Referee (3 Viewers)

Frostie

it's a good read, but surely with all the slush money swilling around at the top levels, they should be having the best tech available??

I could have produced a better picture on Sunday with an old Polaroid Instamatic. lol
Yep but you're still chasing the impossible.

As I always expected, VAR has made the game far, far worse & actually leads to more Ref abuse. They should have just invested that money into properly supporting, training & recruiting referees.

shmmeee

Brilliant piece this.

Really good, but i think dodges the VAR question and paints it as an inevitability. Which is disappointing as it seemed to identify VAR as partly responsible for the rise in scrutiny of refs.

I’d like to see another approach. Much stricter rules about respecting officials brought in. Such as only the captain allowed to talk or an instant yellow. Along with maybe mics on refs to broadcast or at least record what’s being said both ways.

But also remove VAR, give the ref the ability to request a 30 second review of footage at the sidelines maybe. But for me VAR undermines the refs authority on the pitch and places unreasonable expectations on everyone involved. It’s not just a communication issue as the article suggests at time.

robbiethemole

I agree, but VAR should only be an advisory tool to help refs get the correct decision, it shouldn’t be used as the be-all and end-all
It should be like Rugby, highlighting foul play etc, that the ref misses, but only used if the ref asks for it on crucial decisions

Otis

Yep but you're still chasing the impossible.

As I always expected, VAR has made the game far, far worse & actually leads to more Ref abuse. They should have just invested that money into properly supporting, training & recruiting referees.
Or just use it for clear things the officials have missed, like "the player came from his own half" and foul play such as shirt pulling, elbowing, punching etc.

The goal line technology seems to work okay doesn't it?

Basically, stop using it for everything.

MalcSB

Or just use it for clear things the officials have missed, like "the player came from his own half" and foul play such as shirt pulling, elbowing, punching etc.

I really get sick of the shirt pulling. My theory remains that we should have shirts that tear easily if pulled - that would both leave the player free to carry on with the move and leave the shirt puller with a handful of torn shirt and clearly committed a foul

Brighton Sky Blue

I really get sick of the shirt pulling. My theory remains that we should have shirts that tear easily if pulled - that would both leave the player free to carry on with the move and leave the shirt puller with a handful of torn shirt and clearly committed a foul
Plus the replicas could still be sold for £60 each and need replacing dozens of times a season

shmmeee

Said in the other thread, I think it should be up to the ref to have a look at a replay if he wants. I think the whole idea of VAR undermines refs authority and you’re just replacing one fallible ref with another. May as well stick with the one you’ve got.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Corners would be more like a Chippendales performance.

ccfc922

If only we had VAR

I don't personally have an issue with VAR if used for its intended purpose of clear and obvious errors.

The scaling down for a toe nail, then manipulating the frames to make the player offside is a joke.

Also, the 25 degree angle of the cameras. There should be multiple cameras every so often or on a rail that moves with the play.

Nuskyblue

I don't personally have an issue with VAR if used for its intended purpose of clear and obvious errors.

The scaling down for a toe nail, then manipulating the frames to make the player offside is a joke.

Also, the 25 degree angle of the cameras. There should be multiple cameras every so often or on a rail that moves with the play.
The angles I've seen in some of the sporting games seem to be like this. It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to implement.

pusbccfc

Ref come off it

ccfc922

Completely ignored Palmer being dragged back and couldn't wait to the red out then.

Getting fed up of these cunts. Every fucking game, fuck off.

ccfc922

The bullshit with Eustace and Palmer too, the ref only gave the throw in based on Blackburn player's reactions....

stupot07

Robins had no complaints about Kitchings Red other than Kitching needs to cut it out and should have been in a better position defensively. He seemed more pissed off with Kitching.

jim20

When there’s so much money involved, if those bad decisions hadn’t gone against us we could be in the playoffs and the prem, it’s just horrendous that still nothing is being done about it. The only consistent thing with the refs over the last few months have been the wrong decisions against us, some of the worst being the two goals for Southampton

pusbccfc

He never calls out decisions unless it costs us and then it is slyly like saying we got an apology letter from the EFL

Even those aren't really much.

I guess we don't want him to be one of those managers that's calling them out every week but ultimately major decisions are going against us on a weekly occurrence now.

MalcSB

In terms of crap refs generally:-

Why didn’t Onana even get booked for double punching someone in the face?

What on earth was Anthony Taylor doing stopping play for no reason when West Ham’s keeper gave up possession of the ball when play was live?

Users who are viewing this thread