Sheaf (1 Viewer)

messiahrobins

Compare him to the Hamer deal and it’s not unreasonable
£15m for Sheaf, and if Gyokeres moves on could mean we have £25million in the kitty. With what we already have in the team, that should give Robins enough to put together an automatic promotion challenging squad. I love Sheaf and would like him to stay, but every player has their price.

messiahrobins

If we sell Sheaf in the summer then that shows to me very little has really changed at the club since SISU.

Sell in 12 months time if we don't get promoted.

Having the heart of the midfield ripped out in Hamer and Sheaf in consecutive seasons will make it near impossible to go up next season.

We will have Eccles as the senior midfielder, Torp who will hopefully be good but will still be adapting to new country, and the speed of the championship, could we'll be we don't see the best of Torp till after Christmas next season

And some new midfielders who may or may not be good and we definitely won't see the best of these new signings for another 6-12 months.

Eccles and Torp doesn't look like a promotion midfield to me for next season.
Eccles is a fantastic player. Torp will be a PL player within 2 years, either with us or if we dont go up next season he will be gone as he is a monster player, we have seen signs of what he is capable of.
Sheaf is tremendous but that type of player is easier to replace than an ohare type player and less costly. Obviously though if we sell Sheaf it has to be for a good price. If we let him go for £5m for instance then your point is spot on.

Brighton Sky Blue

£15m for Sheaf, and if Gyokeres moves on could mean we have £25million in the kitty. With what we already have in the team, that should give Robins enough to put together an automatic promotion challenging squad. I love Sheaf and would like him to stay, but every player has their price.
The question is whether there’s enough interest from top flight clubs to pay that or more, Hamer only got an offer from the worst side in the Prem once they got desperate. Sheaf being English and generally more professional off the pitch sways it for me.

fernandopartridge

His peak value is now. If you could fetch £15-20m plus whatever from hopefully Gyo's transfer, you really should have enough to build a proper squad with change left over.

The issue is that the player himself isn't straightforward to replace
We're going to end up in a constant cycle of being nearly there but needing to sell another player to get us there, it's a bit like painting the forth bridge

torchomatic

Sheaf’s a quality player but not quite sure he’s prem league level ( unless with us) maybe one of the promoted teams take a chance on him ?
I'm with you there. Great player for us, but I would be amazed if a Prem team signed him.

Same with O'Hare. Don't think either are Prem quality.

Brighton Sky Blue

We're going to end up in a constant cycle of being nearly there but needing to sell another player to get us there, it's a bit like painting the forth bridge
This is less likely to happen if we think more seriously about succession planning in our recruitment. You sell Sheaf and sign players who’ll be ready to replace those we’re looking to sell next summer.

Deity

A possible scenario is that in Jan a Premier Club ( let’s call them Luton ) made Sheafs agent aware and the club that they wanted to sign Sheaf.

Sheaf and his agent made it clear they would not push for a move but want the club to know that the player wants to play in the Premier League.

The club go into this summer knowing if the right offer comes in the player wants to move on.

Speculation and rumours start to leave the City / player camps that Sheaf might move be sold in the summer ….

messiahrobins

The question is whether there’s enough interest from top flight clubs to pay that or more, Hamer only got an offer from the worst side in the Prem once they got desperate. Sheaf being English and generally more professional off the pitch sways it for me.
Only clubs i could see interested are the 3 who go up, and maybe Luton if they stay up, and maybe Forest. Surely Sheaf will want to have an idea of who we are bringing in this summer as that will factor in to his decision making, as one would think if it becomes apparent we are going for the title and autos he may give it another year here. If though it seems a play off push is best we can hope for then id imagine he wants out.

Great_Expectations

Surprised there isn’t more concern around this. Sheaf is a great player in a pivotal position, especially considering the way we are trying to play. He’s also been here a few years now, gets what MR/AV expect and want, and is clearly respected by the rest of the group.

It’s also another summer of needing to replace a key player, which, if timings aren’t great, will have an immediate detrimental effect to the start of the season, again.

Equally, if the worst happens and he goes, we have to remember that as big a loss as it will be, every player is replacement.

SkyblueTexan

He's injured again apparently. Also takes a long time to recover usually. Not sure if we should cash in or fend off potential offers. I guess every player has a price and 15-20M would be good business.

rexo87

Fantastic player but tends to miss 10-15 games a season through injury which I can see being a sticking point for him to get a move

Cov98

I like Sheaf, but I'll be honest I'm not sure he's premier league quality.. at least not yet. With Hamer it was obvious he was destined for a higher level, from range of passing, vision and overall reading of the game.

Sheaf still has too many little things to iron out of his game if he's looking to go up a level. Some games his passing really lets him down, whether it's going for an overly ambitious pass rather than the simple one or just general passing inaccuracy and sloppiness. The big thing for me is the turnover of possession in and around our own box, or trying to walk the ball out the box and getting into trouble. In fairness to him, I've seen it a lot less this season but still a few nervy moments when you're almost screaming at him to get rid or release the ball.

Another obvious one is the injury record. It's something he seems to struggle with.

For someone like us, the positives of his game definitely outweigh the little negatives because lets face it, there's not really many midfielders in this league that can win possession back and command the midfield like he can. The issue for him is, there's a plethora of midfielders with his qualities in the prem and the little things that let him down slightly might be the deal breaker for a prem team.

Skybluekyle

I think the biggest difference between Sheaf and Hamer/Gyokeres is that we're not desperate to sell and we still have, I want to say two years on his contract?

Obviously we still have a few players we could do with bringing in, but we're now building a squad rather than a first 11, like last season. If we are to sell Sheaf this summer, I think it will be on our terms, so expect us to extract a good amount of money out of the deal.

If we do not get a Gyokeres/Hamer/Sheaf windfall, we're pretty much in the same position as every summer, but we actually have a potential starting eleven that is actually ours. I think Sheaf will leave, but I think we are in a much better position than any summer for the last decade, at least.

long way home

This model doesn't work in 1 window or even 2 especially where we come from. You need to build the recruiting department then start by building the squad. 1st time is the big turnover of players, stop the reliance on loans by bringing in young talented players and placing them on long term deals.

You then get to every window build the team with better quality spread over the squad. We have 7 or 8 players on 4 year deals, players on less wil be looked at as move on, keep in and try to extend or keep on current deal let it expire and let them walk. Either way the importance on constantly improving the quality depth has to be maintained. To get down to 1 out 2 or 3 in is a good place and then we place responsibilities on the coaches to develop signed and our u21 players into 1st team players and club assets.

Its sad to see good players go as it was Vik and Gus but for the model to work it has to happen and happen for profit.

Blind-Faith

A possible scenario is that in Jan a Premier Club ( let’s call them Luton ) made Sheafs agent aware and the club that they wanted to sign Sheaf.

Sheaf and his agent made it clear they would not push for a move but want the club to know that the player wants to play in the Premier League.

The club go into this summer knowing if the right offer comes in the player wants to move on.

Speculation and rumours start to leave the City / player camps that Sheaf might move be sold in the summer ….
Alarm Siren GIF

😂

Colin Steins Smile

I think Sheaf is a Premier League level of player. He is class and I would expect the lower end of the PL clubs and those promoted from Championship to make a bid.

In terms of our finances, I think Vik's potential move is key. If he moves for big money, then we don't need to sell Sheaf. It'll be a case of whether he pushes for a move.

Either which way I would expect £15m + for Sheaf

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think Sheaf is a Premier League level of player. He is class and I would expect the lower end of the PL clubs and those promoted from Championship to make a bid.

In terms of our finances, I think Vik's potential move is key. If he moves for big money, then we don't need to sell Sheaf. It'll be a case of whether he pushes for a move.

Either which way I would expect £15m + for Sheaf
If Torp stamps his place next season he'll go the same way.

blunted

Sheaf definitely good enough for Prem. Anything less than £15 million should be rejected. Our best player by a country mile, although he need to improve his shooting.
With Torp lot of niggly injuries already. Probably due to his previous slower game experience in Norway. Do we get the Torp at Birmingham or the Wembley Torp? We shall see.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He's a very good player but not at the Hamer or Gyokeres level. Neither is O'Hare. That's why I think some of the figures being mentioned on here are well off. I might be wrong though and you never know with some teams, with figures like £80 million on Anthony and £100 million on Caicedo.

This is correct.

People are parroting about him being sold, but I don't think anyone has actually thought it through, mentioned a realistic price we would accept, or give a club that would be willing to pay that much for him.

There's people on here saying Hamer isn't worth 16 million, but he's got goals and assists, some of which has been replicated in the Premier League. I just cannot see anyone paying the same amount as that (which you would say would need to be the ballpark figure paid in order for DK to let him go) for Sheaf. He's a good championship midfielder with some outstanding attributes, but next to no goals, and no assists. That's usually what drives value.

The points per game stat is also funny in a variety of different ways, but let's not go there otherwise we'll really start upsetting people.

Alkhen

Sheaf showed against Wolves and Man United he has Prem potential. So glad he has 2 years left. We are in a strong position.

I wouldn't stand in his way if he wants a crack but we need to be firm that we aren't selling cheap as losing him and O'Hare in one window is a another huge rebuild.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I only think he'll go if he wants to, and I only think he'll want to if he has a definite offer from the PL.

Trouble is I can't see him being anyone's big target they want through the door early, so chances are it'd happen late in the window and that'd leave us a bit fucked if we're not preempting him going, a'la Hamer. Eccles and Torp are decent (and can still improve) so we'd be alright, but they're not quite the same level yet. Plus we'd be relying on them playing a hell of a lot.

Also I think he'd probably attract eight figure bids, but only just. Can't see anyone going to Hamer levels for him. Plus we probably need to maximise the transfer fee as given his age sell-ons aren't likely to be significant (though I'd still add them in as you never know)

hinckley cov

Automatic promotion, the problem with losing players like sheaf is we need to bring in players of an equal standard and as we’ve seen with wright and simms they sometimes take quite a bit of time to get up to speed, and by the time they have you’re miles off top two.

messiahrobins

Automatic promotion, the problem with losing players like sheaf is we need to bring in players of an equal standard and as we’ve seen with wright and simms they sometimes take quite a bit of time to get up to speed, and by the time they have you’re miles off top two.
If he goes, he needs to go soon so we can get a replacement in asap. Totally agree we cant be doing what we did this season and bring in players at the start of the season.

mmttww

Unless we're offered more than £15m for Sheaf this summer, I'd keep him for next season.

We don't have a high-performing 'spine' of a team from back to front like we did last season.

With him and a few good additions, we're a top 6 side. That's worth risking a few £m for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread