Secret life of prisons (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody watching? Some shocking stuff

Astute

I always wonder what it's really like in prison. Is it really fighting for your life and watching your back all the time?
Three things help to see what your chances are. What prison are you in and what are you in for. And don't stand on the wrong persons toes.

bringbackrattles

I always wonder what it's really like in prison. Is it really fighting for your life and watching your back all the time?
When I done time it was in closed prisons Winson Green and Stafford prison. Both were hard nicks and there was always an air of menace there.
But if you wanted a peaceful time it wasn't easy, and you had to stand up for yourself. But the screws were in control most of the time,now it seems like the cons rule the roost.

mrtrench

I'm interested in prisons. How likely is it that criminals can be reformed with proactive help and encouragement rather than incarceration & living in a poisonous atmosphere?

bringbackrattles

I'm interested in prisons. How likely is it that criminals can be reformed with proactive help and encouragement rather than incarceration & living in a poisonous atmosphere?
I deserved to go to prison and just got on doing my time. But many rebel and moan and groan and act as if they shouldn't be there etc.
Many go to education classes,but many don't do anything, many get their head down and behave themselves, but many look for trouble and act like kids.
So to answer your question,yes you can use your time wisely if you really want to, its down to yourself.

Nick

Administrator
The amount of drugs they were getting in was crazy. I have seen stuff about that Spice before, no idea what it is but it looks horrible.

Bumberclart

It genuinely looks out of control.
The cons seem to have total control and have far too much time unsupervised.

bringbackrattles

The amount of drugs they were getting in was crazy. I have seen stuff about that Spice before, no idea what it is but it looks horrible.
When I was inside you'd get high on Old Spice ! Joking, it was the odd mug of hooch. Then again that was vile and lethal too.

Nick

Administrator
When I was inside you'd get high on Old Spice ! Joking, it was the odd mug of hooch. Then again that was vile and lethal too.

Were weapons about like they seem to have now? I always thought it was things like toothbrushes with razor blades.

Find it all interesting in a weird kind of way.

When I have known people, they havent really wanted to talk about it too much and it feels a bit weird asking them.

bringbackrattles

Were weapons about like they seem to have now? I always thought it was things like toothbrushes with razor blades.

Find it all interesting in a weird kind of way.

When I have known people, they havent really wanted to talk about it too much and it feels a bit weird asking them.
In Stafford gaol razor slashing was common as was snooker/pool balls in a sock which caused damage. Fist fights were over quick as the alarm went off and screws would steam in and drag you down the block. Madness !

Liquid Gold

Its shocking that 50% of inmates are back inside before a year is out. It's easy to say prisoners don't deserve fair treatment and are there to be punished but when they are treated like humans and actually given the assistance to rehabilitate many of them do. We should be looking at a more Scandinavian system, Norway have one of the lowest reoffender rates in the world. I don't think it could happen over here though the right wing press would have a field day, even if it was better for society as a whole.

Nick

Administrator
Its shocking that 50% of inmates are back inside before a year is out. It's easy to say prisoners don't deserve fair treatment and are there to be punished but when they are treated like humans and actually given the assistance to rehabilitate many of them do. We should be looking at a more Scandinavian system, Norway have one of the lowest reoffender rates in the world. I don't think it could happen over here though the right wing press would have a field day, even if it was better for society as a whole.

What sort of things do they do over there?

I do thing the crime / when it happened and circumstance should be judged when looking at jobs for example rather than "they have been to jail, so no job"

clint van damme

I've read that article before and there's a lot agree with.
I've always been of the opinion that people go to prison as punishment and while there they should be rehabilitated.
Some people find that unpalatable but they might end up in your community once they've served their time, so what type of person would you want them to be upon release?
Of course, there are those whose crimes are so bad they should never be released.

Gazolba

Extremely unlikely. You would need to catch them very early in their criminal career (and it is a career) like in their teens or before.

bringbackrattles

Extremely unlikely. You would need to catch them very early in their criminal career (and it is a career) like in their teens or before.
I came out of prison twenty years ago and told a screw on reception you won't see me again. He laughed and said " You'll be back, they always come back. " I decided this wasn't the life for me and turned my life around, but I was determined and have done it. But you have to WANT to change,that's the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread