Seeing out games (1 Viewer)

Warwickhunt

Its about time MR started to bring Shithousing in when we are leading in Extra time and disrupt the other teams momentum!! Watching games over Xmas and some teams have it down to a Tee if you ask me.

Evo1883

Its about time MR started to bring Shithousing in when we are leading in Extra time and disrupt the other teams momentum!! Watching games over Xmas and some teams have it down to a Tee if you ask me.

No amount of shithousing will stop twatty headers towards your own box instead of upfield and players giving refs decisions to make on the edge of the area

Warwickhunt

No amount of shithousing will stop twatty headers towards your own box instead of upfield and players giving refs decisions to make on the edge of the area
Twatty headers are caused by momentum and pressure! if someone went down rolling around like they have been shot and have a nice freindly conversation with the trainer/medics for a couple of minutes it would certainly stop the city players panicing. You have to admit City were panicing like Fook

stupot07

What got to agree, I thought we were really sloppy last 10, the ball didn't stick, we made poor decisions giving cheap ball away, dropped deeper and deeper inviting them on, and started to look really leggy and open across the park. The pressure had been building for a while.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SkyblueTexan

I agree we need to get better at shithousing late in games when we have the lead. Rolling on the ground like you got shot, late substitutions just to waste time, taking the ball to the corner flag and dawdling on it, taking your own sweet time to take goal kicks (which Collins has been trying to do) or throw ins etc. These are all certain elements we need to add to our gamesmanship to see things out.

Cally Fedora

There’s a reason there are so many late goals. If teams are behind you’ll normally see two things. 1) They’ll bring another forward on as “they need a goal” and 2) They’ll start hitting longer balls as “they need a goal”. Which begs some obvious questions. The game is now obsessed with possession. Which is easy on the eye but not always effective.

Travs

This is why the game of football has basically gone to shit.

"shithousing" is now such a part of the game that we are happy to see our own team do it.

Personally i'd rather not bother paying £30+ to hope my club time-waste.

Hobo

I agree we need to get better at shithousing late in games when we have the lead. Rolling on the ground like you got shot, late substitutions just to waste time, taking the ball to the corner flag and dawdling on it, taking your own sweet time to take goal kicks (which Collins has been trying to do) or throw ins etc. These are all certain elements we need to add to our gamesmanship to see things out.
Possession in the right areas winds the clock down. When trapped in defence hoof it as far as you can and buy yards.

The gamesmanship you suggest just adds minutes on the clock and actually increases the pressure.

Cov kid 55

"shithousing" is now such a part of the game that we are happy to see our own team do it.

Absolutely this. We’ve seen some appalling examples of shithousery in recent seasons, think Preston and Blackburn at the Ricoh last season, which drove me, and others, mad. It’s not why I pay money to see, and I don’t want to watch my team doing it. I’d rather we passed the ball better and retained possession, and didn’t make daft decisions and mistakes, which give the other team an opportunity to get back at us. The best way to hang onto a one goal lead, is to go up the other end and score again, ie, Sheff Wed.

Evo1883

Shithousing can also add more time on than was given , and more time for the opposition to score

SBAndy

Shithousing can also add more time on than was given , and more time for the opposition to score

2 points on this:

1. at our level, it’s very rare to see additional time added on beyond what’s been announced. Friday for example, there’s a free kick and a goal in stoppage time and still just 40 seconds added on to the 4 mins.
2. it’s also about breaking up the flow of the game.

Sky Blue Pete

2 points on this:

1. at our level, it’s very rare to see additional time added on beyond what’s been announced. Friday for example, there’s a free kick and a goal in stoppage time and still just 40 seconds added on to the 4 mins.
2. it’s also about breaking up the flow of the game.
Yep

SkyblueTexan

Possession in the right areas winds the clock down. When trapped in defence hoof it as far as you can and buy yards.

The gamesmanship you suggest just adds minutes on the clock and actually increases the pressure.
I don’t know how many minutes the gamesmanship I suggested will add to the clock, but at least it alleviates the immediate pressure on the defence after an onslaught of attacks that come in waves. Basically it breaks up the momentum and forces the opponent to start all over again and buys us time to get a breather and not panic. Ideally getting a second goal ala Sheff Wed would be the best option, but otherwise shithousing is the way to go to protect a lead if the team is unable to protect/manage it by passing the ball around.

Legia Sky Blue

Part of the problem in trying to kill a game that we are winning is that we stop trying to play the way which has successfully got us ahead in the match. Defending deeper and inviting on pressure, wasting time and playing for the corners when attacking are often counter productive. The best means of keeping a lead should be to continue to dominate the play and trying to score another goal that then definitively wins the game.

I despair sometimes when the opposition throw another player forward and leaving themselves completely vulnerable at the back, that when we inevitably get a counter attack with numbers in our favour, that we don't try to score, but rather slow up to keep possession or head for the corner flag. Either way once we lose possession the pressure is immediately back on us, and the law of averages inevitably results in us conceding a late equaliser from time to time.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Absolutely this. We’ve seen some appalling examples of shithousery in recent seasons, think Preston and Blackburn at the Ricoh last season, which drove me, and others, mad. It’s not why I pay money to see, and I don’t want to watch my team doing it. I’d rather we passed the ball better and retained possession, and didn’t make daft decisions and mistakes, which give the other team an opportunity to get back at us. The best way to hang onto a one goal lead, is to go up the other end and score again, ie, Sheff Wed.
Nah - I’d rather us win games. The shithousery is forgotten if you take 3 points

Travs

This is the issue.... fans just lap up all the shit, shrug their shoulders, and say "well this is the modern game".

(i'm not claiming to know the solution either!)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

When it gets later in the games we tend to defend deeper and try to sit on a lead instead of doing our line 10 yards futher up the pitch.
The Swansea game not only were we doing that but I think got unlucky with the free kick.Thought the ref.(who had an otherwise decent game) bought the dive.The lineup of the wall left a large gap between Sheff and O'Hare and Cullen said thank you very much.

Grendel

It’s hardly a new thing is it

Brighton Sky Blue

Alternatively if you take your chances more often you won’t be relying on a one goal lead. Had loads of opportunities to kill the game off before that point.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

This is the issue.... fans just lap up all the shit, shrug their shoulders, and say "well this is the modern game".

(i'm not claiming to know the solution either!)
Not really that - we’d rather just see our team win.

give me shithouse winning football over pretty losing football

Users who are viewing this thread