Relegation & Points Deduction (1 Viewer)

John_Silletts_Nose

If CCFC survive relegation by less than 5 points could this open the possibility of a relegated club suing the football league for not enforcing a 15 point deduction on CCFC for liquidation as per their stated 15 point statutory penalty and relegating CCFC instead.

In august the football league statement was:
"CCFC Ltd [the company that entered administration] will be put into liquidation after ACL failed to accept the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) put forward by the administrator.
"Rather than the statutory 15-point penalty, the club will now receive a 10-point deduction going into the new season while the awarding of the membership of the Football League provides certainty for the future."

I suspect that should any relegated club sue the Football League and have the money to pursue the action then this would trigger law suits from Otium as well.

We all known that the Football League run scared from litigation and the rules are discretionary but should a relegated club take action it could be interesting and expose the Football league to negative publicity.

chiefdave

The problem you have is that the FL won't issue a golden share for next season to anyone who is suing them so everyone has little choice but to accept what they have decided. The same could apply in L2 with Pompey. They got their points deduction last season when already relegated when every previous case (since the rule change to prevent manipulation) saw it carried over to the next season.

crowsnest

The problem you have is that the FL won't issue a golden share for next season to anyone who is suing them so everyone has little choice but to accept what they have decided. The same could apply in L2 with Pompey. They got their points deduction last season when already relegated when every previous case (since the rule change to prevent manipulation) saw it carried over to the next season.

They would be facing relegation from league 2 if the points were deducted this season as they should have been.

Sterling Archer

Nah, this won't happen.

In the same way, Sheffield United were never going to get reinstated to the Prem over that whole West Ham/Tevez shenanigans.

Astute

The FL make the rules. And one of them is that they can bend them when they want to.

rupert_bear

Fisher and Waggott would back any club looking to lengthen our points deduction from 10 to 15 if it fulfils their quest to get us relegated to division 4

duffer

Football League 'Rules', don't make me laugh.

It's more like the Pirate's Code, and as you may recall from the movies 'the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.'

:)

torchomatic

You could always write them a letter and complain that we haven't been relegated. That would show 'em, wouldn't it?

FFS, I can't believe what I read on here sometimes.

If CCFC survive relegation by less than 5 points could this open the possibility of a relegated club suing the football league for not enforcing a 15 point deduction on CCFC for liquidation as per their stated 15 point statutory penalty and relegating CCFC instead.

"CCFC Ltd [the company that entered administration] will be put into liquidation after ACL failed to accept the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) put forward by the administrator.
"Rather than the statutory 15-point penalty, the club will now receive a 10-point deduction going into the new season while the awarding of the membership of the Football League provides certainty for the future."

I suspect that should any relegated club sue the Football League and have the money to pursue the action then this would trigger law suits from Otium as well.

We all known that the Football League run scared from litigation and the rules are discretionary but should a relegated club take action it could be interesting and expose the Football league to negative publicity.

Warwickhunt

Fisher and Waggott would back any club looking to lengthen our points deduction from 10 to 15 if it fulfils their quest to get us relegated to division 4
what a Plank you are!!!!

Sky Blue Harry H

You could always write them a letter and complain that we haven't been relegated. That would show 'em, wouldn't it?

FFS, I can't believe what I read on here sometimes.

Come on Torchy, one third of what is written on here is by you:wave::D !!

ohitsaidwalker king power

FFS cheer me up why don't you...:( ;)

John_Silletts_Nose

Nah, this won't happen.

In the same way, Sheffield United were never going to get reinstated to the Prem over that whole West Ham/Tevez shenanigans.

I agree with you that it's unlikely but I bet some chairmen have looked into it.

That is not a comparable case as it involved third party player ownership under Premier League rules which were vague and it had to be proved that Tevez actually contributed to the points which West Ham won.

The rules have since been clarified in the Premier League, although they remain open to interpretation in the Football League.

Sterling Archer

I agree with you that it's unlikely but I bet some chairmen have looked into it.

That is not a comparable case as it involved third party player ownership under Premier League rules which were vague and it had to be proved that Tevez actually contributed to the points which West Ham won.

The rules have since been clarified in the Premier League, although they remain open to interpretation in the Football League.

I don't think there's ever been a precedent of further pts deductions on clubs once a season has finished, specifically to relegate them due to a complaint raised by an opposition club that would benefit from it, has there?

Last edited:

Astute

I don't think there's ever been a precedent of further pts deductions on clubs once a season has finished, specifically to relegate them due to a complaint raised by an opposition club that would benefit from it, has there?

Not yet......but they do seem to bend the rules when needed.

Don't think it will ever happen myself though as it would be like an admission that they were wrong the first time.

John_Silletts_Nose

True, the has not been and I do not expect there will be ... but the way things have gone for CCFC over the last few years I wouldn't bet against anything.

The Prefect

The problem you have is that the FL won't issue a golden share for next season to anyone who is suing them so everyone has little choice but to accept what they have decided.

It is my understanding (and am willing to be corrected) that clubs don't hand back shares every year. If you're not promoted to the Premier League or Relegated from League 2 then you hold your share. Only the clubs that leave the Football League transfer their shares to new members.

This is an interesting debate. The Football League do have rules - but they don't need to be applied if they don't want to... Seems like things are open to challenge at a future date when the Football League don't bend their rules to help SISU as they have up to now with the move to Sixfields and the points deduction....

Brighton Sky Blue

We shouldn't have received a fecking points deduction in the first place considering the League's complicity in this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread