Scholes slams 'selfish' stars for holding England back (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Paul-Scholes-England-Croatia-Euro-2004_2604068.jpg

Paul Scholes believes the attitude of some 'selfish' international stars continues to hold England back.

The 36-year-old, who has recently slipped into retirement, won 66 caps for his country over the course of a glittering career.

The Manchester United midfielder slipped out of the scene after Euro 2004, with his decision to call time on his international commitments coming as a surprise to many.

It was suggested that he had grown disillusioned with being played out of position with England, with then boss Sven-Goran Eriksson often asking him to fill a role wide on the left.

Scholes, though, claims he had merely become 'fed up' with the attitude of some of his international colleagues - with many seeing the Three Lions as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

He said:
"I just got fed up. When you are going to a team, you want to be part of a team and play well, but there are individuals who are after personal glory.

"I always felt when I first started with England that players - especially players at clubs like your Aston Villas - try to use England as a way to get to a top club. You feel, are they there for the right reason?

"I think they are very selfish people. They are all there to get their bit of glory, their bit of headlines, to think 'I will get a move from this'. I think that is the biggest problem with English players."

Frustration

Having been a key part of the Manchester United side through their dominance of the Premier League era, Scholes admits he and his Old Trafford team-mates would come away from England camps frustrated.

He also says it is 'laughable' that Fabio Capello's current side are still rated amongst the favourites to win major tournaments, and believes they will not do so until they start to mirror the selfless ethos of World and European champions Spain.

"It was a frustration for us United lads," he added of spending time in the camp with other players.

"When there is a simple pass of 10 yards, they might try and smack it 80 yards. They will do things to try and get themselves noticed.

"If you look at the Spain team now, they all seem to play for each other. There isn't one of them who would try to do something in a game that doesn't suit the team. And that could happen over here.

"If you look through our teams, there are loads of technically brilliant players but for some reason when we go on to the international scene, we don't look like that.

"We're the favourites every time and we probably will be next time. I think it is quite laughable. It is just the mentality of English people, we think we are going to win everything."

Marty

Scholes is spot on, said the same thing when we played that international game last month.

Paxman II

Well said that man... I've said it many times on various forums b4 about England and he has just confirmed it. Total disgrace and why we have not won a dam thing with so many 'talented' club players around.
I will say again it's time for major change, out with the Italian in with someone like Harry and play for the badge. Most of today's England players would never be in my new squads again as I built something frsh from the ground up. The Gerards, Lampards, Rio's etc have all had their chances more than a few times. We need change to move on.......

rob9872

His points may be spot on, but this is the same Paul Scholes who if it meant anything to him would have been one of the players playing the 10 yard ball and not the 80 yard ball and maybe things would have been better, but no Paul you were a "selfish star" who wanted to quit international to prolong your own club career. So retire gracefully and stop being a ginger whinger.

Tonylinc

His points may be spot on, but this is the same Paul Scholes who if it meant anything to him would have been one of the players playing the 10 yard ball and not the 80 yard ball and maybe things would have been better, but no Paul you were a "selfish star" who wanted to quit international to prolong your own club career. So retire gracefully and stop being a ginger whinger.
Totally disagree with that. Paul Scholes always represented his country with honour. If he has a point now to make in retirement then he is perfectly correct to make it. Would have welcomed him here at the Ricoh for his final year!

ccfc2011

paul scholes is one of the best englands players ever a fantastic football and generally nice bloke.

Ernie Machin

He was played out of position by a man more concerned with knocking off secretaries, in favour of those Hollywood players Frank "RIP PAT" Lampard and Steven bloody Gerrard. Scholes was the best English player of his generation frankly.

rob9872

To be fair guys I've not questionned his ability, to me that's not in doubt. What I do object to is that this is undoubtedly a preview of a pending book deal. He has had many opportunities to set the record straight without the six years that have passed to think up excuses. Imo as a man who turned his back on his country, he has no right to criticise others. Whatever your club comitments and financial position, playing for your country should always be the pinacle of your career.

I heard Bobby Charlton explaining how his role in the World Cup final was simply to stop Beckenbaur playing. He was our best and most creative player then, but he did his job quietly and efficiently. That shows more class.

Ernie Machin

Different game to then and now. Scholes was deliberately pushed aside to make way for two players who didn't play well together, just to satisfy certain egos. This wasn't for just one game to mark an important player out of the game, either. Scholes never mouthed off during his career, so I don't have a problem with him making a few statements now, especially as he's clearly correct.

bamalamafizzfazz

Rob have too say that I wholly agree with your point. Scholes let his country down by not playing on longer.

I don't understand why he has come out now with such an unnecessary statement when he has a reputation for keeping his head down and getting on with his job. It is not exactly clear who he is talking about (I think it might be Barry) but to specifically name players who play for Villa is unprofessional.

"It was a frustration for us United lads,"
This comment makes it appear to me that the England set up is or has been at times quite clicky and a divide between players who play at United or other 'Top' clubs and the rest of the squad which is unhealthy for team morale and could explain the lack of success in recent years.

SkyBlueScottie

Rob have too say that I wholly agree with your point. Scholes let his country down by not playing on longer.

I don't understand why he has come out now with such an unnecessary statement when he has a reputation for keeping his head down and getting on with his job.

While I would have preferred him to carry on playing for England, you have to recognise that if he didnt want to play for them then the only decision is to stop. Why would you want a player who obviously does not want to do it?

As for getting on with the job etc, well its the fact he did that, now means that he can speak out, he is not a footballer anymore, I would much prefer all footballers did it his way. He concentrated on his career, got the best out of himsel, was immensely successful, and is now offering an opinion, and who cares if he has a book deal? I would rather read his one book rather than multiple offerings of other players.

Covstu

the guy was a total professional, i agreed with his decision to step down as you do not need a player in the set up who no longer wants to play there. I totally agree with his statements and about time someone spoke up about it.

Users who are viewing this thread