Rob Gurney (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

To join the existing team or as a replacement?

chiefdave

Be an odd move in the middle of huge cuts at local radio to bring Gurney in just for the phone ins but can't really see any reason for them to push Clive out of commentary.

Doesn't Gurney do commentary for someone at the moment. Certainly does the cricket in the summer, often with Clive.

Sick Boy

Be an odd move in the middle of huge cuts at local radio to bring Gurney in just for the phone ins but can't really see any reason for them to push Clive out of commentary.

Doesn't Gurney do commentary for someone at the moment. Certainly does the cricket in the summer, often with Clive.
Villa, I think.

fernandopartridge

West Brom

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

JulianDarbyFTW

I really enjoyed Rob Gurney's commentary, but at times he seemed to be really downbeat during games - being a fan when your team is playing shit is bad at the best of times, and I don't think he was able to keep his emotions in check. I distinctly remember a game when Tony Cottee scored 2 or 3, and I thought he was going to off himself.

Wasn't he initially replaced by Geoff Foster, with Clive then coming in a year or so later? Or is my memory playing tricks?

donald_trumps

Personally, I hope Clive continues to do the main commentary, he’s a very decent local level commentator and clearly has developed a strong affinity to the club.
Honestly - these Cov fans are unbelievable. Clive has been consistently dogshit for many years. I have had to stop listening. He can’t even get the players’ names right for good sake! Get him out the exit door ASAP along with Boddy!

Gynnsthetonic

I revealed this a few weeks ago to some select colleagues, another itk point for me

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I heard this to from a presenter who I won't name, I'm not to fussed about him coming back, a bit like a former player who is not as good as he once was. I quite like Clive, very knowledge guy.

Grendel

He wasn’t very good as a commentator and he and Adam dent were awful on phone ins

JulianDarbyFTW

Honestly - these Cov fans are unbelievable. Clive has been consistently dogshit for many years. I have had to stop listening. He can’t even get the players’ names right for good sake! Get him out the exit door ASAP along with Boddy!
Bit harsh, pal. He's changed a lot since he started. At first he was very unattached to the club and was just as excited at us conceding as scoring, but now he's almost as sky blue as the rest of us. I've listened to a lot of away ifollow commentary since lockdown, and it might be hard to believe, but Clive's up there with the best.

Grendel

He was an excellent commentator. Do you have to find a reason to moan at anything?

Werent you moaning all day yesterday about shirts

Brighton Sky Blue

When you listen to most of the other commentators on other Championship clubs, you could do a lot worse than Clive and Oggy. Stoke’s insisted we had a Hymen in defence for 2 years

Grendel

Please not Adam Dent, couldn't stand him

He works in PR now and I think founded Advent - he does some work for a networking group in Coventry still (or did last year)

Boicey

Gurney was excellent and you could feel he was a passionate city fan which was a real plus.
Clive has always had a bumbling irritating edge but he is a solid pro. If Gurney is back in the fold you suspect clive's days might be numbered.

Gynnsthetonic

He works in PR now and I think founded Advent - he does some work for a networking group in Coventry still (or did last year)
He had such an irrating voice and was totally arrogant towards CCFC as if we were some tinpot club. He was a Wolves fan too which didn't help 💩

Grendel

Gurney was excellent and you could feel he was a passionate city fan which was a real plus.
Clive has always had a bumbling irritating edge but he is a solid pro. If Gurney is back in the fold you suspect clive's days might be numbered.

All gurney had was the fact he was a Coventry fan which he blathered on about every game.

He and Geoff Foster were a double act which made Les Dennis and Dustin Gee look like comedy legends

Gynnsthetonic

Yes Gurney is a Sky Blues fan, but you can't beat Clive when City score, very passionate, I know he's a Tranmere fan but I feel he gives a much more balanced view. Don't really get the desicion with all the cuts at local BBC radio

Hobo

If anybody listened to the commentary from Wimbledon in the cup, it was like a day out for two blokes and a woman who were watching a football game for the first time in their lives.

Clive and Oggy are very good. Ok they make the odd mistake but that is live radio for you. Nothing wrong with having a chuckle it does you good.

Last edited:

pusbccfc

Seems to me like CCFC draw some of the biggest listener figures from CWR these days. Hence why they now have two phone ins during the week alongside the usual Saturday coverage.

SKYBLUES90

Bit harsh, pal. He's changed a lot since he started. At first he was very unattached to the club and was just as excited at us conceding as scoring, but now he's almost as sky blue as the rest of us. I've listened to a lot of away ifollow commentary since lockdown, and it might be hard to believe, but Clive's up there with the best.

Have to agree, Yes him and oggy get names/teams mixed up abit but it all adds into the fun.

Swansea game I couldn’t get the CWR commentary to work so switched to the away comms. Any time we had the ball their comms team were silent and really only added comms when Swansea had the ball.

torchomatic

I. Like. Clive.

RegTheDonk

Grown quite fond of Clive over the years and think him and Oggy are a good combination ... actually enjoy the occasional gaff it's all good fun.

The only flaw with Clive IMHO he has tended to salute the corportate flag on occasion and talk people down if they're too critical of the club. Loved Gurney because he's a City fan, if he takes on the phone in's and presenting hopefully he'll allow sensible discussion.

Sick Boy

The only flaw with Clive IMHO he has tended to salute the corportate flag on occasion and talk people down if they're too critical of the club.
I think it's more of a case of him trying to be balanced, plus it's his livelihood.

Reactions: AOM

Users who are viewing this thread