Remote working in Europe (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Anyone got a clue about this? Been on a bunch of websites and none the wiser.

Work has just announced a policy that we can work from abroad in the EU or Switzerland for up to two weeks a year as long as we are legally entitled to. No issue for EU citizens, but U.K. nationals may need a short term visa.

How does this work? Do you need to apply to each country separately or is there an EU wide thing? What should I be looking for? Internet searching is just making me more confused and I know there’s a couple of people on here who work long term in the EU.

I just want to work by the pool in the sun instead of freezing Bedworth for a week or two :(

skybluetony176

Who work? I mean technically I could just not tell them, but if I were to do it by the book I mean.
Get an Irish Passport and reclaim your lost rights. If one of your parents and/or I believe grandparents was born on the island of Ireland, North or South, you automatically qualify for an Irish passport and dual nationality. Coventry Irish Society will even hold your hand through the process, do the online passport application, they even take your passport photo. Easy.

Nick

Administrator
Who work? I mean technically I could just not tell them, but if I were to do it by the book I mean.

Oh nooo I meant if you went to work in Spain for 2 weeks for example. Fair enough if you moved there forever but how would anybody know to make you get a Visa etc.

Grendel

Work has just announced a policy that we can work from abroad in the EU or Switzerland for up to two weeks a year as long as we are legally entitled to. No issue for EU citizens, but U.K. nationals may need a short term visa.

How does this work? Do you need to apply to each country separately or is there an EU wide thing? What should I be looking for? Internet searching is just making me more confused and I know there’s a couple of people on here who work long term in the EU.

I just want to work by the pool in the sun instead of freezing Bedworth for a week or two :(

Can’t you just book an Air B and B or whoever for two weeks? You don’t need to declare it’s for work and you are perfectly at liberty to take a lap top

napolimp

If you work remotely, would anyone actually know if you moved to Europe for 6 months and worked from there?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

In true SBT Simpsons reference fashion, there is 'the truth' and 'the truth'.

I do have a visa for The Netherlands, but I can tell you that none of it is really policed whatsoever. I travelled between the two countries last week and the guy couldn't see that I had been stamped out, so stamped me in and told me not to worry about it. This has happened four or five times now. Most of the time I don't even bother showing my residency card. I worked in Spain in the summer a bit too, and it also was zero issue then (and I travelled on my British passport).

Which country are you planning on going to just out of curiosity? If it is for a few weeks you would not need to declare anything. You are going on holiday generally speaking. Even if you stayed over three months, it is very unlikely anyone would even do anything. I would just go for said holiday and do your emails around the pool. Literally no one is going to care or be bothered.

shmmeee

In true SBT Simpsons reference fashion, there is 'the truth' and 'the truth'.

I do have a visa for The Netherlands, but I can tell you that none of it is really policed whatsoever. I travelled between the two countries last week and the guy couldn't see that I had been stamped out, so stamped me in and told me not to worry about it. This has happened four or five times now. Most of the time I don't even bother showing my residency card. I worked in Spain in the summer a bit too, and it also was zero issue then (and I travelled on my British passport).

Which country are you planning on going to just out of curiosity? If it is for a few weeks you would not need to declare anything. You are going on holiday generally speaking. Even if you stayed over three months, it is very unlikely anyone would even do anything. I would just go for said holiday and do your emails around the pool. Literally no one is going to care or be bothered.

Well NL maybe so the missus can visit family and somewhere sunny in Winter probably.

Just rang the Dutch embassy anyway and was told U.K. Nationals can work up to 90 days anywhere in the Schengen Area visa free so no worries.

The way work phrased it was you’d need a visa and they’d want to see proof before allowing it.

SAJ

Well NL maybe so the missus can visit family and somewhere sunny in Winter probably.

Just rang the Dutch embassy anyway and was told U.K. Nationals can work up to 90 days anywhere in the Schengen Area visa free so no worries.

The way work phrased it was you’d need a visa and they’d want to see proof before allowing it.
Do they mean that they want to see your ETIAS which as a uk citizen you will require from November this year? That will allow you to go to Europe and travel anywhere in the Schengen Area for 90 days.

shmmeee

Do they mean that they want to see your ETIAS which as a uk citizen you will require from November this year? That will allow you to go to Europe and travel anywhere in the Schengen Area for 90 days.

I assume he means right now as ETIAS hasn’t come in yet.

Grendel

Get an Irish Passport and reclaim your lost rights. If one of your parents and/or I believe grandparents was born on the island of Ireland, North or South, you automatically qualify for an Irish passport and dual nationality. Coventry Irish Society will even hold your hand through the process, do the online passport application, they even take your passport photo. Easy.

you don’t need an Irish passport to go to Europe for a few weeks or even months tony - I know the EU is a federal block but it’s not the USSR just yet

Sbarcher

For 2 weeks, it shouldn't matter. You are allowed 90 days in EU without a Visa. As for working, your tax designation is UK so will make no difference.

Sick Boy

You’d only need a visa if you were actually moving permanently and becoming tax resident/wanting to stay longer than 10 days.
It’s becoming more common for companies in the UK to offer this from what I can tell - fair play to them.
You’re welcome to come and work out of my home office and start ‘talking marketing shop’ from 6am if you like. 😉

shmmeee

I’m a whole department debate on Slack now. Apparently the legal advice the company has got is that you need a work visa if you’re working even one day outside the U.K. 🤦‍♂️

Grendel

I’m a whole department debate on Slack now. Apparently the legal advice the company has got is that you need a work visa if you’re working even one day outside the U.K. 🤦‍♂️

seems they are happy to offer it but don’t really want anyone to do it

shmmeee

seems they are happy to offer it but don’t really want anyone to do it

The narrative is “it’s mostly for EU citizens wanting to visit family”. They’re talking about digital nomad visas but from what I can tell most of them require you to be resident in the country.

Sick Boy

That’s nonsense - why would you need a visa to work remote from a country you’re not a resident or tax resident in? Those visas are for people living there as permanent residents for a period of time…3 months plus in the EU.

shmmeee

That’s nonsense - why would you need a visa to work remote from a country you’re not a resident or tax resident in? Those visas are for people living there as permanent residents for a period of time…3 months plus in the EU.

This is my argument. Seems the lawyers haven’t a clue what they’re on about

Sick Boy

This is my argument. Seems the lawyers haven’t a clue what they’re on about

The main difference between a tourist visa and a digital nomad visa is how long the holder can stay in the country.

Tourist visas are for short stays, typically up to 3 months, whilst digital nomad visas allow for longer stays, often 1 year or more.

Foreigners who wish to do some remote work whilst on holiday in Europe can do so with a tourist visa, or visa-free if from an exempt country.

shmmeee

Yeah been on that. My argument is it’s specifically for longer than 90 days. I mean the literal Dutch government literally laughed when I asked if I needed a visa for two weeks work. My place is being dumb and it’s not helped by a load of people who just want to go “grrr Brexit” in the replies.

Sbarcher

Yeah been on that. My argument is it’s specifically for longer than 90 days. I mean the literal Dutch government literally laughed when I asked if I needed a visa for two weeks work. My place is being dumb and it’s not helped by a load of people who just want to go “grrr Brexit” in the replies.
Back to the UK to watch a City game and the 90 day clock starts again.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think Julien DaCosta was running the pilot scheme for this?

fernandopartridge

The narrative is “it’s mostly for EU citizens wanting to visit family”. They’re talking about digital nomad visas but from what I can tell most of them require you to be resident in the country.
Isn't that discrimination on the part of the employer?

tisza

Spoke to a friend here in Budapest. If you're working remotely (but still getting paid in UK and not making money from Hungarian sources) for less than 90 days out 180 then it's fine in terms of visas and tax. Digital nomad visa for those that want to stay longer but Hungary's only valid for 12 months. Does seem individual EU countries have their own rules though.

Astute

If you work remotely, would anyone actually know if you moved to Europe for 6 months and worked from there?
You can only go for 90 days on a rolling 180 days.

But it is possible to get 9 months. Use up first 90 days. Apply for a 3 month visa whilst you are there. Go back to UK before 3 month visa starts and then travel back. Go back to UK at end of visa. By this time the rolling 180 days will have reached where the days spent in the EU will be coming off the end ao you have another 90 days.

Users who are viewing this thread