Sarah Everard (5 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Singapore is one of the safest places in tbe world to walk the streets. Why?
It's densely populated and got tons of CCTV. Pretty decent chance you'll be found out. Plus it's a very rich place so a lot of the low level crime due to deprivation isn't happening.

Grendel

It's densely populated and got tons of CCTV. Pretty decent chance you'll be found out. Plus it's a very rich place so a lot of the low level crime due to deprivation isn't happening.

Have you been there?

Sky Blue Pete

As a victim of serious crime I can only give my perspective. I don’t know how I can do all I’m involved in I don’t think I can add anything more at the moment. I suppose I could consider magistrates at some point
Do you spend as much time talking to the victims of these prisoners you council and take their views on board?

Skybluefaz

Talk me through how you manage 1000 men when they have nothing to do
Carry On Mood GIF

shmmeee

Singapore is one of the safest places in tbe world to walk the streets. Why?

It’s the most developed nation on earth with massive GDP per capita that allows massive spending on education as well as Asian cultural norms that are very different to the U.K.

What policies would you implement here and what impact would you expect?

chiefdave

With impeccable timing while were talking about the causes of crime and what could be done to reduce offending seems the government has scrapped the 10 year mental health & wellbeing plan

clint van damme

It’s the most developed nation on earth with massive GDP per capita that allows massive spending on education as well as Asian cultural norms that are very different to the U.K.

What policies would you implement here and what impact would you expect?

Given their attitude to transparency and corruption I don't think it's a model the tories would be too keen to pursue

shmmeee

Given their attitude to transparency and corruption I don't think it's a model the tories would be too keen to pursue

If people want us to regress to an authoritarian model of one party government just say so.

Asian societies have more respect for rule of law because they’re heavily authoritarian both in terms of government and family. We’ve moved past that to a liberal democracy. Oh no :(

skybluetony176

The new MET police commissioner has admitted that it’s more than a few bad apples, more ghastly stories to come and 2-3 officers a week will be in court for weeks to come.

I guess the only thing to say is at least they’re now taking it seriously or at least more seriously than his predecessor.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

The new MET police commissioner has admitted that it’s more than a few bad apples, more ghastly stories to come and 2-3 officers a week will be in court for weeks to come.

I guess the only thing to say is at least they’re now taking it seriously or at least more seriously than his predecessor.
Yep the courts catching back up

Saddlebrains

Slightly off topic, but linked to the original reason for the thread

Been reading about missing Nicola Bulley

Logged onto a work call at 9am Friday while taking her dog for a walk on her usual route by the river

Phone was found 15 minutes after she was last scene sat on a bench, still logged into a work call, dog harness on the towpath and dog looking 'distressed'

Been no sign of her since. Seems very strange

rob9872

I'm all for promoting that domestic violence is wrong against women, but Delilah today being banned from being sung at Welsh Rugby games is surely beyond parody.

shmmeee

I'm all for promoting that domestic violence is wrong against women, but Delilah today being banned from being sung at Welsh Rugby games is surely beyond parody.

This kind of thing is counterproductive and just makes a mockery of serious things.

Saw something about not using violent language on Twitter that suggested instead of saying “kill two birds with one stone” we should say “feed two birds with one scone”.

clint van damme

This kind of thing is counterproductive and just makes a mockery of serious things.

Saw something about not using violent language on Twitter that suggested instead of saying “kill two birds with one stone” we should say “feed two birds with one scone”.

I saw some of those suggestions but I didn't see that one, that's brilliant!

Sky Blue Pete

That’s right I think. Sometimes perception is powerful but it has to go hand in hand with actual changes.

I’d like to understand a little more from those working in domestic violence as to whether things like this have an impact on normalising behaviour

My mate who’s not into football says as domestic violence increases during England games and world cups so why not just ban the events?

Well that’s daft and that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do something we should

Brighton Sky Blue

That would also kill them to be fair. Especially if Mrs BSB had baked the scone.

shmmeee

That’s right I think. Sometimes perception is powerful but it has to go hand in hand with actual changes.

I’d like to understand a little more from those working in domestic violence as to whether things like this have an impact on normalising behaviour

My mate who’s not into football says as domestic violence increases during England games and world cups so why not just ban the events?

Well that’s daft and that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do something we should

Does he feel we should ban Christmas too?

Seems the research suggests what works is monitoring and accountability. So friends family and the justice system pulling men up on it.

Sky Blue Pete

Does he feel we should ban Christmas too?

Seems the research suggests what works is monitoring and accountability. So friends family and the justice system pulling men up on it.
He doesn’t really feel we should ban football he’s just saying it’s strange that when we can do something to make things better we dont and that’s interesting. It’s like alcohol and smoking being legal and cannabis illegal. These decisions all have benefits and costs.

My take on Delilah is it won’t make any difference at all to domestic violence so is utterly pointless
It would be better to increase the cost of alcohol on days when there are games

shmmeee

He doesn’t really feel we should ban football he’s just saying it’s strange that when we can do something to make things better we dont and that’s interesting. It’s like alcohol and smoking being legal and cannabis illegal. These decisions all have benefits and costs.

My take on Delilah is it won’t make any difference at all to domestic violence so is utterly pointless
It would be better to increase the cost of alcohol on days when there are games

Being drunk doesn’t make people abusive and neither does sport or family holidays. Really it’s about a personality type and whether they think they can get away with it. Something I was reading made a good point which is that these men wouldn’t fight a policeman or their boss because they know there would be consequences and similarly wouldn’t abuse their wife at a party. It’s because at home against someone they view as controllable they think they can get away with it. Alcohol or football might make those men more likely to offend but it’s the men that are the problem. Male aggression and entitlement over women is a much harder problem to solve than beer or footy though. And if we need other men on the lookout and policing I’m not sure punishing everyone with seemingly silly rules is productive.

Sky Blue Pete

Being drunk doesn’t make people abusive and neither does sport or family holidays. Really it’s about a personality type and whether they think they can get away with it. Something I was reading made a good point which is that these men wouldn’t fight a policeman or their boss because they know there would be consequences and similarly wouldn’t abuse their wife at a party. It’s because at home against someone they view as controllable they think they can get away with it. Alcohol or football might make those men more likely to offend but it’s the men that are the problem. Male aggression and entitlement over women is a much harder problem to solve than beer or footy though. And if we need other men on the lookout and policing I’m not sure punishing everyone with seemingly silly rules is productive.
That’s almost saying guns don’t kill people people kill people

shmmeee

That’s almost saying guns don’t kill people people kill people

I’d argue the guns in this analogy are the violent men. And we can’t ban men really or reliably know which are violent. If we could we could solve an awful lot of crime.

Sky Blue Pete

I’d argue the guns in this analogy are the violent men. And we can’t ban men really or reliably know which are violent. If we could we could solve an awful lot of crime.
Ah ok that’s an interesting thought. There are signs aren’t there and a lot could be done by encouraging men to step up and police themselves and their friends. We are shit sometimes

shmmeee

Ah ok that’s an interesting thought. There are signs aren’t there and a lot could be done by encouraging men to step up and police themselves and their friends. We are shit sometimes

Yeah. I hope something similar to the drunk driving and smoking social changes can happen where it’s just seen as unacceptable could happen.

I think some of the public information campaigns that have started recently are a good start.

Sky Blue Pete

Yeah. I hope something similar to the drunk driving and smoking social changes can happen where it’s just seen as unacceptable could happen.

I think some of the public information campaigns that have started recently are a good start.
Same

Terry_dactyl

While it hasn’t been banned, I think it’s a bit of a strange thing to do. The cynic in me thinks this is a move to deflect from the current misogyny investigation into the WRU.
The debate about this song has been happening for years. I’m not sure the song glorifies DV…just tells a story? Right?

Users who are viewing this thread