Shamima Begum Not Allowed Back. (4 Viewers)

Astute

The crime she is alleged to have committed is technically and likely to have been in this country in any case. It isn't illegal to go to Syria.

Her alleged crime is more to do with the Preparation of Terrorism rather than it in itself. Hence she should be tried here. There is also genuine public interest in understanding who and what radicalised her
So are you saying that she radicalized people in the UK when she was 15 and did nothing wrong when in Syria?

Last edited:

Grendel

It's very contradictory isn't it. Too young to vote, but at 15 they know exactly what they are doing.

It’s hardly comparable is it? Venebles Thompson and Bell all knew what they were doing it’s hardly an argument for voting age reduction

ccfc92

Okay. I didn't know that. Big factor if so I would have thought.

I don't know for sure, I just remember it being reported at the time I think.

But yeah, massive factor. "Yes Darling, of course you can join ISIS".

ccfc92

@hill83 - present for ya :kiss::joyful:

1195809_1.jpg

skynews-shamima-begum-is-bride_4580895.jpg

skyblue1991

I'm literally lost for words at this news.

How can someone knowingly leave the UK to join a notorious terrorist group after having their UK citizenship stripped have the chance to fight for it again?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

clint van damme

I'm literally lost for words at this news.

How can someone knowingly leave the UK to join a notorious terrorist group after having their UK citizenship stripped have the chance to fight for it again?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

as stated in this thread many times, no country can leave a citizen stateless.
The argument is whether she holds dual nationality and if she does would she be mistreated in the other country (Bangladesh), if she was returned there.
If she is allowed to keep her citizenship she should then be tried in a UK court.

The laws are made to protect us all and sometimes that means they protect wrong uns' but they are there for a reason.

hill83

The argument is whether she holds dual nationality and if she does would she be mistreated in the other country (Bangladesh), if she was returned there.
If she is allowed to keep her citizenship she should then be tried in a UK court.

The laws are made to protect us all and sometimes that means they protect wrong uns' but they are there for a reason.

Agree to be fair, but it's still annoying.

pastythegreat

But she's not stateless, she belongs to the Islamic state, that was her choice!

You cant turn your back on your family, your country and all its laws and rules, then just flounce back in when it all goes wrong.... well, subsequently you can, but it doesn't make it right.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

You cant turn your back on your family, your country and all its laws and rules, then just flounce back in when it all goes wrong.... well, subsequently you can, but it doesn't make it right.

you may recognise the islamic state as legitimate but I don't think the international community does!
I believe the Islamic state also dishes out justice ad hoc, we don't want to be following them.
There's a process, and it should be followed, it may have the side affect of helping her unfortunately though if the courts decide we cannot take away her citizenship then I can't see any reason she cannot be tried on some fairly serious charges.

fernandopartridge

Islamic state is not a recognised legitimate state. It would be ridiculous to recognise it as such.

Nick

Administrator
Apparently her own lawyer has not been able to guarantee that she won't come back and try to groom others.

SkyBlueDom26

Fucking joke, the system is a fucking joke there is no way she should be allowed anywhere near this country after what she did she knew exactly what she was doing at 15

clint van damme

Fucking joke, the system is a fucking joke there is no way she should be allowed anywhere near this country after what she did she knew exactly what she was doing at 15

your second statement is correct but it has no bearing on your first.
There's a good reason why it's illegal to leave citizens stateless.
A functioning democracy can't administer law on an adhoc basis.

SkyBlueDom26

your second statement is correct but it has no bearing on your first.
There's a good reason why it's illegal to leave citizens stateless.
A functioning democracy can't administer law on an adhoc basis.
She should be stateless tho after what she did, they all should

clint van damme

but countries aren't allowed to leave citizens stateless and there's a good reason for that.
I think she's an appalling human being no matter how young she is, but i'm not defending her, I'm defending the rule of law and due process.

pastythegreat

you may recognise the islamic state as legitimate but I don't think the international community does!
I believe the Islamic state also dishes out justice ad hoc, we don't want to be following them.
There's a process, and it should be followed, it may have the side affect of helping her unfortunately though if the courts decide we cannot take away her citizenship then I can't see any reason she cannot be tried on some fairly serious charges.
Thats it, we'll bring her back to serve prison time, where she will spend the next 10 years in prison grooming other people to hate the UK and possibly kill British citizens one day! What a fucking joke of a system.

clint van damme

Thats it, we'll bring her back to serve prison time, where she will spend the next 10 years in prison grooming other people to hate the UK and possibly kill British citizens one day! What a fucking joke of a system.

it's not a joke, but any system that's put in place to help people or protect people will occasionally benefit unsavoury characters. It may turn out that she's a Bangladeshi citizen in which case the government will be on solid ground by removing UK citizenship, hopefully that's the case.

skybluetony176

Was always going to happen. The only citizenship she’s ever held is U.K.. The Bangladeshi thing was never anything more than a cynical PR stunt to look tough ahead of a general election. She’ll win her citizenship back and then stand trial for her actions in joining IS. The only real question left is will she be trialed as a adult or as a juvenile given that she was only 15 at the point of her initial crime. Maybe she’ll have multiple trials, depends on what she did after joining IS and whether the evidence exists for a successful trial. I suspect though that she’ll only be trialed as a juvenile for traveling overseas to join IS and then serve the maximum prison sentence (6 years was a previous sentence for a woman traveling to join IS, although she was an adult at the time and took her son with her). Anyone expecting her to spend the rest of her life in prison may be disappointed.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If she remained a member of IS as an adult and (as seems to be the case) has not renounced or shown remorse at her actions she'll be tried as an adult.

Just cos you join a gang as a kid doesn't mean you should get tried as a kid if you're still doing shitty things in that gang in your twenties.

clint van damme

If she remained a member of IS as an adult and (as seems to be the case) has not renounced or shown remorse at her actions she'll be tried as an adult.

Just cos you join a gang as a kid doesn't mean you should get tried as a kid if you're still doing shitty things in that gang in your twenties.

she's renounced her actions but it's clearly PR. She should be tried as an adult.

Sick Boy

The issue is going to be what exactly are they going to charge her with that’s going to have a substantial prison sentence?

D

Deleted member 4439

As I said 5 minutes ago what crime did she commit in the UK?

Leave her where she is to rot.

Her crime as a British citizen was to join a proscribed group. She was a British citizen and should have faced trial for that. A person in power should not have the right to take away one's citizenship, and especially if that has has been derived as a right through birth in that country.

Users who are viewing this thread