Robins' tactics Vs Norwich (1 Viewer)

shepardo01

Absolutely spot on...
But for a lapse at the back, would have been nigh on perfect.
For those questioning Hadji and Simms when Norwich had the ball Infront of them, this explains that them standing off was planned and to the benefit of CCFC, and exactly what they were asked to do.
@Frostie - you'll appreciate this.
A good and interesting read. (Thread of tweets)
(Plus a good insight into some of the finer tactical aspects of this particular game)

Last edited:

Essexrobbie

OMG... I remember when football used to be simple...now its becoming more like somethings the americans play, with that funny shaped thing, while all their coaches on the line feed them instructions on what to do next and where to throw it. :rolleyes: 🏈

Frostie

Absolutely spot on...
But for a lapse at the back, would have been nigh on perfect.
For those questioning Hadji and Simms when Norwich had the ball Infront of them, this explains that them standing off was planned and to the benefit of CCFC, and exactly what they were asked to do.
@Frostie - you'll appreciate this.
A good and interesting read. (Thread of tweets)
(Plus a good insight into some of the finer tactical aspects of this particular game)

Yeah, I read it this morning & then @Tomh111 posted it in another thread too 👍🏻
I said at the weekend it was the perfect tactic & the front 2 executed it well.
The only issue came once they were in front as we had to be a little less patient!

slowpoke

Got the tactics correct, the eleven that started was bang on and the subs the right time too, although there’s always luck with own goals forgetting that Norwich were very lucky to escape with a draw.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Fuck me. Brian Clough would be turning in his grave with all this tactical overthinking bollocks.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Excellent thread. Interesting point he makes at the end about that game being one of the more passive presses Norwich have used under Wagner.

I often think (eye test only, zero stats to back it up) that we've struggled against teams with a high pressing intensity - often results in us rushing our decisions/going long/giving away possession, so find it a bit odd that their game plan was to basically let us have it in our own half

wingy

Excellent thread. Interesting point he makes at the end about that game being one of the more passive presses Norwich have used under Wagner.

I often think (eye test only, zero stats to back it up) that we've struggled against teams with a high pressing intensity - often results in us rushing our decisions/going long/giving away possession, so find it a bit odd that their game plan was to basically let us have it in our own half
Played the percentages?

shmmeee

Tactics were spot on. Haji Wright still could have run more when not doing this tactic.

AJB1983

Fascinating. When you see it like that it make absolute sense - and you realise how switched on every player needs to be.
to me there’s certain things that are obvious when you’re watching it - the starting again by going back and shifting the play to create space, but the other stuff like how the strikers position themselves in their press with hindsight you see it, despite it looking frustrating at the time.

wonder what goes through robins and the players minds when half the crowd are screaming for them to charge down every player every time.

I’d have liked to see us press the man a little more in this situation. We let them hold the ball and wait for them to pass out which led to a bit of stalemate at times.

The rationale behind their passive first line was to leave Gunn (28) as NCFC’s only free man, rather than pressing & leaving McLean (23) or Sara (17) free & accessible via a centre-back. • But when a CF (usually Simms) did press, he curved his run to force NCFC to 1 side.

junglej13

I generally hate these analytic pages on twitter. Probably ran by 14 year old Championship Manager players. I will say I was very critical of Wright's workrate on Sat (would love to see how many times he sprinted) but him and Simms were clearly under instruction not to press. Not so sure about this perfect set up against Norwich. They were very low on confidence and had lost 3 in 4 I think. We barely created anything. If we hadn't scored a fortunate late equaliser the team could have been booed off. Feels like we showed them too much respect. By comparison I'd love to see how Plymouth approached their game with Norwich a couple of weeks back.

SBAndy

I’d have liked to see us press the man a little more in this situation. We let them hold the ball and wait for them to pass out which led to a bit of stalemate at times.

The rationale behind their passive first line was to leave Gunn (28) as NCFC’s only free man, rather than pressing & leaving McLean (23) or Sara (17) free & accessible via a centre-back. • But when a CF (usually Simms) did press, he curved his run to force NCFC to 1 side.

Got undone a couple of times in the first 5-10 mins overcommitting though, they just played a switched ball over to the other CB. Didn’t require the passing accuracy that the softer press afforded us.

BlueSkiesForever

Great level of info Shepard, it’s good to see more of this sort of stuff, it shows that Robins is thinking about how we should be setting up against different teams, something I was questioning about him a few weeks ago on here.

Interesting that he wanted the two strikers to not press and wait for the midfield to create chances when we regained possession rather than get the ball from the strikers and wait for the midfield to join the attack. I’m guessing Godden will be back in the squad after the break so it’ll be interesting to see what the differences are in how we set up according to the stats post-game.

Evo1883

No replies. Strange, last week loads of posters said they knew exactly what robins wanted from a press.
To be fair , this proves that players are playing off instructions , it also pretty much confirms godden is also playing off instructions

It also proves that Mark robins has his head screwed on tactically

This is what I said
Screenshot_20231010_205621_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Briles

Great Post, would like to see more of these

Users who are viewing this thread