sheff utd awarded over west ham ruling (1 Viewer)

City Nut

An FA arbitration hearing has ruled in favour of Sheffield United in their claim for compensation from West Ham over the Carlos Tevez affair.The South Yorkshire club were relegated in a dramatic end to the 2006-07 season.

A Tevez-inspired Hammers beat Manchester United on the final day of the season to clinch top-flight safety at the Blades' expense.

The Premier League fined the Hammers a record £5.5m for fielding Tevez and Javier Mascherano when they were ineligible to play under league rules regarding third-party ownership.

United initially wanted to have their Premier League place reinstated and appealed that the monetary fine was insufficient.
Having failed in that regard they then turned their attentions to achieving a financial settlement.

The club today issued a statement on their official website, www.sufc.co.uk, claiming success in that case, although the exact nature of the compensation is as yet unclear.

Newspaper reports suggest the Blades could be looking for a figure of around £30m, while chairman Kevin McCabe is on record as saying that relegation cost United at least £50m in lost revenues.
McCabe said this morning: "I can confirm that both clubs have been notified of the ruling.

"The arbitration panel has awarded in our favour. The matter is still legally in process so I do not wish to comment any further until we have completed that process."

i think west ham shud have been relegated instead.

G

Gregsy!!

City nut i agree....relegation should have been the only option. i wonder what would of happened if a smaller club like say shrewsbury or hereford had breached the rules like this?

daveccfc

I think personally at the time West Ham should have been relegated because of it. I mean look at what happened to teams like Leeds just because of money. Let alone playing dodgy players?

simmouk

Administrator
I'm just sick of how money is the be all and end all of everything in football these days. Actually, properly, physically sick. Bastards, the lot of 'em!

Nick

Administrator
Even though a couple of Championship clubs are rich like QPR I still think this is why the Championship is always so close compared to the Premier League.

If Coventry were ever to get promoted how could they compete with teams like Man City or Chelsea?

simmouk

Administrator
I remember when getting promoted to the Prem was all about the glory and the achiement and the fact that you're team has outplayed and outclassed others in the league, earning you the right to mix it up with some of the best players and teams in the country at the highest level. Now it's just about how much money its going to mean to your club when/if you get promoted. It's a sad state of affairs that if someone said "would you like to carry on playing and try and win promotion in the traditional way, or would you like the equal money in cash right away..." it's obvious what the choice is gonna be - a quick cash injection. With foriegn owners coming in and buying up a load of English clubs, what identity will there be left in the "English" game - and where will the "game" aspect be? In the not so distant future, we'll be calling it the "Beautiful English Business"

daveccfc

I have just heard that at least one of the Sheff Utd players is planning to take action against West Ham for loss of earnings.

This could get pretty messy and to be honest, I hope it does :)

Users who are viewing this thread