Referee (4 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Now that’s a perceptive question and I’m not surprised as you are both intelligent and love football

So if we are discussing a direct free kick the pundits and managers will say things like it’s an obvious or not an obvious free kick and use terms like he got the ball or anyone who knows football can see that’s a foul and if he gives a foul it has to be a rc or yc. Black white intuitive even. A reflex decision rather than the decision having considered the variables

Just for a dfk and sanction the question isn’t just he pushed him free kick or he pulled him or he tripped him it’s where is it on the pitch? It’s where is it during the game? It’s what sort of game it’s been and what proper game management constitutes as to the decision expected. There’s also a little of where the ref is have they seen it? Are they too close or too far away

So decision taken and ref should be able to say you pulled him or you tripped him or whatever it was and also both were battling so no foul or as at the start of the season football agreed to allow more physicality then push wasn’t forceful enough see the Gabriel incident

Then you come onto sanction. Again where was it for a denial of goal scoring or stopping a promising attack and then a measure of careless just a free kick reckless yc or excessive force or endangering an opponent rc

When observed refs have to answer why a decision and sanction was taken and should be able to.

I’ve watched as my lad has said to a coach for a last min pen. You were on the side of the pitch I was 5m away it didn’t hit the players hand I didn’t give a pen
Coach response - you bottled it lol

You can’t argue with it’s a yc you can argue with it was a yc as the tackle was reckless in my opinion

The participants are talking a different language
It's ok the ref saying they are 5 yards away but what about in stadiums when fans can see something is wrong and then replays confirm it, even though the ref was 5 yards away.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's ok the ref saying they are 5 yards away but what about in stadiums when fans can see something is wrong and then replays confirm it, even though the ref was 5 yards away.
Then the ref has made a big mistake, it happens. Sadly happened against us quite a bit so far.

Nick

Administrator
Then the ref has made a big mistake, it happens. Sadly happened against us quite a bit so far.
Which means refs shouldn't really be giving it the "I was 5 yards away" attitude.

Playing Sunday mornings a few years ago you would often get refs who thought they were doing the champions League final and others who were on the same level as the players and just had a laugh.

Brighton Sky Blue

Which means refs shouldn't really be giving it the "I was 5 yards away" attitude.

Playing Sunday mornings a few years ago you would often get refs who thought they were doing the champions League final and others who were on the same level as the players and just had a laugh.
I’m sure you had players who also took themselves too seriously. We can’t get enough referees in the first place which is how you end up with poorer quality at the top. So really it starts with changing things at the grassroots and being patient.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s not so much giving it the I was 5 yards away proving a point but the nature of decision making
It’s also why anyone who’s not given it a go needs to do so as it gives you a different perspective and if you’re going to be a pundit or coach or manage you really should make sure you know enough about the laws to engage

As bsb says mistakes happen
If there’s no corruption or bias - which I’m happy if someone wants to show facts and evidence, then I think all have to work together to improve decision making and how does that happen in normal activity

High expectation
Feedback and review
Development and discussion

All of which could be better

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I watched Gary O'Neil after match interview and thought his comments were very rationale considering what his team suffered last night and so far this season .Sooner or later decisions have to go his way on law of averages. The time it takes to make decisions with VAR involved and still they get it wrong.
"Headbutt not agressive enough" come on .What do you want blood everywhere ?By it's very nature a headbutt on a football pitch should be a sending off affair.Pete you know the rules better than me why did Ream not go when Wolves got their pen?
Managers fall by such bad decisions we are seeing more and more when refs. have all the technology at hand.

Sky Blue Pete

I watched Gary O'Neil after match interview and thought his comments were very rationale considering what his team suffered last night and so far this season .Sooner or later decisions have to go his way on law of averages. The time it takes to make decisions with VAR involved and still they get it wrong.
"Headbutt not agressive enough" come on .What do you want blood everywhere ?By it's very nature a headbutt on a football pitch should be a sending off affair.Pete you know the rules better than me why did Ream not go when Wolves got their pen?
Managers fall by such bad decisions we are seeing more and more when refs. have all the technology at hand.
Haven’t seen it I’m sorry
Normally if it’s a genuine attempt for the ball it’s yc not rc in the box

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Haven’t seen it I’m sorry
Normally if it’s a genuine attempt for the ball it’s yc not rc in the box
I didn't think it was a genuine attempt but even a yellow card didn't appear he was booked in the first half .The head butt i've said enough about that.If you went tonight what were your thoughts on the linesman our side of the pitch.

wingy

When we put the ball in the net in that game whenever it was the technology didn't give it and we were stunned,that ball wasn't as far over so it wasn't out.

SkyBlue_Bear83

It looked out but impossible for anyone on the pitch to be certain. Play to the whistle, great goal.
Linesman said it was only half out, those were the words of the plymouth manager.

Not that his vision was obscured or he couldn't be sure, and linesman had the best view on the pitch and much better than some screen shots from TV from a very poor angle to judge.

pusbccfc

Some baffling decisions went against us.

pusbccfc

Linesman said it was only half out, those were the words of the plymouth manager.

Not that his vision was obscured or he couldn't be sure, and linesman had the best view on the pitch and much better than some screen shots from TV from a very poor angle to judge.

He's right

Sky Blue Pete

I didn't think it was a genuine attempt but even a yellow card didn't appear he was booked in the first half .The head butt i've said enough about that.If you went tonight what were your thoughts on the linesman our side of the pitch.
Thought the ref was 85/100 tonight
Assistants have it tough. Thought it wasn’t a free kick but I’m behind the goal the other end and one offside not given looked off but I’m behind the goal
As a team I thought they were good

bigfatronssba

Lets be honest with ourselves, there is no way on earth that goal should've stood.

However, those sort of decisions are what balance out all the poor decisions that go against us. We would've drew against Preston and possibly West Brom for instance if it wasn't for the ref.

Mcbean

Edwards their number 8 cut Saka in half several times and escaped censure but on a purely unbiased opinion the ball was in both referee and linesman were correct and love good football

Sick Boy

I’m beginning to think there isn’t actually some kind of conspiracy against us after last night.

Reactions: SBT

Nick

Administrator
The Ref and the lino on the side opposite the bench were awful.

Pretty sure at the start of the game one of our players kicked it out and he gave a goal kick.

David O'Day

The Ref and the lino on the side opposite the bench were awful.

Pretty sure at the start of the game one of our players kicked it out and he gave a goal kick.
yep, he did give a goal kick when it was a nailed on corner at one stage

Mcbean

I think someone above had the right answer - the ref was blocked and the linesman could'nt rightly say the ball was out as he also could'nt see it - we deserved a bit of fortune as there were two offsides that were'nt and we ( possibly) could have scored either - luck ran our way - onwards and upwards

Users who are viewing this thread