Set pieces (1 Viewer)

skyblueeyesrevisited

So 31 corners in the last two games and zero goals. Add to this every free kick outside shooting range goes backwards and sideways. More often than not ending up with Ben Wilson.
It seems everyone except our coaching staff knows the importance of set plays in the championship.

Sbarcher

So 31 corners in the last two games and zero goals. Add to this every free kick outside shooting range goes backwards and sideways. More often than not ending up with Ben Wilson.
It seems everyone except our coaching staff knows the importance of set plays in the championship.
We had 2/3rds possession last night. This is the reverse of our game style for the last couple of seasons. We have no quick outlet or penetration, just knock it around midfield playing keep ball.

Macca1987

We had 2/3rds possession last night. This is the reverse of our game style for the last couple of seasons. We have no quick outlet or penetration, just knock it around midfield playing keep ball.
Would like to know what our possession was in the opposition final third

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's not the fact there were no goals so much as there didn't even look like a sniff of even a half decent chance. You can have attempts saved, deflected etc and still look dangerous. By the end it was like they were deliberately giving us them cos they knew it'd be an easy way to run down time.

napolimp

We need to find a way of being dangerous from set-pieces. We get a lot of them, and have some big guys in defence.

Frostie

We have actually scored the (joint) most set piece goals in the league with 6. We scored 7 all last season.

Sounds crazy but we did start the season well with them, better delivery Hamer, Palmer etc. but had a lot of movement & a real plan to attack them. Delivery now is inconsistent at best & we seem far too static imo.

fernandopartridge

We have actually scored the (joint) most set piece goals in the league with 6. We scored 7 all last season.

Sounds crazy but we did start the season well with them, better delivery Hamer, Palmer etc. but had a lot of movement & a real plan to attack them. Delivery now is inconsistent at best & we seem far too static imo.

I think the lack of movement comes from the lack of confidence in where the ball will land. Thomas did hit the bar v Blackburn from a corner.

PVA

I don't think we're a very big team.

McFadzean and Latibeaudiere are both under 6ft I believe

Kitching and Thomas both contributed a reasonable number of goals last season so I think we'll look more threatening with them in the team, and indeed Thomas looks the most likely to score from set pieces so far

napolimp

If we don't have anyone who can deliver a decent ball into the box, why don't we try something different. Actually work on carefully planned movements for short corners or something. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it could work with a disciplined approach. I'd like to see long throws into the box now MVE's back too, can't hurt and often causes chaos. Basically just want to see the ball go into the box more in general.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't think we're a very big team.

McFadzean and Latibeaudiere are both under 6ft I believe

Kitching and Thomas both contributed a reasonable number of goals last season so I think we'll look more threatening with them in the team, and indeed Thomas looks the most likely to score from set pieces so far
McFadzean is listed as 6'1''. Latibeaudiere is 5'10''

Binks, Kitching and Thomas 6'3'', as are Simms and Wright up front.

We've got tall players. and as you said some of these players scored a decent number of goals for other teams last year. So if they're not for us this year I'd suggest we need to look at delivery and how we play more. We all know Eccles' set pieces are about as lethal as a polystyrene baseball bat.

Adge

So a corner count of 31 against Bristol City and Rotherham?
Would it be unreasonable to assume that even a Sunday league footballer would deliver at least 2 or 3 out of 31 to a teammate/target?

Last edited:

ceetee

So a corner count of 31 against Bristol City and Rotherham?
Would it be unreasonable to assume that even a Sunday league footballer would deliver at least 2 or 3 out of 31 to a teammate/target?
You're absolutely right. I didn't progress beyond the village reserve team but I could take a decent corner. However if the defenders out-compete your own players nothing will come of it

napolimp

You're absolutely right. I didn't progress beyond the village reserve team but I could take a decent corner. However if the defenders out-compete your own players nothing will come of it

No need to brag mate. We're not all Village reserve team level footballers.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I've said it a lot, but we are a goal-shy team throughout the squad. Yes, the routines and delivery are a bit shit, but there isn't much faith that one of our big lads from the back would actually be a threat at all.

We've also got at least two long throw experts, yet we don't use them. It's silly.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

No one attempts to come to the near post for corner or crosses.Free kicks on edge of the area result in a straight shot at goal never a variation of rolling the ball to someone along side them .We are too predictable.

Users who are viewing this thread