ccfcisparks

It doesn’t help fans expectations when we go 18-odd matches with only 2 defeats, and climb into the top 6, only then to hit a patch where we have key players out and have to rotate some players because of accumulated fatigue. Which then disrupts the rhythm somewhat.

I think, in all probability, our lack of a consistent attacking threat (which carried us over the line last season) is what’s going to scupper any push this season. We don’t have that established ‘spine’ and, admittedly, MR must still be looking for pieces of the puzzle.

For me, making the play offs is a bridge too far for this squad, with key injuries to key players, and a lack of consistent attacking depth.

Just my take, so meh. I tend to expect the worst, so if it happens, I’m already prepared. 😊
In October people were saying we were gonna get relegated or be in a relegation battle ffs

we really are a ridiculously fickle bunch.

Grendel

In October people were saying we were gonna get relegated or be in a relegation battle ffs

we really are a ridiculously fickle bunch.

Emotional

Users who are viewing this thread